Bulk Brown Rice or Black Beans - Good Price?

Move along, nothing to see here!
Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

What's a good price to pay for brown rice or black beans bought in bulk? I've found both for $1/lb locally, but am wondering if I can do better.

tac

Post by tac »

I think those are pretty good prices--definitely better than many of the options in my area! I have looked into bulk mail ordering and I've generally found that the shipping costs will eat up the additional savings for large volume, heavy items like beans, rice, etc.
I'm not sure where you are finding your best prices, but if it is at something like a co-op where you buy as much or as little as you like from the bulk bins, you might want to ask if they offer a discount on larger purchases (my co-op offers a better rate on many items if you buy 25 or 50 lbs at a time).

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

The local Meijer has these prices, which is what makes me think it is possible to do better.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Do you have ethnic stores near you? An Indian or Hispanic grocer would have better prices.

tac

Post by tac »

If that's the price at a chain supermarket, I agree that you should do some more local shopping around.
Around here the best price I have been able to find on black beans is a little over $1/lb, and I've been to alllll the ethnic groceries, co-ops, big bulk warehouses, etc. Similar deal with brown rice. On the bright side, I can get ridiculously cheap produce year round, so I guess maybe it balances out.
Another thought: do you have a Costco around? My local Costco only stocks white rice and pinto beans, but the prices on both of those are much better than anywhere else (well under $1/lb). Unfortunately they don't stock brown rice or any beans other than pinto (I keep leaving them a little comment card every time I visit, maybe they will listen someday!), but I have heard that other Costco stores do have a wider variety, so perhaps take a look there.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Here in SoCal the cheapest I've found is for 10-25 lb sacks at Smart & Final, Mexican groceries, and Indian groceries, which are all competitive with each other. The best prices are for recurring sales which follow a regular pattern.
cheapest - .50-.60/lb - white rice, pinto beans
cheap - .70-.90/lb - black beans, green lentils, brown rice, basmati rice
moderate - 1.00-1.50/lb - chickpeas, red lentils, yellow lentils
When you buy these large bags it's important to invest in a storage system that protects against pests.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Catch the manager or owner at one of the ethnic/bulk/health food stores and ask what they charge for a full 20 or 50 pound bag of the items you want. Explain that you typically buy it from their competitor but wanted to know what they would charge.
I've made an arrangement like this with my local health food store for two specialty items that I buy by the caseload. The Whole Foods around the corner charges almost double for the same items.
Also, on the west coast Grocery Outlet often has great deals on staples. While they are not in bulk, they rival the bulk food prices.
http://www.groceryoutlet.com/goiapps/ap ... store.aspx
They are similar but cheaper than Aldi.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

I am in the suburbs of a major city, so I can shop at just about any type of store. I do dislike the membership fee and size of Costco.
Based on commodity prices I could find for black beans, I came up with a rough lower end of estimate of 30 cents / lb. That figure assumes a 24 ton minimum ordered from China though...
I sometimes stop at an Indian grocer for spices, I'll have to check their prices. There is also an Hmart nearby. I have no idea if they are competitive.
If shopping around only saves me 0.20/lb over Meijer, I may need to reconsider.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

I have to say, that if I'm eating 5-10 pounds of black beans per year, then trying to save $1.50-$3 per year is not worth the hunt.
Making the switch to eating these staples is probably worth more than trying to find the best price.

Maus

Post by Maus »

^^^ @GTOO
Indeed, assuming $1/lb. retail, which is not a stretch, and consumption of 1 lb. a day total, which would be a lot of rice and beans: you would save perhaps $0.40x365 (What? Nothing special for Christmas/Festivus/Solstice?), for a total of $146. At a 3% SWR, that represents just $4818 in lifetime ERE capital. Frugality may have descended into cheapness; and the time invested in searching for the $0.60 beans in 20 lb. bags better spent learning recipes to makes said beans more palatable.

tac

Post by tac »

WRT to whether or not it is "worth it" to shop around. If Scott is going to drive all over town looking at JUST the prices of beans/rice, then yeah...not worth it. I know for myself that when I first moved to my current location I made a point of visiting all of the stores within reasonable biking distance (about a half dozen) and making a note of their relative prices on staples like beans, rice, flour, eggs, milk. So now I know that X spot is a good place to buy beans, Y is the place to get flour, etc. If the price at the "best" place takes a sudden spike I will stroll down the aisles of other stores when I happen to be there and see if this spike is happening everywhere. Basically, I do think for groceries it's worth it to invest some time up front to establish what the "going rate" at any stores that are reasonably accessible to you are, determine which are best for staples, and then keep an eye on loss leaders to decide where you are buying produce in any given week (of the stores I first checked, 2 are less than a mile from my house, one is on my bike route to work, and 3 more are near my local library, which I visit almost weekly...so to suddenly start visiting one over the other would not be a major inconvenience).
Likewise, when I considered mail bulk ordering, I sat down and devoted a couple of hours to checking out multiple sites and figuring out shipping fees and determined that it was not a worthwhile endeavor for me. I'm not going to go cruising around looking for deals in that area anymore, unless my local situation changes drastically OR I hear through word of mouth of an AMAZING deal.
Short version: Even for low cost items, one initial round of shopping around can be worth it. Just know where to draw the line!

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

I expect to eat around 100lbs of staple grains a year. I like them. Back when I was spending $100/week for my food, I would always buy frozen brown rice and canned beans at Trader Joes. I was happy to pay $2.29 for a can of chili...
It is entirely possible Meijer is competitive enough that shopping my grains is not worthwhile. However, if there is a better option, and it only takes a couple hours to cultivate a habit that reduces required net worth by $1-2k, the time invested is worthwhile.
Also, the place that sells at the lowest prices may be better aligned with this type of cooking. Low prices mean high turn over, fresher product and possibly more variety. The store is also likely to offer a range of complementary foods at low prices. That all helps integrate the behavior change into my lifestyle.
I probably should have just used the time I spent thinking about this to stop by a few ethnic stores. Ah well, it's fun to play on the internet.
Bigato - I have read brown rice costs more because it spoils more quickly than white rice.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

>>Low prices mean high turn over, fresher product and possibly more variety.
I agree, although I'm looking for the lowest cost for the best quality-not just lowest cost. I generally don't like to drive around to save pennies here or there, so I plan my trips around other errands. If I'm going to be near the fishmonger, we have fish that night for dinner. Same with the butcher. I always stop when I'm near the farmers market to see what "old" produce they have marked down. I try really hard not to make a special/single trip anywhere.
I also think it's nice to establish a relationship with the small grocers. (which is funny since I'm not a people person) Maybe it's just because I like to cook? I've gotten some great recipes and cooking tips from the people I purchase from regularly. And if you shop at a slower time they're usually happy to explain new-to-you items or teach you how to cook something (like a cut of meat you've never tried).

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

In my case the prices are announced on weekly junk mail circulars that are mailed to my house whether I want them or not. I agree that mounting a major expedition to optimize these prices isn't worth it, but when it's a matter of skimming over flyers that someone else pays to stuff in my mailbox, why not.

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

I always thought brown rice was more expensive because it has a shorter shelf life, and because of the extra expense more inventory management (when white rice is more popular)

aptruncata

Post by aptruncata »

Brown rice at costco is $8.00 @25lbs. IMHO its hard to beat if you're looking for the higest quality for the lowest price.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

If brown rice is $0.32/lb, I may need to get over my dislike of Costco...

Mirwen

Post by Mirwen »

My Costco charges $13.13 for a 25 lb bag of calrose brown rice. I think they have an organic non-gmo version that is about $0.70/ lb.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Amusingly, after all this thought, I paid $1.10/lb at Trader Joes's for my brown rice on Friday. I was there for other stuff and have not had time to hit the ethnic stores or a Costco.

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

Trader joes has some pre-cooked brown rice that's a really terrible deal... but I got it once.