Dizzy's adventurefuntime journey

Where are you and where are you going?
Chris

Re: Dizzy's adventurefuntime journey

Post by Chris »

dizzy wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:57 pm
Anyone who has a clue what a plumber with no college degree can do for a job when they realize they simply can no longer physically do the work anymore, I'm all ears
Teach at a trade school? Still be able to utilize the skills, with less demands on the body.

dizzy

Post by dizzy »

He doesn't have the diploma for that. In our state they require a 4-year program and a master's plumber license. With additional college degree preferred.
He only has a journeyman's apprenticeship cert that he got grandfathered into, he got that through working for his dad.
It's too bad since I think he'd be an excellent teacher. I brought this up again recently and he will not consider going back to school for the full license (which I get, he already knows all of that and it would take $$ and a lot of time)

Dream of Freedom

Post by Dream of Freedom »

So what is this bookworm's favorite flavor of books?

As for employment as a plumber has he considered applying to city government? They have a lot of water mains, sewage, storm drains, and even water towers to take care of. Are there certain tasks that are more painful than others? Has he asked about accommodations that could be made like not being assigned to certain jobs, ergonomic fixes, or partnering him up with someone who can help with the more painful tasks?

dizzy

Post by dizzy »

Most of local government positions seem to require a master's license.
There have been some smaller things he applied for and he never heard back. Earlier in pandemic he was applying for a lot of that since he thought benefits were good. Still pretty painful though, it would be harder than what he's doing now.

ANYWAY

Super incredible news!
I may or may not have gotten upset this weekend and he felt a kick in the pants about it (I am usually pretty calm). He decided to come up with an alternate solution- he decided to ask his boss for help- to hire an assistant. He had a whole speil worked up- with notes just in case- practiced giving the talk 3 times (to me, his dad, and his brother) and did it today. Guess what?

Not only did his boss agree, but he may get a small promotion out of it since part of it would involve taking on some admin duties from his boss. He doesn't love admin stuff but he is much more knowledgeable about the maintenance decisions than she is, and it would get stuff off her plate.
ALSO privately to me he said he feels better about getting a helper since he can train them, and then when we FIRE he can leave the place in good hands.

I'm super proud of him, it was a big step for him to think outside the box this way and ask for help. He's just really used to doing what he's told in work situations and putting nose to grindstone.

dizzy

Post by dizzy »

Since I have off and also I was motivated I decided to cook a celebration dinner (with plenty of leftovers for this week)

Had a pork butt in the freezer forever, threw it in the instant pot. Used a rub my husband made and upped the smoky since he loves that (smoked paprika). We have some dope beans so I cooked them up (they are called bayo gordo, v popular in central Mexico). Gonna throw some of the pork juice 'n' fat in there when it's done. Using the kohlrabi for a slaw (with garden mint, apple, tahini, honey, vinegar, and pistachios) and then I have some leftover chocolate cookies from last night's music gig for dessert.

On my end I had a nice weekend of gigs- Saturday night I had this unexpectedly cool music festival. It was invite only but a whole deal with big stage, 2 nights of music, camping, etc. The band after the one I played in asked me and the sax player to play with. We both are not super experienced (sax player is a kid but a savant, but struggles with mental health hasn't been in the gig world much yet...I'm basically a square so inexperienced that way) but between a handful of charts and just going for it we came up with horn lines for the whole 90 minute set.

The singer was floored and later he came up to me, said I need to talk to his trumpet player and get charts so I can sub with the wedding band he's in. Issue is- um, that trumpet player I have been playing with for 15+ years...he is the #1 trumpet player I play with (2 groups). So on the one hand I was stoked to be validated as a good player and maybe get some new opportunities, but also feel resentful since, that trumpet guy could have any time given me a gig? Literally in almost 20 years of knowing him he's never given me a gig outside of the bands we are in. He is a full time musician so has a lot more opportunities especially now. Sigh.

Anyway I saw trumpet man on Sunday night gig, took a deep breath, told him the deal and I'd be interested to sub if one of his usual calls weren't available. He was super noncomittal (I am guessing since the singer kinda is going over his head, the singer is the head of the band tho) but he said he'd send me a link to dropbox with the charts. Even if I never get hired in the band it would be useful to start learning the rep.

Also last night some people were very complimentary of my singing. I've moved into that role with a lot of pushing for it in the last 3 years since our singer ghosted. It was a real struggle to get the opportunity to sing (which I split with others in the band who are interested- I do most of it though, and neither of the other 2 were there last night). So when I get good feedback it's nice, people in the band were v negative for so long for some pretty BS reasons.

Both Sat and Sun paid more than expected, yay!

loutfard

Post by loutfard »

What about less demanding handyman jobs? Where I grew up, a school handyman job might have suited your husband. Low stress. Physically less demanding than most construction sector work. Often with a live-in apartment.

macg

Post by macg »

dizzy wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:57 pm
Anyone who has a clue what a plumber with no college degree can do for a job when they realize they simply can no longer physically do the work anymore, I'm all ears...
I have some friends that have had similar situations, although they were painters... Some thoughts:

General handyman jobs, either self-employed or at apartments/office buildings....

Home Depot / Lowe's...

Good luck!

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

macg wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:15 pm
Home Depot / Lowe's...
Note that HD is one of the companies that offer medical benefits to part time employees. It's not necessary to sling coffee for baristaFIRE.

dizzy

Post by dizzy »

Yes these are some of the things he's been applying for "institutional jobs" as I mentioned. He's worked at a school, a museum, a retirement complex, a community center, and now a convent.

He thought about HD/Lowe's types and DID apply to a few early in the pandemic, never heard back tho. He really wasn't that keen on it though- again have to lift/move a lot of stuff, and standing on feet all day.

I think I mentioned before but anyway he is not interested in self employment due to what his father went through, it was a lot of stress. He also said it was really expensive for the liability insurance and in our state at least a plumber has to have their own separate office address that they rent or own, they can't operate out of their own house.

He has NO interest to do his own thing under the table, he is terrified what will happen if something went wrong and he was on the hook for damages or worse, got in tax/operating without a license trouble. I've stopped mentioning it to him as a possibility.

We aren't worried about medical benefits, there's always marketplace/medicaid.

Anyway the good news is his boss seems very motivated about getting this helper since it will benefit her also (my husband will take some work off her plate), they have been making their plan all week. He said his repore with her is the best it's been. Back is bad but he's hanging in there....

--------------------

I don't know this is mentioned much but this idea of finding your replacement feels like a thing glossed over in FIRE. Maybe everyone hates their jobs too much, IDK. I'm going through the same thing at work, dropping a day started this week down to 4. I don't think my patients will be thrilled and they are begging to get squeezed in but this is a process I'm glad is starting, when I eventually leave someone(s) will be here to take my place and they won't be screwed.

Vaguely reminding me of what Gurdjieff was talking about of needing people to come up to a certain level below you in order to keep proceeding up towards freedom of a sort (SUPER paraphrased). Um....I don't think FIRE was EXACTLY what he was talking about lol.

dizzy

Post by dizzy »

Insomnia was bad last night, IDK. I gave up and got up early w/P2 this morning, teeny bit of QT. We have pretty opposite schedules. His boss is having a meeting with her boss today and she will bring up the hiring a helper idea. He said she sounds super enthusiastic and organized for once, they are definitely connecting on a different level this week.

Forgot to mention but I got a couple more gigs the last couple days both next month and October. Well, it's gig season! Mostly polka but this one thing where a group I'm in is the band at this janky fake wedding performance. It was weird last year, coolio. A little bummed since this other band I started playing with last year just got the first call to do a wedding (we never do these!) at a cool museum, but I already have polka and a wedding with different bands, I can't make it. It sounds fun tho.

Anyway my big trip is coming up! Did not pay too much for it- flight is free out there with Amex Biz Plat credits (yeah, annual fee but more than make up for it with the points and other stuff. I've churned those cards hard this year, just got my 4th) and 13k miles + $5.60 on the way back. Hotel night is free the night I get out there. Speaking of points P2 just got points posted for a card I did for him, about $1725 in value if I sell the points to my usual guy

I have most of my food for the 7-8 days I'll be hiking (spent a little on a couple nicer foods I wanted to try, maybe $100 for the week), will supplement with some hiker box stuff halfway through. I'll spend like $5 for a shower at that place too (a state-run camp with store) and a few bucks on a nice treat or two. Plus shower at the end I think that's $7, and uber to airport. I should be able to get meals in the airport for free with my credit card. My glute was acting up a little last night but hopefully I will be good to go! Hopefully in a week and a half I'll be donezo my 4th national scenic trail.

P2 and I will have a little QT tonight, I think just getting some takeout and staying in. Work tomorrow is a wreck, I succumbed and am double booked half the morning. 11 patients in 3 hours, ugh (usually I see 3/hr tops) and one person who is always trouble but hasn't shown up in two years. I'm ready for vacation!

dizzy

Post by dizzy »

Well goodness, a wacky couple of weeks.

Went out to CO for my trip. I didn't complete my hike :(
As expected, got a lil winded, a lil altitude sickness. I slept at 8k+ my first night right when I landed and then over 12k feet (but no further!) the next night and hit the high point of the trail the morning after that (basically day 2). DID knock out another 55 miles of trail and WAS technically ahead of schedule but I was feeling exhausted, supersunburnt, and feeling increasingly nervous I wouldn't get to the airport in time for my gig on Labor day back east which was sounding increasingly sketch.

Got off trail instead of going on the other 75 miles...I had an unexpected hotel night that paid in cash for, I guess I'll go back and MS that to cover with points. Did an epic train ride into town I didn't expect so that was cool, $35 but well worth it.

I ended up with 2 more nights in hotel just to relax (these were free and actually had a credit, I used it for dinner both nights at this awesome beer garden on the river) before heading home. Got a few duds for upcoming gigs very cheap (Durango has amazing thrift stores). Mixed bag of I'm buying used/inexpensive stuff and it's fun but as a front person needing to often spice things up when I perform. So much more pressure as a woman, the guys definitely don't have that pressure. Anyway I got a brand new black dress for wedding/etc gigs and funky one for my NYE gig, both originally about $150 each and I paid $5 and $16 respectively plus some rando stuff to wear on plane that didn't stink like hiking clothes did.

Gig I was coming home from trip early for was wild, was like pulling teeth to get the music for it. Ended up basically not playing any of it. They'd just call tunes and me and a bass player were trying to read off the piano guy's iPad, and half the tunes had no melody (only chords) so I was like um....wtf am I supposed to play. Mostly jazz, motown, R&B wedding jams which was NOT the klezmer, Israeli, and merengue the guy told me we were playing. PS! I don't know how to play jazz so that was neat. The guitarist would just point to me and I'd play something? They were happy apparently....

I had to drive almost 3 hours and whoops bring the guitarist and singer. Guitarist who is friend of a friend booked me, he was SO disorganized but a good egg I guess? Talented player. Super hot, the bride passed out during the ceremony which was almost hour and a half long bc it was in 3 languages. Bride's dad was a mafioso he made a big deal and left halfway through. Groom's parents were so intense about everything and for some reason they kept talking at me about what music we should be playing (I was like uhhhh I'm not in charge?). I had no idea how much I was going to get paid since the guy was rambling every time I talked to him, thought it could be anywhere from $300 to $800...I got $960 in the end which was wild but awesome!

Gig season is heating up even more...got even more gigs and most of the new ones are polka which pay good. I guess I lost just enough weight that I can maybe manage to fit into my dirndls but still tight. Time for daily gym :/

Meanwhile nothing moving on my husband's job where he asked them to hire an assistant...he had another mental/physical breakdown last night after a gonzo day there with OT which was really hard (it was my 1st day back to work and while my day wasn't the worst I was already feeling overwhelmed/meh on that plus the whole day was crazy with gig communications). Also his boss is back from vacation and she sounds really incompetent.

He said this morning that he is going to let his boss know exactly what he is dealing with on the physical side and that he is going to have to call people to help...there's a part of me that's like duhhhhh but I am also recognizing that it's really really hard for him to do that. He was raised in the just work through it mentality...and his job for years was with his dad's company so even less likely to complain, if his dad could do it he could.
Amazingly though his back was way better this morning after being so bad he was moaning last night in his sleep....he is really realizing how much his emotional state is effecting the pain this time around. He has definitely talked about he needs better stress coping techniques, it's hard since some of his usual stuff he can't do due to the pain or logistics around it.

He has a hard time dealing with change but he is at least cognizant about it. We will talk more this weekend about the future of his working.

In other related news I have come across something called special situations investing. There was a thing recently with JNJ stock that was a low risk arbitrage play and I'm very interested in it. Apparently I was in contact with a relative a ways back of someone who is a big person in that, I met the investor person many times. The work from the relative almost filled up my IRA that year so it's cool that's coming full circle maybe. I started networking with someone on my churning forum a bit for that...there are a few people who are interested. Probably the first play I'll do is this mispriced bond thing by a major company that bought another company out, that is shooting off 9.3% interest guaranteed for next 70+yrs, I researched it and feel good about it (trick is finding way to actually buy it but I got recommended a broker who can do it). This could make a huge difference for FIRE!

dizzy

Post by dizzy »

Yo yo yo, what's doin....

Well last week was back to the grind. Gig, day job, more gigs.

I *did* get paid for that insaneo gig last week, made almost $1k, whoooaaaaat? Guess it was worth it...
That guy also made a couple re-connections through me. I was chatting with one of those people he ended up talking to and we are going to try to leverage that into some work on a trip to LA in the coming months. I haven't been in forever and want to visit friends and my buddy hopes to visit family and friends. My friend is a long time music legend who needs the money (I already decided I'd pay for his ticket, it's a small thing for me to do, I have tons of points so it's free anyway). As for me I'm oooook without money but it's just nicer if have some gigs to play.

Had 4 gigs this past weekend because it's gig season! They went mostly well. I sang a couple times and it was received well so that was good. One of the days I crammed stuff in- regular work then 3 gigs after and still was home by 8p, really felt like a satisfying day. I get revved up by things like that. If I had not so many days work but days like that on occasion I think I'd be cool with it. Thought I was going to get some extra side work from the day job this weekend but it didn't pan out. I guess I must be refreshed enough from vacation though since I was up for it instead of dreading it.

Been researching more about the special situations investing...I found course notes from a class at Columbia online and read a book. Also some guy I networked with in my "bank robberies" group has shared a login with me to a private ideas group. He was so generous, I just asked and offered to split the subscription but he said he didn't want any money! I'm just very excited, one of my things in life that I had been doing pretty well for a while is "go towards what gets you excited". The last couple years have not been that as much.

As for today, well, it's my "day off" but a big bank robbery day. I have to run out to pick up some things for reselling, grab things at Staples, make an order online for reselling, and follow up on a bonus. If all goes well I'll be a long way towards a couple of bonuses by week's end but mostly getting that done today. Tonight I will go see a favorite singer of mine- I've barely gone out to any shows since the pandemic (and I guess I don't go that many times to things, unless I'm already playing at the show or festival). I managed to get 30% off the ticket and get free food and drink with some deals so I'm happy about that.

Hopefully soon I'll have a lot of money to pour into my savings!

dizzy

Post by dizzy »

Update! Not TOO busy weekend, could have been worse.
I had off on Friday as part of my new strategy, got to have date night w/P2. I spent another day doing most of "bank robberies" all day, had to drive around and do some picking up and delivery for couple hours. I

Had a gig on Saturday night, went really well, paid well. Work was busy earlier in the day but then end of the day was dead, yay, I had some time between work and the gig. ALSO I was able to fit into my dirndl, phew!!!

Sunday I had a rehearsal where we also dropped by a friend's party to play a short set, rest of day was with my husband so nice to have some QT again.

Yesterday I went to dentist for annual checkup and then some bank robberies for a couple hours, before
I made a lot of progress overall last week towards various bonuses, value if I sell at usual rates of the bonuses about: $1380, $2125, $1670, $1100.
I might be able to stack something else I found out so going to give that a try today to get that going.

I also got $100 bank bonus and successfully app'd another account that will get $400 bonus.

Even though it's taking time I'm getting more comfortable with reselling which is something I'm doing more. I am feeling better about the whole process and starting to drop ship so that will hopefully take a lot less time (won't have to drive somewhere).

Food updates:
Been working through the 2nd to last bag of giant (maybe sketch? or at least inflated with water idk) chicken breasts which I bought for under 50 cents a lb back in 2021 for our wedding. I definitely bought 10 bags......last week it came out nice but I burned the sauce (TJ's guajillo salsa).
This time I put too much water but it was kinda cool since it became a broth I guess. I used red onions, fresh tomatillos and a jar of salsa verde, plus some spices and water.

P2 is "bean-ed out" so I might just stick to some canned beans to switch it up, since he hates those even more.

I did a GC reselling deal and now have all these credits at Acme, plus our greens are coming back in the garden so we'll skip the CSA produce box a bit coming up.

Overall not a super stressful week but I actually am feeling pretty down and meh. Really not happy where I'm at with my weight/health. Weight is highest it's ever been, I couldn't get dirndl on at the start of last week. Sleep has been shit again. I haven't been taking supplements. Haven't been doing other self care tho I did one thing on Saturday when I had time. Haven't gotten back to a good exercising routine since I threw my back out last month.. I went to gym a couple times doing minimum weights and started getting the issues in my back and leg again couple hours or day later every time. Once it went into my other leg where I never had pain before. Ugh. I took a few days off again and am just doing a little at home on exercise bike, 5lb dumbells, and kayak rower machine we have. Trying to be patient with myself and get the ball rolling as it can.

I have some cool gigs this weekend so looking forward to that at least!

dizzy

Post by dizzy »

Well, about 3/4 of the way through gig season. Doin ok!

My mental state has been mostly not great, feeling down and low energy. P2 keeps going from wanting to quit immediately to not, sometimes in the same day. It's really wearing on me. I guess we don't have great options and P2 is only open to certain things. He *did* at some point come up with this idea of a business he thought he could start but then gave up when it looked pretty certain he has to get the license that takes 4 years or whatever. I checked again with the state and they said yeah there definitely is no shortcut for him despite all his experience.

I also looked at numbers for September at the day job and by going from 5 days to 4 somehow I've lost 1/3 of income? I do think it was a slower month but this is not good. I wish I hadn't done that but when I made the decision P2 was really encouraging me to do it and now I'm kinda stuck. One of the main admins at work (not for our office, but she basically does all the stuff the crappy practice manager doesn't) left, specifically bc of her. She always has my back when the practice manager (who doesn't like me apparently and never does the work she's supposed to on my shift, and tells people constantly we don't need to worry about the office I work in) drops the ball. So I'm definitely nervous about this. i guess it's further pushing me to leave sooner than later. Ugh I wish I didn't give up that day of work tho! I guess we'll see how the rest of the year goes, maybe September was a fluke.

My 3rd gig which is churning aka "bank robberies" as my husband calls it has been doin ok though...I'm plowing my way through a lot of bonuses. That 2nd prime day yesterday was bananas I did a lot of work towards it.

On the food front there was a sale on cases of paste tomatoes from the CSA so I made 18 bags of tomato sauce last weekend! It wasn't that hard actually kinda fun. So I ordered another case to make bags of crushed tomatoes which we also use a lot. It never occurred to me to just freeze stuff, it's soooo much easier than canning.

dizzy

Post by dizzy »

Well I guess one small update- ran into my boss at the coffee shop (killing some time out of the office bc an exterminator came. Don't worry, the coffee was free with one of my deals). He said that September is always a slow month. He admitted that he didn't know for our office specifically (it's a different demographic although in last 2 years getting closer to the other offices). Usually September is a busier month for us but anyway it made me feel slightly better.

dizzy

Post by dizzy »

Well, the inevitable happened, P2 quit his job suddenly.

>>insert sad trombone<<

This of course happened right before a little trip we had planned to celebrate my birthday and our anniversary. Seems he always does a great job with the timing, yoy (other times he's quit included telling me on valentine's day and less than a month after we got engaged).
I was feeling many feels- angry, overwhelmed, anxious, sad for him, glad for him. He was super anxious again for couple days but also at the same time feeling much better/relaxed then I've seen him in months. Does that make sense?
Anyway got through the rest of the week. I decided to just spend normally on stuff on the trip (we had planned a tourist train ride and at least one nice dinner out). I used points for a lot of it anyway.

P2 really just wanted to enjoy the trip and be present without talking about the future too much. We did talk a little bit but not crazy details.
We just talked more now that we are back.

-I'm coming into big season for my "bank robberies" biz and plan to hit it hard. This is about 1 full year since I've started to ramp things up significantly. And I didn't even do the main thing (reselling/dropshipping) last year, just reselling gift cards. I am getting us set up in advance with the proper credit card bonuses to hit to maximize this.
-I want to get kickstarted on my health again which went by the wayside last couple months since my back issues acted up. P2 is going to help me significantly with cooking. I have this diet I found (with a lot of links to relevant research/studies, I like!) for hormone management (technically PCOS which it's not confirmed I have, but it's good for estrogen dominance also which I DO have). I have really struggled to lose weight any time I've been overweight and my hormones have been a mess since, forever.
It's a pretty chill diet and it comes with simple recipes. P2 really learned to cook more over the pandemic since we had more time together (rest of his life he mostly eats cold soup out of cans, facepalm) and he's lately even said he really feels a lot better doing that.
-#1 thing either of us has blown money on has been stress eating (both of us) and/or eating on the go bc too busy (moreso me). If he can help with that we will use the money we have more effectively (aka save it/grow it)
-P2 doing this will also give me more time to exercise or spend time earning money.
-P2 wants to have structure, he thinks this will help him get stuff done, feel like he is contributing, and support mental health. He suggested to use the work order system he set up for his past jobs for our house. I can add tasks there. It feels a little weird (like, am I making my husband an indentured servant of some sort? yikes) but at the same time it feels good also?
-P2 is also going to restart some home projects which have been sitting around forever. Again, this time we are using work order app
-P2 plans to pay the mortgage off ASAP for peace of mind. It's $3500 so not much. So his basic COL (no fun, no extras) is going to go down to ~$1k/mo.
-P2 is also going to do food deliveries again but lower stress, if he is going crazy from idiots there is less pressure on him and he can say FU

I guess this is most of it for now.

Well I guess we see how this experiment goes!

dizzy

Post by dizzy »

Um!

Feels like so much happened, even if maybe it didn't also?

P2 decided not to pay off mortgage right away, he decided to keep the couple months' breathing room. He also got his homestead rebate so feeling a little bit of a breath
I'm taking over pretty much all household payments, except I will keep giving him the monthly "rent" (which goes towards mortgage and utils). He doesn't want to combine accounts, IDK it's been working for us so far.
P2 is going to do food deliveries again when he's up to it.
P2 sprained his foot so was down for the count for couple weeks.

P2 is helping me with cooking now that he's up and about again but there's been a learning curve. I often have to end up doing even more of the planning for him besides how I've already tried to set things up to make it easy as possible for him, trying to be cognizant of his burnout and depression. For instance, I asked him to make a stew. I bought all the groceries. I sent the recipes couple weeks in advance saying I'd be asking him to make these in a couple weeks, then again when I asked him to make it. Because the actual recipe didn't have the word "stew" in it even though it was obvious that it was a stew, and involved "stew meat", he was all confused and said he couldn't find it. Also bc I said beef cubes in the email I sent (and then he was confused, I needed to both text it and add it to "to-do" app) and not beef stew meat he couldn't find the meat in our freezer. So then I had to go and dethaw it, and not have something to eat for that day's work dinner (I usually work during dinnertime), and print the recipe out physically. We talked about it and he said he is really wanting to do everything "right" since he doesn't feel like he has a lot to do, but it's frustrating for both of us at the same time. I guess I'm not the first nor last with this issue though. Emotional labor is a whole thing, and women are often the brunt of it.

I know this is sounding bad. I get where he is coming from, and he is really trying to help, but I'm just exhausted also.

P2 has been having a couple brighter days where he is feeling more motivated about tweaking our camper trailer the way we want it. Some days he feels super down and like it's sooooooo far away but other days he is feeling better and researching things. I keep encouraging him in this direction and telling him, hey, this work is for YOU. Not for anyone else, it directly benefits you, it's like you are paying for YOU. Also I have all these credits that mean we get $125 each month currently of Amazon or Lowe's or similar gift cards for $25. I keep trying to say, hey, we can't do everything all at once but if we plan we have a lot of resources for pretty cheap. Work smarter not harder! Occasionally I can get through to him but there are clouds a lot of the time. Overall he is managing better though.

PS some of those things relate to new (lighter) water heater maybe, solar panels, replacing the doors with something lighter/less ugly (ok that's my request), replacing fridge with something smaller/more energy efficient, just to name a few. He is the expert on the mechanical stuff so I'm glad there is this project.

Anyway! On a bright note some bonuses posted, I sold a bunch of travel points, and getting ready to make a big deposit into my solo401k. I'm also picking up a few extra gigs for Dec so that's nice.

We are going to go visit his parents in FL. He said he can't take more than a couple of days in FL (I said there is no way I am spending half my vacation time sitting at home for 3 days) so we will go to NOLA since it's a quick flight. I'm excited about this, good food and music. I have a lot of credits I can use for food and the flights were free and hotel very reasonable (and included more food/drink credits) so feeling good about it. I've only been once and I was on tour and it was pouring rain the whole time so I didn't actually hear any other musicians play. My husband has never been and he's really looking forward.

dizzy

Post by dizzy »

Well, it's been a minute for me. It just felt like a whole lot last month (months???). but we are making progress despite health issues for me (I got a sick and it's been 3 weeks not fully recovered. Lost hearing a bit. Worked/vacationed through it? It wasn't covid at least). Had ok vacation- nothing crazy but we had a good break. Great music in Nola, we heard some awesome musicians and I was super happy to see some women playing too (as an instrumentalist woman in jazz this is a whole thing). Fck it, I decided to take a few days off for the holidays as well (it's up to us if we work or not and it seems like the other two at my work, just always work? IDK. We will go visit my brother and P2's cousin in CO after New Year's).

I'm still struggling with getting my exercise routine in gear but did a month of "diet" leading up to when I got sick and the wheels fell off. I didn't lose any weight but noticed I was less hangry so thinking that insulin resistance is a part of my problems.

ANYHOOTS for P2 he is getting better though I try to describe it like the stock market (ahhaha)- it's not a strictly linear process recovering from burnout. But I think this time he is starting to be ok with me being more the "working" person and him still doing stuff of value just not doing the day to day 9-5 grind (which he doesn't want to do anyway! but can be v hard to really break out of).

When we have energy we are getting stuff together for our little camper trailer. We have various ways that we are looking to make it more home and P2 is definitely the lead person on design/installation (I am the deals person). Right now he is researching solar, and about to build a composting toilet to replace the normal one that it came with. If we get rid of that we can boondock a lot longer making our water last longer. Fine with me!

The solar thing is a whole learning process since electrical is not his wheelhouse, but he has more mechanical ability than me for sure. I think the current plan is going to be to put 3x larger size panels on top- somewhere between 150 and 200 watts each. I have five CC's that get me 80% off at various retailers each month via buying gift cards at Staples so that's $125 credit each month for $25. Right now I've been getting Amazon since we can get the solar panels and other needed things (MPPT controller, batteries, mounting accessories) there.

We are thinking to try to not use an inverter and avoid anything that doesn't run on 12v. I don't know we really need it.

Other things we are researching: 12v fridge with compressor. Sorry but I refuse to live long-term without a fridge. Ours is not very energy efficient (it's a 3 way), we plan to sell it and get something smaller to get a little extra cabinet space, and also to get something that uses less energy. So learning about that. Only issue is that the nicer ones aren't available with Amazon credits, I'm keeping an eye out to see if something used pops up. Still not 100% sure on which brand, maybe it doesn't matter TOO much.

We are also looking at these solar cookers which seem SUPER fun and work well. P2 loves to bake and we were at a loss on how to do this with the camper until we discovered the GoSun cookers. I'm not sure if it's possible for us to design something similar or if it's not worth the trouble. Anyway also keeping an eye out for used and/or it can be a project for P2.

It's been up and down but we are both feeling a bit of optimism. We also are feeling slightly hesitant since it will be a big change (and especially for me in a way- I've done the whole adventuretime thing, but I've really built up my career connections over the last few years). Trying to thread a needle to not blow EVERYTHING up but also recognize that we both are really interested in this new adventure, and it could be worth it, won't know unless we try.

Meanwhile I finished up my $22.5k for solo401k. I just cashed out more points and also will be taking a break from my reselling biz around end of year when the holiday deals stop. My funds get locked up for a little bit when I'm doing the deals. I'll settle up then with things like filling up IRA and dealing with taxes. I want to do one of these IRA match deals, unsure which to do (RH gold offers 3% match but you have to stay with them for a while...SoFI does 1% but shorter holding period. Then there's moving brokerages around as well which feels like more of a PIA with the solo401k and I don't have tons in normal IRA...decisions, decisions).

dizzy

Post by dizzy »

Uh hey!
Quick updates:

Holidays were busy...we traveled in early Jan after last of gigs, got back and my husband got covid which meant once again exercise kind of on a standstill since I had to quarantine also from him (I didn't get it tho so I could still work if had mask and no sx/no positive. But no gym for me). End of Jan I started working out at a hot fitness place that opened up and had a deal- I like it a lot surprisingly. Took a break when that deal ran out, just worked out at normal cheap gym but they did another deal so I'm back.
I've been consistently working out 3-6 times a week between the 2 places and eating healthier but no weight loss yet, ugh. I am TRYING not to focus on that number part of it as much.

Food- P2 has been really trying to take on more of the cooking. We got a lot of free or heavily discounted food so far in 2024- grocery store points from gift card reselling, amazon cards for 80% off, meal kit churning.

I finally am working on the RH gold deal, there was a problem with my fidelity brokerage grrrr. Have to contact them again.
I am also going to rollover my solo401k at Schwab and then set up through deal at mysolo401k/brokerage at fidelity to gain a $500/yr tax credit (tho they have fees, but still profit in the end). However I have to fund remaining amount for 2023 so hopefully that's tomorrow I mail that check. Will try to also do trad IRA in RH for 2024 to take advantage of 3% through 4/30.

Meanwhile been reselling a lot of my points and miles to get some extra money, we aren't using it mostly.
ALSO
I got my first raise really in 5 years since I started at main job, raises aren't a thing so much in my industry unless rates are raised and/or you ask for it? Most people own their own biz and then when working for others it just doesn't really happen much. But I got something decent, hopefully that will help. Last couple weeks were slower.

Music is bonkers, I have a lot on my schedule coming up, this is looking to be busiest year yet. Unsure how this will work with RV living but just trying to be present for all possibilities of future-present life

dizzy

Post by dizzy »

Been a minute again!

SO

Some big things I think, that are hitting me bit by bit rather than all at once.

-I maxed out my solo401k last year both employer and employee!

-Maxed out both last year and this year's IRAs already! (for those sweet 3% robinhood bonuses)

-I got the Robinhood thing to work so hopefully this week the rest of my assets will roll over and I'll have earned a couple extra thousand into my IRAs and rolled over solo401k, interest free! Some of it already went through which is good.

-My husband got out of a risky stock position he's held for a few years with this biotech company which I feel relieved about. He was up over 5x which admittedly great but if he had sold at market highs couple years ago he would have been up 40x. But c'est la vie, you don't know until you are in something. I got him to max out his tradIRA for both last year and this year, this saved us between him and me a couple thousand in taxes this year and will help for next year- not just important for taxes but because my student loan payments start again probably in Jan 2025 (unless recertification is paused or delayed again, fingers crossed!). Still working on convincing him to do index funds (he bought half Apple- he already has a ton of shares! - since it's "what he knows" and half VTI. It could be worse (it was!)

-Seems like my raise is turning out to be significant. It's increased compensation for different parts of what I do (and still based on how many people I see), it's not like a flat 10% across the board and depends on how many of each service per day. But it's looking like it is making up for working one less day since I gave up my 5th day last fall.

-We are doing here and there these meal kits which there are good deals on. I've been running out of some stashes and recent grocery store runs are just, wow. I still have a pretty good setup with the CSA boxes but as that season rolls out will mix in some boxes. Example: just got 12 meals for $3 all in, and next week 8 meals for $20 all in plus a couple thousand airline miles + status points.

-Doing some trips! I did a 70 mile backpacking trip in Arkansas to see the eclipse, it was super awesome. Went to Asheville to visit a friend last weekend, also awesome. Visited Joshua Tree and my friend for my annual trip in March. In 2 weekends I'll go camping with my husband somewhere (he's surprising me where) and then week after that a little NYC trip for a family wedding, and gig I have. We did reschedule our summer vacation out West because I got too much work but I found new flights that are a lot cheaper

I guess that's it! otherwise just hustling with day job and music trying to keep it all together