Part of my ERE strategy is to develop a skill-set or certificated ability that would allow me to work part-time in a flexible, needs-based career. I'd like to find a way to make money where I can mostly set my own hours according to how much money I need at the time and where I can take extended time off. Being able to live/work in a small town would be ideal. I've got a couple years to go to get there, but I need to get going on it before too long..
I'm 32, have a BA, 10 yrs of corporate work experience, good with numbers, excellent people skills, no problem doing graduate level writing/work, etc.
Here are a couple paths I'm considering:
1) Accounting - freelance or contract - would need to get certification and maintain CPEs I believe
2) Massage Therapy - $9K school investment, may not be best as a male
3) Technical Writing/Editing - I have a BA in English, but probably need a certificate added to that - market may be saturated and out-sourced
4) Tutoring - unsure what the cash-flow would look like
5) Consulting - not sure how to get into this - I have a lot of knowledge in the field I work in, but I'm not sure how I'd set up shop for myself.
What are some other ideas? I live in Seattle and have good access to community colleges and technical schools.
Any books to recommend on this?