Step-by-step Pictorial of Converting Two Containers into a House

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
secretwealth

Post by secretwealth »

You can see the images here:
http://imgur.com/a/qF25a
Full description of the work here:
http://seacontainercabin.blogspot.com
Amazing work--it looks pretty much self-sustaining. Just amazing.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

That's amazing. I love the idea of using the containers. I have a serious question though for anyone who knows...are they a firetrap?
(I'll admit I have a bit of a phobia regarding this from working at Great Adventure when the Haunted Castle burned in '84)

FrugalZen

Post by FrugalZen »

Have dealt with shipping containers before...moving them usually.
Generally except for the internal floor which is thick wood over a steel base and skin...various reasons..main being wood will help absorb some moisture from internal condensation during shipment overseas as well as giving traction to forklifts loading and unloading them. Often the wood is also made of cedar to repel bugs...they can have a wonderful smell when you open one up thats been closed out in the hot sun for a while.
They used to be hermetrically (great door gaskets) sealed but too many stowaways died from lack of oxygen to that now all containers have up in the four corners a tiny covered grill that admits a little bit of air.
I have seen plans for taking one and cutting out windows but leaving the plates set up so they can be bolted back in place with a false wall and door at the door end behind the steel doors and a self contained "hotel room/efficiency" with a bathroom and small kitchen built inside one of them....the idea was ship the container overseas with your stuff in it (not inordinately expensive surprisingly) and once you are in the country of your choice having it trucked on a transport trailer to somewhere where you will set up housekeeping for a couple of months while you play the tourist...if you want to change cities you just have the trailer with the container towed there.

~~~~~
Funny but I thought the idea of having a small complex of them would be great and inexpensive....
9 foot wide 40 foot long containers set up in a ring around a common courtyard on foundations....you get a 25 foot by 50 foot "Lot".
10 foot of the lot with is for the container house and 15 foot is for gardens/storage/outside living space.
I would see it as no different than an old fashioned motel set up like you sometimes still see....small buildings that are the individual rooms...definately more room than a travel trailer or RV with the bonus of land to garden on.

Hoplite

Post by Hoplite »

Amsterdam intends to set up shipping container villages, but not at all ERE-like:
http://www.spiegel.de/international/zei ... 70976.html

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Converting a trailer into living space must seem like luxury living to this guy. He's converting a dumpster.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... vSZL4eppTQ#

Chad

Post by Chad »

This has been part of my retirement plan for a long time. Build a house with 6-8 of these shipping containers, with the ability to cut half the house off from heating and AC when there aren't any guests.
Plenty of designs on the web. I'm not sure about the fire thing, but they are very strong structurally. No need for a foundation, just concrete posts at the corners if that's how you want to go.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Looks great!

... but cost was $35k (excludes land) and probably 1000 hours labor... Might have been able to buy an existing house and completely remodeled it for $20k (includes land) and 250 hours.
Also, I'd be concerned about rust... It might take decades but I think eventually rust could undermine the crawl space beams. Perhaps pouring a slab could eliminate this risk.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Spray on insulation is commonly used to seal the metal.