Notebook of comandante

Where are you and where are you going?
comandante

Re: Notebook of comandante

Post by comandante »

delay wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:33 am
Interesting to read you think of investing of a job
I've even named my investment business, so it feels very much like an unincorporated tiny investment fund, in which I'm CEO and that trainee who does all the menial tasks. I don't have good returns to show for all this work. I'm underperforming the S&P500 about 6% yearly since I started. And yet, the value that it gives me is not only financial. It gives me a certain confidence that it's mine, and the good and the bad are caused by my skill or lack thereof. It also serves as a vehicle for me to find a meaning for all the reading I'd do anyway.
delay wrote:
I select stocks with dice
Ahahah, as long as it works for you. You're accepting that luck is a big part of investing and integrating it into your process through a random generator :)
delay wrote:
Enjoy the summer (and send some to Europe!)
Well, I am in Europe too. HC stands for Portugal.

delay

Post by delay »

comandante wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:59 am
Ahahah, as long as it works for you. You're accepting that luck is a big part of investing and integrating it into your process through a random generator :)
Yeah, so far it feels good, and it doesn't take a lot of time.
comandante wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:59 am
Well, I am in Europe too. HC stands for Portugal.
That's a great place to live! I had colleagues who migrated away from Portugal for work. Most of them went back like you have. The Netherlands is all about business.

comandante

Post by comandante »

These past few months have been so momentous that I don’t think I have fully taken in the fact that, if I wanted, I could think myself FI and be done with it. I feel it coming to me in discrete bursts and then lack of interest. For a moment I realize that this is actually happening, I’ve really done this. Then another thought and it vanishes. Perhaps I don’t believe in it, perhaps I don’t think of it as an in or out state. Or maybe with my life still in flux, I don’t consider it permanent. Running a very expensive (for me) scenario, I should be at a WR of 5,8%. If I wanted, I could adjust the spending to fall below 4%. I could, but I don’t think I will. Now that I think about it, it comes down to where in life I imagine myself to be in. I’m not in a settling phase anymore, although a part of me would like that. I’m in a scouting phase.
It’s great that FI is within reach. At best it allows me not to think about what I’ll have to do to earn money in the next months. At worst, it makes me feel a bit detached, a bit loony. Perhaps still related to the end of the relationship, I feel myself sometimes floating higher and higher into the unknown. When my self-confidence is normal, I take it as a wonderful thing, and wonder about the possibilities of possibilities, the great chance to build a life that’s exciting and solid, elegant and fun, kind and unexpected. Then there are days of low self-confidence, and I lose the spark to try new things, commiserate about the past, lose my step, can’t say a thing without sounding strange to myself. I think that will last for at least some weeks, until I leave this job. Sometimes I wonder if I haven’t stayed too long in these corporate jobs while detesting them out of principle. I hope I’ve paid my dues now, and whatever happens, I don’t make the same mistakes.
I’ve now been living for some months in HC. I used to say in NL that I was an aggressive cyclist. Always overtaking, quick to accelerate, finding the tiny spaces to squeeze myself through. I would explain that that came from cycling in HC, where one needs to pedal among insane cars, and always be on the lookout for a quick save from an accident. Now that I’m cycling in HC, I notice that I’ve gone softer, and don’t like it. There’s also the problem of car fumes in HC, which wasn’t a thing in NL. However, in NL there were the 50cc motorbikes on cyclopaths and those also emit a lot of fumes. In HC there are also affordable ubers. I’m still amazed at how I can sometimes take a uber for a 25min drive, cross a toll bridge, and only pay 8 euros. I don’t understand uber economics, but I’m enjoying it. I won’t buy a car soon.
Life isn’t bad, although in the past few days I’ve experienced an elusive self-confidence. I can be positive and think about how young I still am to have this opportunity to leave corporate jobs, and to design the life I want. In that state of mind, I get curious about my future.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

I can understand how you feel good one day and insecure the next. I've lived through periods like that, too. I hope the periods of insecurity grow shorter and the periods of security, when you're happy to explore your new options, will grow longer. But give yourself some time, this all definitely takes some adjusting and that can feel bad sometimes, even when it's actually not so bad.

I'm curious for further updates at some point. I hope you find fun things to do and great people to spend time with.