ERE Purgatory

Move along, nothing to see here!
jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

@aussierogue--I understand your point, and I try not to judge others for being idle. I guess I'm just not wired that way (wise or buddhist :)

djc

Post by djc »

@J,
This reminds me when I x-c skied for a whole winter. It was one of the highlights of my ERE time---a reward somewhat.
djc

newb

Post by newb »

"One solution is to find something else to live for with the job just being a secondary thing. This actually seems to be the normal state of being for most people. Their primary interest is their family, their travels, their interior decorating, their sports team, or whatever.

I have no idea what to do about this since I have the same problem. What I do/think about is very much like a relationship to me which seems to be a form of serial monogamy that lasts 5-10 years for each interest. My concern is in reaching a sort of "been there, done that" state for everything [interesting] one can possible do. Done academia, done semi-elite sports, done the visiting of a dozen+ countries, done living in other countries, done a book, done a popular website, done a nonprofit, done a bunch of hobbies, done several small businesses, now doing finance, ... what next?" -Jacob
Being that I'm new here, and the type of no nonsense person that always found philosephers the type of people that "think deep thoughts about being unemployed"; I think a some of you are overthinking way too much about things. Bigato and Aussierogue hit it on the head. The point of life is to enjoy the moment. Find new experiences. Try simply to just "Be". And, Jacob, your point about "been there, done that" tells me that perhaps either you havent mastered anything fully, or that your choices were too easy...not insulting you, just stating that many things in life are like an onion, they have multiple layers of meaning. Just because you did them for awhile and got tired of them, does that really mean you "mastered them"? No one human can master everything. Very few even master one thing, though we tend to be like insects, focused only on one or two tasks to the exclusion of all others. Take combative firearms training for example, like I do. Just doing it for a period of time at a static range gets the basic skills down, but good luck developing the unconscious instict when stressed, the timing, the placement, the accuracy, repeatable followups when moving under stress by multiple opponents using different types of weapons, rapidly changing environments, etc. Not the same kettle of fish at all. Takes decades to "master it". I am not insinuating that your achievements are unworthy at all, just that its time to find new hobbies, and perhaps change how you view the world.

Felix

Post by Felix »

On the problem of understanding all the high-level abstractions, I doubt you'll need to worry. The easy cure for that is to start experimenting yourself and trying to find out new stuff. With all abstraction being blown to pieces by that nasty reality, you will end up having to rebuild. Try reading Charles Fort, General semantics stuff. Watch Maybe Logic.
Meditation was mentioned. That's a good way to go. Even when you don't meditate, you end up with more "living in the moment" vs. "living inside your head", thus being exposed more to things outside the tidy mental framework you've built. Keeps you on your toes.
Also, try to entertain notions that you find nonsensical and try and explain the world that way. Chaos Magic is a fun way to do this. Learn to hypnotize yourself. Once you realize that the map is not the territory, you will have a hard time entertaining the notion that you could even possibly master anything to a degree that you might get bored within a human lifetime.

Ego

Re:

Post by Ego »

jennypenny wrote:Re: meditation

I think it does help. I go to Mass in the morning (religious version of meditation), and then go to the gym for a couple hours. The combination seems to quiet my mind enough for the rest of the day. If I skip a day, I find my mind churns endlessly all day. I'm constantly calculating outcomes and possible variations on almost everything I do (can't think of a better way to say that). I assumed it was an INT* thing. Maybe it's just my own undiagnosed issue.
Jenny, this guy came up with a guided meditation just for you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92i5m3tV5XY

jennypenny

Re: Re:

Post by jennypenny »

Ego wrote: Jenny, this guy came up with a guided meditation just for you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92i5m3tV5XY
Ha! My kind of meditation.

The proper pose for it ...