Unemployment

Move along, nothing to see here!
chilly

Post by chilly »

Anyone have any experience collecting unemployment? In my current state, I see you have some form you have to submit weekly to document 3 attempts at finding employment or some such. What I can't find is info about the rules around termination of your last job... what if you quit? What if you were fired? How is fired vs. laid off determined.
One has to assume that it's not as simple as quitting my current job and just applying 3 times a week for surgical department heads at various hospitals (ie. something I'm not qualified for).

Chris

Post by Chris »

It varies, but generally if you lost your job due to "lack of work", then you can be eligible for unemployment insurance. That rules out quitting and violating company policy.
If you're considering unemployment checks as a nice way to smooth the way between the working world and retirement, you're not the first!

vireoes

Post by vireoes »

Each state is different. If you are laid off and have a slip, then it is a simply process to qualify. Generally if you quit, you do not qualify. If you get fired, it depends on the circumstances and the rules of your state. In CA if you are fired you will have an interview with someone to determine if you qualify. If you stole something or something otherwise obviously bad, you won't. If it is more murky you may, but the process takes a while.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

... And in the Netherlands, you have to apply for jobs that are suitable for you, so applying for surgeon general jobs is out of the question if you aren't a doctor with a surgical training. It just doesn't count towards your total of 3 required applications per week. Still, some people will try to make their applications look like shit (so no company will invite them to come and talk) or they will show their lack of real interest during the job interview.

graynomad

Post by graynomad »

or they will show their lack of real interest during the job interview.

That's why a lot of employers here don't place the job with the dole office, it's just a waste of everyone's time.
In Aus it used to be easy (my experience is from the 70s) but I gather we now have a rule like the "3 applications a week" thing. How people go in small towns I have no idea, there just isn't the jobs to apply for.
I often thought I'd say I was a lion tamer, but it would be just my luck for the bloody circus to be in town :)