Gen-Gen Bender Question

How to pass, fit in, eventually set an example, and ultimately lead the way.
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Gen-Gen Bender Question

Post by jacob »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:30 am
Anyways, I was kind of hoping the younger generation might have some further insight. One thing I have noted is that gender roles are one of the items up for renegotiation or integration at Level Yellow after being thoroughly obliterated at Level Green. I held a very naive Level Green assumption in my first marriage that our relationship would be very egalitarian; in fact that was included in our vows, but it didn't exactly work out that way.
Roles (who makes the money, who does the dishes, who cooks dinner, who fights the zombies,...) are recognized but they're not assigned to gender. Instead people do what they're good at/prefer to do/have to do relative to ditto for the other person (or persons if there are more people in the household). It is recognized that the importance of roles is independent of how much it pays, because the whole is greater than the sum of the roles insofar the roles are well combined cf. following a traditional pattern where people perform undesired roles simply because culture expect them to.

From a whole systems perspective, it's hard to say what is more valuable: Making the money that pays for the food or cooking the food. One role does not exist without the other role. Now imagine multiple roles and it becomes hard to say who should do what based on gender and how much each component should be valued because outcomes are often determined by a combination of several roles.

It's interesting to compare the traditional western pattern to the traditional Japanese pattern. LMK if I'm completely wrong here. In Japan, the housewife is in control of all the finances. The husband's role is simply to get a paycheck and hand it over to his wife who then decides how to spend it. Who holds the upper hand there?

Since I didn't notice it being mentioned, there will be some judgment from the rest of the culture. For example, when I quit back in 2009, I caught some flak to the effect of "he's not retired, because his wife still works". This [only] makes sense from a certain world-view and obviously you'll have to deal with world-views like that.

Henry

Post by Henry »

If I had a chance to interview members of a radical organization, the type that lived communally and had grandiose plans to overthrow the government, or incite a revolution or something of that nature, the first question I would ask is who does the dishes.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Henry wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:07 am
[...] I would ask is who does the dishes.
Different value systems have different solutions for that ranging from hazing to rookie to paying someone to taking turns to taking care...

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

Salathor wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:31 am
I don't think it's a good idea for the man to not work if the woman has to.
Sure, but OP indicated that the woman *wants* to.

If I had a female partner who said “I love my job but I don’t have a use for all this money, is it cool if I just pay our household operational expenses?” My answer would be “sure, sounds good.”

But also this thread confuses me. The question was posed to a bunch of postconsumer worldview and lifestyle deviants, but a fair number of the examples given and assumptions implied are of either vanilla normies, or worldview deviants but still consumers, aka people dependent solely on money for their independence.

If the question actually boils down to “can it work if the man is financially dependent on the woman” than the answer is yes duh, but in most cultures it’s gonna take heavy doses of maturity, kegan level whatever, sd yellow, compatible mbti profiles, NVC probably, lots and lots of communication, therapy maybe, etc. I’m thinking of friends who pull this off with varying levels of brilliance.

Not to be snarky about it, but it often doesn’t work for women to be dependent on the man either, statistically, although it’s more culturally acceptable.

If the question is actually “does it seem difficult/unnatural for cultural or innate/biological reasons”, then, I don’t know, don’t even the experts disagree on it? Why are you asking a bunch of postconsumer nerds about it? <3 though

ETA: I’m not even sure if it does matter if its cultural or biological. I have a biological fear of heights, but I deal with it and overcome it for reasons my forebrain worked up. (Forebrain? A different part? The recent, conscious bit.) My biology instructs me to attempt to seed as many babies as I possibly can out into the world but I put a kabosh on that one.

So maybe in addition to culture my biology is telling me not to accept money from females for reasons that made sense a really long time ago. Sounds like another job for my conscious brain, if the situation ever arose. Big deal.

okumurahata

Post by okumurahata »

I haven’t considered the question from a gender role perspective. I don’t care whether the person offering the money is a woman, Bill Gates, the government, or a member of the Italian mafia. I simply want to know if giving the money will result in any punishment in the future.

If I was the one offering the deal, I would try to create a system to avoid harboring resentment. I would also adopt the same approach with my children if I had any. I understand the pain of the corporate world so well that, if I were wealthy, I would likely provide the oPPoRTuniTy to everyone close to me.

It feels awful to spend years doing something you don’t want to do. Even five years, the minimum commitment in this forum if done perfectly, can feel lengthy when stuck in an undesired situation. One of the reasons we’re here is to break free from such traps, I guess.

The description of the donator as angry (mum, dad, Bill, Fat Tony or whatever), implies increasing chances of having trouble in the future. I don’t want to go from a corporate trap to the sense of having a personal debt.

Ego

Post by Ego »

AxelHeyst wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:04 pm
I have a biological fear of heights, but I deal with it and overcome it for reasons my forebrain worked up.

So maybe in addition to culture my biology is telling me not to accept money from females for reasons that made sense a really long time ago. Sounds like another job for my conscious brain, if the situation ever arose. Big deal.
On the other hand, there are rational reasons to avoid jumping from high places. It is logical that the default position be to avoid doing something that causes the lizard brain to scream STOP until the long-term risks and benefits have been properly analyzed.

Get to know some people who have parachuted over and over again for many years before committing to the parachutist life. What are the benefits? What are the risks? How many happy, healthy, well adjusted parachutists put themselves in a position where they must rely on chutes packed by someone else for their entire life?

Look around. How many happy, healthy, well adjusted people do you see who are entirely dependent on their partner to pay the bills for the rest of their life? There are certainly some who have done it long-term. Really look at them. What have they become?

There are clichés for how this plays out. They are clichés for a reason.

Living life as if the world IS how one believes it SHOULD BE may feel good. From what I've seen, it does not end well.
Last edited by Ego on Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

I guess the argument is, we're striving to avoid the cliches of life in many other respects -- so why not here? Reminds me of the "don't take your 3 m/old on the trail -- unless you're the animals" case. Don't hike w a 3 m/o is excellent advice for most muggles. The Animals aren't muggles. Similarly, financial dependence is a bad idea generally and for most. But if you go into an arrangement like the one discussed in this thread from the position of a non-muggle, you've got a chance.

Personally, I did have the 2-week experience of someone being financially dependent on me in an undernegotiated way. It wasn't me being dependent, but because we were both kind of playing house without knowing what we're doing and learning on each other, it did raise all sorts of psychological shit. I probably wouldn't choose a situation of financial dependence for myself, on either side. But I don't think this precludes the fact that -some- couples of whatever gender can make it as long as they posess the requisite self-knowledge, communication skills, and clarity of thought.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

jacob wrote:Roles (who makes the money, who does the dishes, who cooks dinner, who fights the zombies,...) are recognized but they're not assigned to gender. Instead people do what they're good at/prefer to do/have to do relative to ditto for the other person (or persons if there are more people in the household). It is recognized that the importance of roles is independent of how much it pays, because the whole is greater than the sum of the roles insofar the roles are well combined
Yes, but the question that comes up in Sexual Dichotomy theory (which according to my quick perusal of the internet is actually a Level Turquoise concept, which also explains why I keep running into it (again) in my recent reading/viewing related to the realm of spiral dynamics), is whether this rather utilitarian, even if systems level, perspective can be entirely boundaried away from the sexual energies; feminine/masculine, Dominant/submissive or gender and/or sexual identities (@ Green rather than Turquoise) the participants in a relationship prefer to inhabit? For instance, David Deida (Turquoise thinker according to internet) would argue that the Modern corporate work world tends to de-sexualize all of us, because we have to pretend sexual neutrality all day long, and it's difficult to just shake that off when you walk in the door and resume your relationship with your sexual partner at 6 PM. Therefore, by relieving humans of the burden of Modern corporate employment, ERE should allow humans to more fully occupy their "natural" or preferred sexual energies (or at least fun naps on Tuesday afternoons), unless their acculturation is too thorough to allow for this....or something like this.
AxelHeyst wrote:If the question is actually “does it seem difficult/unnatural for cultural or innate/biological reasons”, then, I don’t know, don’t even the experts disagree on it? Why are you asking a bunch of postconsumer nerds about it? <3 though
LOL. Because this is the intellectual salon where I hang out most often currently, and out of the less than a dozen or so intellectual salons I have hung out in over the last 40 years, two were primarily/theoretically devoted to issues related to relationships or sexuality (one was pretty Vanilla, and one very much wasn't ;) ) Also, as I noted above, I have noticed that Sexual Dichotomy theory, which I first encountered in a relationship therapy group, keeps popping up in my SD related reading. Here's why this discussion might be important from your perspective/situation. How would you explain the difference between the TradWife perspective vs. Radical Homemaker perspective to another human? One answer I might give would be that both movements are attempting to process serious problems with Modern life/Level Orange, but one is self-aware choosing to return to Level Blue/Traditional, while the other is self-aware choosing to experiment at Level Green towards Yellow. Similarly, what differentiates Sexual Dichotomy theory at Level Turquoise from anti-feminist theory is that preferred sexual energy(s) are not assigned to gender/sex/orientation. In simplest terms, I might say (as the author wrote) "The difference is that a Radical Homemaker could be any partner in a relationship or both/all of them."

From my perspective, the reason this is actually a huge issue moving forward in the meta-crisis is that social default to Level Blue and Level Red is highly likely in a crisis-laden or increasingly lower energy environment.
AxelHeyst wrote: I’m not even sure if it does matter if its cultural or biological. I have a biological fear of heights, but I deal with it and overcome it for reasons my forebrain worked up. (Forebrain? A different part? The recent, conscious bit.) My biology instructs me to attempt to seed as many babies as I possibly can out into the world but I put a kabosh on that one.

Yes, I share your perspective. This also applies to getting over "natural" feelings of jealousy in order to inhabit the freedom offered by polyamory. I know it seems ridiculous, but on the personal (as opposed to salon level discussion :lol: ) level, what I am wondering, based on both my own personal experience and reading,is whether I might have to self-aware become more of a Domme sexually in order to have the sort of household egalitarian relationship I would prefer (self-aware, "switchy" and overt, as opposed to slump-to-the-center-of-the-sofa-compromised-neutral.) I thought I could better maintain my highly independent social (eNTP, we only lead because we don't want to follow) functioning in conjunction with my self-aware submissive sexual identity//preference by becoming polyamorous and therefore not majorly overlapping my own "turf" with any one of the dominant men with whom I partner, but it keeps defaulting to one or another arrangment which I do not prefer. Also, not unlike the BDSM scene, the polyamorous dating scene is loaded with sexually submissive men (who often may be "perversely" highly socially dominant.) Some man micro-managing me while I do the dishes, and then texting me detailed instructions of exactly how he would prefer for me to top him in bed, pretty much defines the relationship I would have to be paid $$$ to willingly participate in. MMV extensively.

ETA: Another SD related note would be that it has been my observation that in a relationship, no matter how the power dynamic is defined, at the meta-level, the partner who declares the form of the relationship is the de facto leader/dominant. Doesn't matter whether it is a Level Blue female stating "We will have a TradWife/Husband relationship or a Level Orange/Green male stating "We will have a thoroughly egalitarian relationship." You're right back on the playground with "I'll be Barbie, and you be Ken." or vice-versa or vice-versa-vice-versa, etc.

Salathor

Post by Salathor »

AxelHeyst wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:04 pm
Sure, but OP indicated that the woman *wants* to.

If I had a female partner who said “I love my job but I don’t have a use for all this money, is it cool if I just pay our household operational expenses?” My answer would be “sure, sounds good.”
I understand! I'm still just saying that my guess would be that it does not turn out well in the end. I might be wrong, but she was gathering opinions, and I suspect that this situation turns out poorly some large majority of the time, either through hurt feelings, boredom, lack of respect, etc.

I don't believe that men and women are the same, I don't think the 'kept man' dynamic will work in the long run for nearly any couple.

Salathor

Post by Salathor »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:30 am
Another example would be that in my first marriage I did most of the traditionally male household work; I mowed the lawn, fixed broken sinks, handled all the finances, made most of the plans; but this never caused me to lose my sexual attraction to my ex,
I would say there there is a difference between "modern society thinks these are man jobs" roles like mowing lawns and plumbing and more "innate" roles like knowing that you are providing for a wife vs being provided for. Likewise, I think handling finances and lifestyle planning are, even historically, equitably spread across genders. Women often ran the castle when the knight was gone, for example. You read Bleak House or Middlemarch and it is clear that even in the early and mid 1800s it was not unusual for a woman to be in charge of household logistics. Some guys just suck at it!

I could be wrong! But I suspect that there is a very low likelihood that this works out satisfactorily for both spouses over the long term in MOST cases.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Salathor wrote:I would say there there is a difference between "modern society thinks these are man jobs" roles like mowing lawns and plumbing and more "innate" roles like knowing that you are providing for a wife vs being provided for.
True, but there is also the level on which you might consider how "squidgy" it feels for you to get in touch with the part of yourself that would maybe feel cherished if somebody provided for you. It's difficult for me to do the entire empathetic translation, but there are some exercises or practices towards de-focusing/expanding masculine sexuality that I believe move towards this. For instance, how would/do you feel if/when your female partner sincerely says "You're beautiful" when you are standing in front of her naked?

Henry

Post by Henry »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:37 am
For instance, how would/do you feel if/when your female partner sincerely says "You're beautiful" when you are standing in front of her naked?
Completely fucked, as I would think everyone feels when their significant other shows the first signs of dementia.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Henry wrote:If I had a chance to interview members of a radical organization, the type that lived communally and had grandiose plans to overthrow the government, or incite a revolution or something of that nature, the first question I would ask is who does the dishes.
Good point. In the vast majority of households I have been a part of since approximately the age of 10 (due to mother being out-to-lunch with mental illness in a manner that made her a terrible housekeeper, yet also likely to terrorize a paid maid), I have done WAAAAAAAY more than fair share of dishes. However, this has mostly been by choice, because doing the dishes is a pretty zen activity for me. It feels much less like "drudgery" for me than. for example, writing an executive summary report on meaningless technical topic for my corporate overlords, because it doesn't occupy my mind. UNLESS somebody feels inclined to micro-manage exactly how I do such a simple task which tends towards infuriating me, because it takes me out of my zen fugue state. However, I have also been infuriated in employment situations in which the human micro-managing me was a female supervisor, and I was doing something like creating a spreadsheet, so not really a gender dynamics issue. I just personally absolutely loathe being micro-managed*. In situations where I have been in charge of the garden/cooking/kitchen and had adequate time/energy at my disposal, it's just part of the process within a realm where I also do some creative work towards self-actualization. IOW, for a full-cycle permaculturist, washing the dishes is not very different than washing her brushes for a painter.

*I would much rather be abandoned completely to my own devices with no guidance whatsoever, which actually pretty well describes the very good relationship I had with one female supervisor who was likely an INTJ or INTP. The first week I worked for her, she dropped in and showed me how to do two or three things, determined that I was competent at the higher level demands of the position (minimum job requirement was being very well-read) and then I only ever saw her again when she needed to share some new information.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

okumurahata wrote:If I was the one offering the deal, I would try to create a system to avoid harboring resentment. I would also adopt the same approach with my children if I had any. I understand the pain of the corporate world so well that, if I were wealthy, I would likely provide the oPPoRTuniTy to everyone close to me.
Good point with the what you would do for your kids perspective. When I ran a business, I employed my own kids and some of their friends, and in accordance with my own preferences, I was VERY hands-off as a manager. I pretty much delegated the entire shipping department to my daughter and the entire warehouse department to my son. This was so successful, they would sometimes get on my case for being too much of a slacker, "Where are those extra-large envelopes I told you I needed last week. Get on task, Mom!"

A number of years ago I went on a couple dates with a guy who was in charge of the tech department for a large university, owned a large acreage, and had sole custody of 3 young kids who were in his words, "running completely wild" under the care of live-in nanny who barely spoke English. It was almost more of a job interview than a date, and I was kind of tempted, because I knew I would be great at the "job", but I wasn't all that attracted to the man. In a situation like that, I wouldn't think twice about the fact that he was providing all the financial support in the relationship, because I definitely would be doing my share, and I would demand a very clear equity contract.

I think it is often the case that how the flow of money plays out in dynamic in various relationships is also well-reflected in who picks up the bill when out for dinner. For instance, both of my adult children currently make more money than I do, but I still pick up the bill slightly more often. My youngest sister was radically gender-queer bi-sexual in her style and dating until her late 30s when she suddenly decided to form a monogamous relationship with a man, and she is entirely comfortable making an announcement at a family gathering, referring to her straight INXJ husband, and saying something like "Daddy's got the bill." , because she overtly chose to inhabit the young-femme role relative to him.

okumurahata

Post by okumurahata »

I believe a significant part of our behavior is context-dependent. Anyone can find love with any personality type (compatibility varies), but a couple often merges into a single entity and forms a fusion after a while. For instance, your sister might adopt a certain behavior with the INXJ type because it feels most natural in that relationship. However, if she fell in love with an artist, her behavior might be quite different.

I act like the quiet guy at work, but with close friends, I’m talkative and feel more like an extrovert. Why the difference? I’m not sure; I believe that a group creates a dynamic, and you adopt a role. After a while, the group assumes your role won’t change and you follow. It’s like when you meet old school friends, and everyone reverts to past roles, even if everyone has changed.

I see a group of people (or a partner) as a black box where I’m the input, unsure of how I’ll feel/act after being processed. If I’m okay with the outcome, I continue the relationship; otherwise, I search for another “black box”.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

Ego wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:15 am
Look around. How many happy, healthy, well adjusted people do you see who are entirely dependent on their partner to pay the bills for the rest of their life? There are certainly some who have done it long-term. Really look at them. What have they become?

There are clichés for how this plays out. They are clichés for a reason.
I agree with this. What I’m pushing back on is the assumption that the scenario starting conditions @7 outlined implies lifelong dependency.

1. I have the skills and ability to earn my own money without much trouble if the need arises on short notice.
2. Per the scenario I have 2-5 years CoL saved up. In other words, I have FU money I can deploy should the relationship fall apart, and the skills to spin up an alternative income stream.
3. If I’m doing postconsumer praxis ‘right’, as time goes on the chances of me incidentally generating further income streams out of the dynamic grist of my freedom-to curiosities is high. So at some point I’m likely to be dumping at least my own CoL flow into the relationship myself.

I agree that being dependent on another person is dicey. I disagree that I’d be meaningfully dependent in this scenario for very long in any way approaching the dysfunctional ways traditional society used to ‘run’ relationship roles.

From a younger that boomer postconsumer perspective on the question, perhaps my straightest answer is that I reject the assumption that I have to assume / fall into the traditional pitfalls associated with reversing the gender roles due to my own accumulated/ing competencies.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

okumurahata wrote: Anyone can find love with any personality type (compatibility varies), but a couple often merges into a single entity and forms a fusion after a while.
Yes, this is a very common, well-known dysfunction of long-term intimate relationships. Much modern relationship advice is towards "differentiating" away from this fusion. Think about how it feels when your long-term partner does or says something you weren't able to see coming from 5 miles down the winding road. Instead of having one of the same old arguments; you can have a new fresh argument that might actually lead towards growth.

I also agree that in theory anybody can have a functional relationship with anybody else GIVEN appropriate boundaries or enough time/energy. Of course, at nth degree, appropriate boundaries may mean that they have a tracking device attached to their ankle, and you are behind the fence that will sound alarm, and enough time/energy might amount to "not in this lifetime."

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

AxelHeyst wrote:1. I have the skills and ability to earn my own money without much trouble if the need arises on short notice.
2. Per the scenario I have 2-5 years CoL saved up. In other words, I have FU money I can deploy should the relationship fall apart, and the skills to spin up an alternative income stream.
3. If I’m doing postconsumer praxis ‘right’, as time goes on the chances of me incidentally generating further income streams out of the dynamic grist of my freedom-to curiosities is high. So at some point I’m likely to be dumping at least my own CoL flow into the relationship myself.
In my experience, upon reflection, (3) is the towards the meat of the problem, which is really that you are attempting to integrate lifestyles that are built on different scales/assumptions. IOW, if your partner is living a $48,000/year lifestyle and you are living a $6000/year lifestyle, your (my) token donation of maybe $300/month towards shared expenses is not going to make the difference that makes a difference, but contributing more than that to a lifestyle you find excessive is not going to fly either. I have even found this to be true in terms of just chipping in labor. For instance, when my second "husband" wanted to buy and renovate yet another rental property, I wasn't very interested in riding shotgun on a project that would put the annual household income even further over the 6 figure level.

So, I am pretty much stuck with either solo-polyamorous-ecosexual practice or a very, very, long search for an otherwise attractive primary male partner in my preferred age range who actually wants to live in a camper on a vacant lot with me.
From a younger that boomer postconsumer perspective on the question, perhaps my straightest answer is that I reject the assumption that I have to assume / fall into the traditional pitfalls associated with reversing the gender roles due to my own accumulated/ing competencies.
Gotcha. Thanks. That makes sense.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

ETA-okay I find your metacrisis and sd angles very interesting/important. You got me. :D

Some housekeeping on my end:
If the question really is “would you sign up for being a kept man?” Then my answer is “pff fuck no, not in a million years, *obviously*.”

But it wouldn’t occur to me that I’d ever LTR up with someone who runs their lifestyle at $48k. That’s clearly an incompatible mismatch of lifestyle expectations. What would they spend it on?? I’d build them a tiny cabin out of scrap and love on my family land from which they can remotely do whatever it is they do that generates their mostly incidental $60k while I figure out how to grow all our food inside buried greenhouses and recycle our moisture like Fremen…

(Sorry if it sounded like I was disagreeing with peoples opinions by the way… not the case. I was disagreeing with what set of conditions it was we all thought we were having opinions about.)

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

AxelHeyst wrote:But it wouldn’t occur to me that I’d ever LTR up with someone who runs their lifestyle at $48k. That’s clearly an incompatible mismatch of lifestyle expectations. What would they spend it on??
Well, in the case of the last partner with whom I shared house-space, rough break down would be something like:

Earned Income:$120,000
Passive Income: $50,000??
Taxes: $20,000??
Retirement Fund/Investments: $40,000?? (give or take with the taxes)
Child Support/Alimony: $30,000
Expenses directly related to employment: $7000
Lifestyle: $28,000

So, if I threw the token $300 or $500/month at him, I would have been mostly indirectly supporting his support of his ex-wife's fairly lavish lifestyle and or the growth of his investment/retirement account which was already WAAAAAAAY larger than mine. And, that's pretty much never going to happen. Ergo, FatFIR not-so-E and SelfEmployedSlacker/BohemianBarista ERE combo is not likely to work either, because the extra 2 mill he wants/needs in savings towards security/status/whatever-he-plans-to-do-if/when-actually-retires, I don't care about chipping in for either. I guess I'm selfish and/or lazy and/or quite possibly sexist that way. Your parking your boots by my bed, but spending your roll on her, uh-uh, baby, no matter that I am frugal to the extreme, no way that is going to fly.