Investments Trade Log

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
Lemur

Re: Investments Trade Log

Post by Lemur »

Man did it feel good selling SoFi at $9.42. I was once down 90% on this. Took $15k in profit. Put the money in VIG. Tilting even more towards income now that we’re solidly under 4% SWR.

giskard

Post by giskard »

Lemur wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:39 pm
Man did it feel good selling SoFi at $9.42. I was once down 90% on this. Took $15k in profit. Put the money in VIG. Tilting even more towards income now that we’re solidly under 4% SWR.
Nice trade, but aren't you worried you sold a little early now that the pivot has been confirmed by JP?

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

Yep. But my goals have changed since realizing I am definitely under 4% SWR so I am tilting towards income and I don’t own any growth stocks.

I’m pretty bullish on SoFi still but it has had a crazy run-up and I’d like to buy back in but only if the price recedes a bit…I need a larger margin of safety now to take the risks.

As these things go…won’t be too surprised if it just keeps rallying and I’ll have to add it to my regret list alongside AMD lol.

grundomatic

Post by grundomatic »

jacob wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:51 pm
Fed cuts likely in 2024. USD drops. DJIA near new record. Mag7 still rotating inside the NDAQ.
There go yields. I was mostly done buying income stocks, but I'm still sitting on a little cash. Maybe QT will eventually matter?

PhoneticNachos

Post by PhoneticNachos »

Sold a few positions in my Roth IRA this month, all were at least up 50%, three over 100%. Still holding 8 more over 50%, one gained about 35% last Friday alone.

I have four limit orders sitting, ready to buy some time arbitrage plays this week, and hopefully flip before March for at least 30% profit from each of them.

Total value across all my various accounts has grown with contributions and gains about 330% this year. Very happy.

Henry

Post by Henry »

NVDA up 6.43% today to close at all time high $522.53. Why is Jensen not a first name only person like Elon.

Henry

Post by Henry »

NVDA closed last night 543.42. It started the year at $481. It's one thing being a Wall Street darling. It's another becoming the Wall Street Version of Taylor Swift. Any news involving NVDA is reason to buy it. If two crack whores are arrested for fighting over a rock outside of Nvidia's headquarters, Piper Sandler is going to raise their target based upon increased activity and new market opportunities.

giskard

Post by giskard »

So the BTC etf is approved and out. It is going to work it's way into fund of funds, and I would expect inflows to ramp up slowly over the year but....

In the meantime people are dumping GBTC. People were trapped in this GBTC trust at a NAV discount and now they aren't. That money is going to rotate out of there until, uh, it's all gone?? I'm not sure.

Anyway, I am watching this situation closely. I expect BTC to trade choppy as money flows out of GBTC, but some of it will of course flow into IBIT (blackrocks ETF with lower fees).

In the meantime I am looking to add speculative stuff on dips. I think this is still net good for Coinbase (COIN - since they collect custody fees, and OTC trading fees). And if the miners drop another 30 to 50% it will be a good entry point for many of them (MARA, CLSK, etc).

In other news: wow check out Uranium now.

thedollar

Post by thedollar »

Bought 100 x NVDA

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

Story of my life with semi-conductors. "No way it will keep going higher."

Keeps going higher....

@giskard

Yeah I bought back into SoFi. 8647 Shares at $8.37. That was after it took a drop. Did not think it would drop further then that.
The market is getting stupid again and I want in...waiting for that hornets nest to come to Fintech.

Earnings for SoFi is on the 29th before market open. They're expected to post first ever profitability. $0.06 a share I believe is the consensus estimates. (edit: correction. Actually the estimate is $0.00. https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/ ... i/earnings). From what I've seen with other stocks, is usually when profits are posted the first time there is a rally. The risk is a miss of course.

giskard

Post by giskard »

Lemur wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:22 pm
Story of my life with semi-conductors. "No way it will keep going higher."

Keeps going higher....

@giskard

Yeah I bought back into SoFi. 8647 Shares at $8.37. That was after it took a drop. Did not think it would drop further then that.
The market is getting stupid again and I want in...waiting for that hornets nest to come to Fintech.

Earnings for SoFi is on the 29th before market open. They're expected to post first ever profitability. $0.06 a share I believe is the consensus estimates. (edit: correction. Actually the estimate is $0.00. https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/ ... i/earnings). From what I've seen with other stocks, is usually when profits are posted the first time there is a rally. The risk is a miss of course.
They report their financials like a bank, which I have a hard time understanding how to analyze, but the interest income numbers they are reporting are insane (again, not sure what that really means given that we know interest rates are up). I went to their website to look at their q3 2023 investor presentation and their user numbers are all exploding. Their adjusted net rev growth is showing very high (27% yoy) growth, although its slowing. It seems like a great bet at these prices, if you have an optimistic view of the market this year.

biaggio

Post by biaggio »

Most of my assets have been sitting in flexible deposit accounts (earning between 3.5% and 4% interest) in the form of cash.

Henry

Post by Henry »

NVDA up 37% YTD. AMZN and META both include large purchases of GPUS from NVDA in yesterday's earning reports. I don't care if AI forcibly enters my home and models Dante's Inferno in my basement. Just keep this shit coming.

giskard

Post by giskard »

Henry wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:30 pm
NVDA up 37% YTD. AMZN and META both include large purchases of GPUS from NVDA in yesterday's earning reports. I don't care if AI forcibly enters my home and models Dante's Inferno in my basement. Just keep this shit coming.
Now ARM has joined in too :lol: Anybody long ARM?

I added some MSTR a couple days when I saw it is not longer trading at a premium to the BTC on their balance sheet.

Henry

Post by Henry »

giskard wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:28 pm
Now ARM has joined in too :lol: Anybody long ARM?
I became aware of ARM when NVDA tried to purchase. Never thought of purchasing ARM when it didn't happen. Probably because it's non-US and I wasn't sure what it actually is. NVDA is now up 44% YTD and is on the brink of surpassing AMZN in total valuation.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

S&P500 hits 5000 for the first time with 24% of the market value concentrated in just 5 companies.

Henry

Post by Henry »

thedollar wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:48 am
Bought 100 x NVDA
As of this minute you have made $14,653.00. You can sell and live like JLF for two years.
Last edited by Henry on Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlpineTR

Post by AlpineTR »

jacob wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:59 am
S&P500 hits 5000 for the first time with 24% of the market value concentrated in just 5 companies.
I've started investing my "passive" money equal weight among the Dow 30, the 10 next largest S&P 500, and the next 10 largest Nasdaq100. I'm more comfortable with the diversification, lower P/E, and higher dividend yield this offers. It also allows for advanced TLH. It's similar to the Cambridge Investment Strategy, which is little discussed / mostly unknown.

Of course, there are many iterations of portfolios that can remove the Mag7 concentration. I heard something similar recommended by Ed Thorpe at the end of his autobiography.

No idea if/when the flows will reverse and nothing against those companies, but I just have no interest in owning NVDA at 40x sales. It's contrary to SWAN for me.

thedollar

Post by thedollar »

Henry wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:13 am
As of this minute you have made $14,653.00. You can sell and live like JLF for two years.
True. However, I did sell 100 x NVIDIA @ $250 back in 2022 and I caught a serious case of FOMO during the recent run-up.

I just don't understand how such a huge company grew their revenue from 7.2bUSD -> 13.5bUSD -> 18.1bUSD during the latest quarters.

It's such an epic and historic event that I need to be a little bit in on it. Can they keep it up? When will it end? How will it end? We've never seen anything like this before.

thedollar

Post by thedollar »

thedollar wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:34 am
NYSE:NVO
NASDAQ:TSLA

... will become the two largest companies in the world based on marketcap within the next decade

!RemindMe 10 years

I'm gonna buy more during the next 12 months

Quarterly revenue from obesity sales for NVO:

Q3: 4,331b DKK
Q4: 5,488b DKK
Q1: 7,842b DKK

Growing at 40%+ per quarter is insane and it's accelerating. It might actually be growing at 100% per quarter atm since some of the growth is hidden in their diabetes GLP-1 revenue.

Their new obesity medicine is working really well for people and could also be used to treat depression, gambling, etc. (other stuff affecting the dopamine center)
Things are crazy these days.

- TSLA, largest position, lost 32% since the above post
- NVO returned +65% since the post

I still believe these two companies are awesome. People should go read about NVO. They are extremely profitable and they are only serving 1 million Americans with their new obesity drug, while there are 100 million Americans who are obese (BMI 30+). The potential is huge.

- Bought $13k META at around $100 in 2022 (almost at the bottom) when the market was being crazy about its future , now worth $61k
- Bought a very small position in ARM at IPO last year at $59, now $115
- Just recently bought a small position in TSMC
- Just recently bought a small position in Monster Beverage Co.
- Just recently bought a small position in Mercado Libre