Hello everyone

Say hello!!
erecraft

Hello everyone

Post by erecraft »

New to the forum. Fan of the fire movement and Jacob Lund Fisker. I could probably ERE a few times over at the moment but with family, etc, etc....it's complicated and I feel like my mind is a bit too enmeshed in the matrix. One way I am trying to get out is by figuring out how to significantly reduce my expenses or gain control over my expenses

Currently working on changing my transportation to mostly Ebikes, bike, car share, small cars (which are harder and harder to find). It finally dawned on me the enormous sum of money an expensive large car cost over time. If you invested the money into the stock market instead of purchasing a car plus the yearly upkeep and gasoline (also invested instead) it comes to hundreds of thousands of dollars

Storing my excess solar into something affordable like the ecoflow batteries.

Heat. Maybe a heat pump but would also love to figure out how to store heat from very hot wood fire, ie a rocket stove but in a much smaller form factor.

As far as food goes, I feel like I have that covered. As a vegetarian my families food bill is already probably 3 times lower than an average similar household.

Anyway, I look forward to learning and being pulled out of my current institutionalized mindset.

loutfard

Re: Hello everyone

Post by loutfard »

erecraft wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:28 pm
Currently working on changing my transportation to mostly Ebikes, bike, car share, small cars (which are harder and harder to find). It finally dawned on me the enormous sum of money an expensive large car cost over time.
Good idea.
Storing my excess solar into something affordable like the ecoflow batteries.
Have you considered producing closer in line with what you need?
Heat. Maybe a heat pump but would also love to figure out how to store heat from very hot wood fire, ie a rocket stove but in a much smaller form factor.
Depending on your geographical location, a few interesting options may be:
- learn to get comfortable in somewhat higher or lower temperatures
- move to where you need as little heating or air conditioning as possible: a small townhouse or apartment in a temperate climate area
- use solar thermal in summer and wood heating in winter, for both hot water and domestic heating
As far as food goes, I feel like I have that covered. As a vegetarian my families food bill is already probably 3 times lower than an average similar household.
Do share your best recipes in the relevant thread! Always interested to hear about those!

Bicycle7

Post by Bicycle7 »

Hi erecraft! I'm happy you're here!

I'm interested in hearing more about how your transportation strategy evolves.

It's a good reminder how much can be saved as a vegetarian! I rarely think about it because I've almost never bought or cooked meat as an adult.

erecraft

Post by erecraft »

This video is a little goofy but really its pretty much how you cook any indian subje (vegetable).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4zVQxPJmnY

erecraft

Post by erecraft »

Car costing 45000 in 2016 driven an average of 12000 miles per year at 3 dollars a gallon and say an average of 1200 per year in maintenance. If you invested the initial amount (with reinvested dividends) and invested the gas and maintenance cost back into VTI (total stock market index). The current total value is $671,000. I know this is a bit simplistic and assumes no costs to defray not having a car but its a good starting point (at least for me) to understand the severe toll owning a vehicle can impose on financial well being.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

Welcome erecraft! That video was the highlight of my day so far, ty.

It definitely is true that it's easier to spend less on food as a vegetarian... but a low food expenses doesn't happen automatically because you're a vegetarian. Just ask 2012-2017 Axel who was vegetarian and spent $$$ on food anyways. :oops: