Hello

Say hello!!
Obadobadope

Post by Obadobadope »

Hello,
I'm 28, and I've been saving for about three years at around 60% rate. I had an ERE journal type blog a while back, but didn't care for that much writing. Once I formed the high savings habit, I preferred to put my head down and just get to it. And that's just what I've been doing, grinding away at it.
My wages and consumption have both risen in the last few years. The 60% savings rate is my preferred comfort level. I invest entirely in American stocks, and so far they have treated me well. In ERE fashion, I measure my investments' value by the earnings they provide. Currently the "look through earnings" is about $5500/yr and the dividends are about $1800/yr. Consumption is at $13000/yr right now, but I could cut a few thousand as freedom gets to be within reach.
I'm struggling to expand to the next level with some real assets. Such as small business, or rental properties. Right now I have about $75k saved up. I like the cushion of knowing that the stocks I invest in are already successful. Right now I'd have to risk a huge chunk of my $75k to get a rental property, but as the size of that chunk goes down, that feels like my next right move. It is natural to target housing, my greatest expense, somehow.
I'll be around the forums from time to time. Good luck to everyone and keep going, freedom is close.