to pursue an Architecture career

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
setiramisu

to pursue an Architecture career

Post by setiramisu »

Hi All.

My boyfriend has resigned from his engineering job in semicon industry (~7 years) to pursue a Masters study in Architecture. It has been his dream to do this. He has saved enough to last him a few years with his current level of expenses. I would estimate he is 2/3 way through to FI.

If it were me, I would have stayed until I am fully FI. But for him, he felt like it's like now or never.

Any thoughts on this? Do you know anyone who has switched to Architecture career in their mid-30's above and succeeded? I heard a lot about low pay high stress nature of an Architecture job. I'm interested in success stories but also would not mind hearing the other side of the story.

Well any comments are welcome. Thanks!

thebbqguy

Re: to pursue an Architecture career

Post by thebbqguy »

My nephew studied for an architecture degree but after better understanding the career path he has switched to another career field.

Chad

Post by Chad »

I think you are looking to needlessly worry and put stress on your relationship. You are already way past his decision point, so you can't influence him with any information you might be offered on on here. Every profession has it's negatives, even more so in a shaky economy. Second guessing him before he even graduates is not ideal.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

The husband of a coworker is a relatively young architecture graduate. Apparently the pay isn't great and jobs are hard to come by, but he landed a gig designing hospitals and really enjoys it. As an aside, that seems like a pretty solid architecture niche to get into these days (as opposed to designing homes for rich people).

Purely based on employment statistics, Architecture is not the best choice as a career path. But a fulfilling life is about more than just maximizing statistics. If it's truly your boyfriend's dream, he's aware of the risks, and he's willing to power through any rough spots, I admire his initiative.

chenda

Post by chenda »

I think in some ways he is persuing it at the best time. It sounds like he has enough for semi-retirement anyway which will better prepare him for the instability of an architectural career.

''If it's truly your boyfriend's dream, he's aware of the risks, and he's willing to power through any rough spots, I admire his initiative.''
+1

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

So you're asking - will things work out for the engineer that saved enough money to earn a masters degree in architecture with no loans...

I'm going to guess "yes" :)

He'll be fine. I can't tell you what he'll end up doing, but someone who is financially literate, motivated and capable tends to find success. I also suspect the background as an engineer, coupled with a solid work history, stacks the cards much more in his favor.

If anything, I'm a little envious. He has a dream, the courage to pursue it, and the ability to do it without any real risk. That's an awesome place to be in life.

setiramisu

Post by setiramisu »

Thanks for your replies, it's been valuable and inspiring.

I like learning from other other people's experiences and gain different perspectives. Indeed, my boyfriend has an ERE mindset and has been very concious with finances since he first started working.

Actually his main concern now is whether the actual Architecture job/career matched with what he imagined it would be. And whether in the end taking this 2 year off will be all worth it.