The article seems skewed to me in attempt to show the propensity of "workers of the system" to launch all they can get.
(Which in many cases is true).
Let's say you qualified for a rental assistance apartment. In many scenarios, the tenant will pay 30% of their adjusted monthly gross income, or 10% of the gross income whichever is larger. In almost every case, we charge 30% of AGMI. Now that means Uncle Sugar is paying the other 70%, plus the following utility allowances: $65.00 per month on a 2BR, and $46.00 a month on a 1BR. How would you like someone to pay 70% of your housing cost and a large enough chunk of your electric bill, even enough that the monthly bill comes out as nearly a wash? Nice benefit if you can get it--right?
Taking that in your pocket, now go and get all your groceries paid for in food stamps. Get the SNAP card or whatever they call it where you live. If you are income qual--get the Medicaid and get yourself and all your kids paid for at the doctor's office, nonetheless of what you need it's on Uncle and the State. Not bad? Ok get laid off your job at McDonald's job or Butterball Turkey clean up, and simply walk in to the on site apartment manager and request a recalculation and recertification on your rent amount as you now have lost your job. No money now? No problem as your going to the state unemployment office and sign up for a check. Now you got money and everything else is free except the cable TV you have. No getting up to go to work, free rent, utilities, food, and health care.
Yeah the article is skewed, but you can find some truth if you look. Like people living in $500.00 a month apartments and paying a tenant contribution of $25.