Australians check in?

Say hello!!
aussierogue

Post by aussierogue »

I am one of those corporate aussie drones who got out. Line in inner city melbourne (northcote) worked in the financial services ector for 20 years earning 200-250k for the last 10 years. Saved around 7-8 k per month for 7 years. Paid of two mortgages and made some invesments. 2 years ago Was able to downshift so now I only work when i have too. I am trying to get into tafe teaching. At 6 0 bucks and hours ill take 10 hours per week please. Also have a blog and books that make me around 300 bucks per week. I have a wife 2 kids under 7 and over the last 2 years have managed to live of around aud 60 k per year with no material change in our circumstances.
im in melbourne of anyone want to meet up

Grandmother

Post by Grandmother »

I'm a grandmother living in Perth. Too late for early retirement for me but we're using the same principles to have A retirement. I am wondering about the best place to retire to though as I don't want to stay in a large city or end up in some bogan dominated town, but would prefer to live somewhere less desertlike when the time comes. We will of course get the pension when my husband retires but I'd like to be able to be free of government oversight if possible.

george

Post by george »

Well its ANZAC day on Wednesday
I want to say gidday to all you Aussies from a New Zealander.
ANZAC day is a time when we all in our own way, remember those who have fallen..
I also want to let you know when we had our earthquakes, and we had our little portable radios, and were digging silt. I remember them announcing very quickly that your Prime Minister was offering us help.
I don't know if you saw it, we didn't have tv, but apparently your police were clapped as they arrived in the city. And your Search and Rescue teams were among the first to arrive.
We needed you, you were there.
Just want you to know that meant a lot to us

LonerMatt

Post by LonerMatt »

New Zealand, and the Pacific Islands mean a lot to this Australia, as does their friendship and solidarity in this random part of the world.
Sometimes we forget our closest neighbors in a globalised world. It's too easy to focus on Russia, China, the USA, Brazil, and forget NZ, Polynesia, Melanesia, Indonesia and Timor.

J_

Post by J_ »

Investing in AUS

I am interested in putting in a fixed deposito on an Australian bank. Do one of you know how to get an account in one of your banks, and if it is allowed for a dutch based person to have such an account, and how (much) you have to pay taxes on the interest?
ps have been several times on holiday in your beautifull country. Visited coast from Melbourne to Rockhampton.

Bytta

Post by Bytta »

@J_ : most of the Australian banks require you to have residential address in Australia and you are an Australian resident for tax purpose (have Australian tax file number, etc). Maybe you should check out international banks that exist in Australia like HSBC.
I spent most of my adult years in Melbourne and will probably move back and forth in the coming years. For a while I loved and was proud living there. It's clean, beautiful, laid-back and you don't need to work 80 hours a week to make a decent living. But after 6 years, it changed; the honeymoon was over. By the time I moved out, I was bored to death.
Australian cities lack night entertainment for non-beer-drinkers. I don't like pubs, let alone clubs. Shops closes at 5pm, except on Thursdays and Fridays. And winter time is worse. Yes, you can travel out of town, but how often can you do it? Plus, it annoys me that most people/strangers always ask me where I come from to open a conversation. Is it because I look Asian and speak like an American? or do people just want to hear a story? I don't know, I just feel like they want to put me into a box (and/or that I don't belong there). Hmmmm... that's just my subjective view. Maybe someone else can explain that to me?
Most of my friends there are easygoing and fun so that manages to offset the annoyance I feel regarding above issue.
Nevertheless, every corner of Australia is gorgeous and I always feel safe driving/walking alone at night. That part is hard to beat. I plan to go back there sometime in the future to make some $$ plus most of my assets are held in cash, stocks and real estate in Australia.
So, it's 50-50 for me :)

aussierogue

Post by aussierogue »

i dont know anywhere thats perfect...
i live in melbourne and have been to many countries. I think its pretty good.
Shops are open 7 days per week (incl sundays) and yes monday to thursday they close at 5 or 6 pm.....not too crazy.....i wish they were open less to tell you the truth
Plenty of places to go that arent pubs after hours.....what kind of venues are you talking about - wine bars? Clubs? any more ideas??? Im not sure what you are getting at.
One thing i do know from a friend who is from the USA is that there is a social difference between here and the USA with guys. He said that in Australia its quite clicky. In the usa friends are much more like family (bit like the friends show) where as in Australia friends are friends and family are family. I do not spend my entire weekend at a friends house sitting on a sofa watching sport for hours after hours on end. This my american friend tells me this is a standard weekend for many american men.
Melbourne hs one of the best live music scenes in the world not too mention great restaurants..
So no where is perfect. I loved NYC....i like most places...and would never use the words 'bored to death' about anywhere unless i wanted to annoy the people living there.

LonerMatt

Post by LonerMatt »

Blytta - "where do you come from?" is such a loaded Australian question, isn't it?
It irks me, and people aren't satisfied if I just say "Australia".
Currently some of my students don't consider me "Australian" because I've got a US mother (wtf?!)
...heritage, ethnicity, citizenship, etc are all such confused terms here, and I don't know why!

Chad

Post by Chad »

@Aussierogue

I have never been to Australia (would love to though), so I can't speak to the "Australia its quite clicky" comment. But, you are right on with the "in the usa friends are much more like family (bit like the friends show)." I'm not sure how many men spend the entire weekend at friends house that is in the same town they live in, but close friends are definitely treated like family. After a few too many drinks it is quite common to just stay the night even if cab service is available.

Bytta

Post by Bytta »

@ aussierogue: sorry if my comment comes out a bit strong, I don't intend to offend anyone. To be honest, I still consider myself part Melbournian as it is my spiritual hometown. Still, if you go to most Asian cities, night time is when they start jumping. People go out, hang out with friends, watch other people, at cafes, outdoor garden, shopping centres, karaoke (i'm guilty of too much karaoke-ing hahahha) etc. Basically just go out and immerse in the energy around you. And they're cheap too. This is the daily happening, not special events (like music concert, etc). But I understand that it's not for all people. In Melbourne (not sure about other cities), after work, people tend to go home and stay in because most live in the 'burbs. Restaurants are awesome but they're not cheap. The city is perfect for young families as it's safe, organised, clean and packed with family-friendly activities.
@LonerMatt: I don't know when they (or we? :D) will get over that. I think what saddens me is no matter how much time, effort and love I have invested to fit in, I would never be part of the team. Despite years of "aussify-ing" myself (hahaha...), work, pay tax, threw some snags on the barbie, cheered on Jessica Watson, follow the law, adore Adam Hills, get the dry and sarcastic jokes, rooted for The Cats; I still feel the wall whenever I get asked that question (which is normally the top 2 questions after I introduce myself). What does it take to be an Aussie?

LonerMatt

Post by LonerMatt »

I don't know, my man, I don't know.
It seems banal and bizarre - like there's some secret entry into the club.
I think many white Australians view 'Australian' as being from a Northern European heritage, and that influences the rest of the ethnic groups around. When people ask "where do you come from?" it's usually less of a question about where your home is, and more a question about ethnic background and family narrative, more than anything.
Which isn't so bad, in my view, but it can be an unconsciously offensive question and outlook to have.
To give you an exmaple, one of my students is Afghani (well a lot of them are, but we'll stick to one) and she told me she was probably returning to Afghanistan last year, and I told her that it made me sad to hear that. When she asked why I said "because I think we're a better country with you in it!" and she said it was the first time she'd ever felt included into Australia, and no one had ever really called her Australian before that. She's lived here longer than anywhere else, has citizenship, has family that contribute to the community and economy, immigrated legally (not that it matters to me, but it does matter to some!)
What a heartless and cold place this is sometimes!

Fiddle

Post by Fiddle »

Hi,
I've lived in Australia for 3.5 years and have found the people warm and friendly.
Becoming accepted into the inner circle of any community or particular demographic of people can often take a long time. For example my parents moved from a town to a village in the same country where they have always lived and for over 10 years they talked about not being fully accepted by the other villagers. Only recently do they 'feel' accepted and they joined in and worked hard for that acceptance too, as any newcomer should.
Just dont expect to much too soon or you may be disappointed, wherever you are.

aussierogue

Post by aussierogue »

yep i agree - try living in france and being accepted after 30 years.
The brits still treat ozzies strangely and bring up 'convicts' all the time in conversations. Its bizzare because us ozzies are so diverse and we do not see Brits as any threat whatsoever but they seem to like bringing up our colonial history in every second conversation. I find myself thinking 'oh yeh that is australia's history but i never think about except when and english person brings it up".
So its not just north americans who are treated strangely.
Melbourne can be boring if you live in the burbs....I live in Northcote and other suburbs like Fitzroy, St Kilda, Yarraville, the central busines district all rock on after 6 pm. You have to find your tribe within the tribe. Bohemian quareters is what you need.
You are right though its not like the mediterranean or south east asia or part of south america where life begins at 9pm...thats a great life too..
@chad
One thing i have always found interesting about the the USA is that so many of you travel and live away from family friends as you grow older. ie you have so many large cities, so many great universities it seems to me that the norm in the USA is for an 18 year old to move state. And once this is done its quite difficult to move back to your roots because 'life starts to happen'. This may be a reason friendships are so important.
In australia we only have 2 large cities and another 5 medium cities. If you are from Mlebourne of Sydney chances are in 20 years time you will still be from melbourne or Sydney...and the same for the other 5 or so cities.
So there is less choice and although people do move...there is quite large pull to come back and live near your family and friends.
I think the USA is unique in this sense. No other countries can i think off where there seems to be this mass exodus from local communities when people get to college age...
im not saying its a bad thing either. Probably a great way to become independandt quickly
maybe my perceptions are wrong...interesting stuff either way..
btw you are welcome in melbourne anytime!

Bytta

Post by Bytta »

@LonerMatt: Interesting you mentioned about it being unconscious . I'm reading Malcolm Gladwell's "Blink" and it might explain this behaviour. Consciously, most people would never dream of engaging in a behaviour that might be construed as racism or alienating other people based on appearance. But unconsciously, there's this need to box people in as soon as you know them and put label on them. The result is misunderstanding between the two groups. Hopefully the next generation will have a better view on this issue.

Bytta

Post by Bytta »

@ aussierogue: I lived in southeastern 'burbs (Carnegie, Ormond, Caulfield, Clayton) and before I moved out, I lived in Reservoir so it's quite far from all the actions. Brunswick and Northcote are my two favourite places to hang out. I miss Jasper coffee and the Vegie Bar.

irukandjisting

Post by irukandjisting »

Hi.... just signed up and posted in Lifestyle or maybe it should have gone into Money area... its about living on a small amount of money... and my lifestyle... take your pick lol
Just saying hi....
Iru

irukandjisting

Post by irukandjisting »

ohhh and I am a very proud Aussie - and can't believe some writings here that I have read - embarrassed even
Such a wonderful country that helps EVERYBODY and leaves NOBODY destitute
I love a sunburnt country

gearb0x

Post by gearb0x »

another aussie checking in.
28 years old melbournite living on a farm, computer programmer turned agricultural engineer I guess you could say ;) My skill set fits in pretty well with the ERE mindset ;)

bigchrisb

Post by bigchrisb »

A belated check in from me. 30, Canberra based, engineer/company director.
My income is a bit higher than most I see in ERE, as is my consumption. However, I try to target a 80% savings rate, so the general ratio seems to fit in.
Current net worth of $840k, and a ~5 year horizon for work being voluntary.

noskich

Post by noskich »

bigchrisb for most ERE ppl 840K would be more than enough to retire on. What is your target amount if I may ask?

I am Sydney based in IT, same age like you with 170K net and goal of 400K on lower end and 600K on higher (3-4 years more to go).