Post by dragoncar »

Last person to talk wins the thread.

Catanduva

Post by Catanduva »

Hoorraay

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

What's a thread?
To follow on my comments about the relative value of "efficiency" above, here is the prologue to N. Taleb's upcoming book about that and related things:
http://www.fooledbyrandomness.com/prologue.pdf

BeyondtheWrap

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

Hey Jacob, I'm wondering, how do you handle washing the suits? Dry cleaning doesn't seem ERE-friendly.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Pants go in the tub. I haven't had to consider the jackets yet.

secretwealth

Post by secretwealth »

Jacob: Dryel is a cheap option, but not very ERE. Maybe you can figure out how to replicate it by understanding the process? http://www.howstuffworks.com/home-dry-cleaning.htm
Fortunately, I don't have to wear suits anymore, but paying $10 to dry my suits used to be a soul sucking experience.

Surio

Post by Surio »

@Dragline,

Thanks for Taleb's PDF. He makes for some dense reading, so I have saved it for later.
----------------
Well, the talk on red and green lights didn't immediately make sense. Does that make me a "tubelight"? (Not really).
Anyway, I still think I am onto something valid, about my admonition of focussing on just plain efficiency tweaking as the thing to control, in order to streamline the business and make it better.
The World of debt/equity/finance instruments/trading seems to have a staggering effect at how the World is being run. (An xkcd infographic for the scale of it all). Working on problems affecting such a scale is like tightrope walking on a cliff. Better to be holistic than analytical, for the consequences of failure are pretty bad.
Dragline has connected many of the dots very excellently (Thank you from me to him). In addition and on top of it, I would like to point to some more resources for better understanding.
1. Look up and read more on the "invisible Gorilla" experiement (and their new book) if you are interested. It expands further on the flaw of "Inattentional blindness" (Read the section, "Possible Causes: Expectation" on the page, where you can draw the immediate connection to this discussion on not to focus on 'efficiency' alone)
2. Research by Richard Nisbett also distinguishes cognitive models that are a byproduct of culture. The Geography of Thought.
Both of those are enjoyable, rigorous and scientific books. if all they finally end up doing is injecting us super confident NTs with a sense of humility, I would say that is a good thing.
In some places, a fine line is what separates efficiency and exploitation: Motherjones article
Ciao.