How to save $25,000 in two hours.

Move along, nothing to see here!
Mirwen

Post by Mirwen »

I had one of those days were everything just seems to go wrong at once. In a single day I thought I may need major surgery and to pay for months of speech therapy for my son. The thought of paying for these overwhelmed me.
The surgery I thought I needed was surgery to correct a prolapsed uterus. I had it recommended to me before the birth of my son and after his natural birth following three+ days of labor. I balked at major surgery. However recently things have gotten worse. I cried today when I realized it had gone from grade II to grade III after a bout of the flu with a lot of coughing. I won't explain what that is here, if you want to know go look it up (uterine prolapse grade III). However, instead of calling up my doc to schedule surgery (like he wants me to do) I found a DVD for $22 that give a full course of physical therapy for the issue (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/051053 ... 00_s00_i00). Boom, $20,000 saved. Workouts instead of knives, good stuff.
Also my son may need speech therapy. He is 26 months and only says 10 words. More worryingly, he has never babbled and doesn't make any effort to try language sounds. Instead of making an appointment with an private speech development therapist for my son. I discovered that our state provides free care under a program called Early Intervention until age three. I can self refer and be evaluated in less than 45 days. I'll be contacting them on Monday. Savings? oh maybe $200/session x 26 weeks = $5200.
Not bad for two hours of surfing the net. The worrying thing is, most people would just do what their doctor told them and pay for the treatments. I know the me of two years ago very likely would too. No wonder insurance is expensive. Now don't get me wrong, I'm willing to pay for these things if it is really necessary, but I'm going to pursue all other alternatives first.

rcamp

Post by rcamp »

I was chatting with DW about your story, thanks for sharing. If the physical therapy will work, then congrats !
Also, we have many friends with kids, and two words sum up your sons predicament: don't panic. Wehonor 2 couples that had very similar concerns - that with time proved to be non issues. Be diligent, of course, but don't panic

Mo

Post by Mo »

@mirwen, my mother is very happy with her pessary. Obviously there are pros and cons, but it's a non-surgical consideration.