Dark room at home

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
arbrk

Dark room at home

Post by arbrk »

Has anyone here set up a dark room with an enlarger and everything at home? I've developed film at home, but haven't printed. I've printed with an enlarger when I was a kid at summer camp, but I've never had to buy one myself. They seem to be going on craigslist for around $200. I guess not many people need a dark room at home anymore. A better place to ask is a photography forum (Although there, I would probably not need to ask, I will probably just search for a guide), but I figured I would post here and start a little documentation of building a dark room at home and figuring it out, in case anyone else wants to.

I have my grandfather's Leica III. It's the last Barnack Leica (original inventor of the Leica and 35mm camera in general) and I don't think it's possible to get a better camera. I don't think anyone has ever built one better than that. Plus, it's indestructible and fits in my pocket. So I use that for photography and I'm going to have some space in my basement once I move to my new house.

Walwen

Re: Dark room at home

Post by Walwen »

I have not done this myself (I only use digital), but if you think you'll use it enough to justify the cost, I'd go for it! You can get film developed at Walgreens (that have photo kiosks) but it takes a few days and they don't return the negatives.

arbrk

Re: Dark room at home

Post by arbrk »

I try to shoot a roll of film a week. Honestly, I'm not worried about "justifying the cost". The goal with photography is take more pictures and get more skills, not to make any money, but just to do something fun and creative. More = better. I don't even worry about quality, just quantity. I figure if I naturally shoot more, my photos will eventually get better. This is definitely true, especially since I use an all-manual camera with no light meter. It's all experience. Composition hasn't improved, but I'm happy even if I NEVER get better. I'm just trying to get photos for my scrapbook so I can remember my life later on, and to enjoy messing around, not make money or enter photo competitions.

The cost is also very minimal - I'll be getting old equiptment used on craigslist, so I can probably sell it for the same price later on if I want. So the only actual cost is chemistry.