Late To Work

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
DividendGuy

Post by DividendGuy »

So...I've been doing the bike/bus thing for a couple months now and things have been generally going well. No fun biking in the rain, but I've now been there and done that. My routine is to bike to/from the bus stop which is about 2 miles from my apartment. I chain the bike there and wait for the bus. The bus ride is about 30 minutes into work (6 miles).
My problem is that twice now the bus has been pretty late. Today it was an hour late as two buses on my route broke down. My boss pulled me aside in the afternoon and had a short discussion with me where he "doesn't want to see my frugal ways get in the way of work".
My lease is up in August, and I've been thinking of moving to an apartment that is right in front of the bus stop I chain my bike to...therefore saving the bike ride. I'm starting to wonder if taking the bus at all will be a good idea. The problem is that there aren't any apartments or other good dwelling spaces near my work as it's very suburban around the location.
Maybe I need to buy a beater car or a scooter or something?
Any thoughts? I know there are quite a few public transportation users on the board.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

A bus that takes 30 minutes to go 6 miles is only averaging 12 mph. How fast can you pedal?
Any chance of carpooling?

DividendGuy

Post by DividendGuy »

@George
Well the bus takes two pretty decent breaks at transfer stations. And it stops quite a bit for passengers getting on/off the bus.
No carpooling, I tried that.
I could pedal fast enough to probably get to work in under an hour from where I'm at, which is about 8 miles away. But, I'd show up to work sweaty and there's no showers. It wouldn't be feasible.

aquadump

Post by aquadump »

I went from car-free to beater car recently. I don't mind the beater car. I bought a Haynes manual and have been teaching myself some basics. I don't find it as expensive as I was expecting (about $75 to $125 per month).
It's nice knowing that I don't need it in ERE, but it's convenient for a life other than bike commuting. And at the same time, it's not crippling me. Most weekends it stays parked on the street.

DividendGuy

Post by DividendGuy »

@rePete
Interesting. Any particular reason you are no longer car-free?
I'm really trying here. I WANT to be car-free. I'm just not sure the life I'm in right now will LET me be car-free. If I was ERE right now, it'd be fine as I would have no regular commitments. Having a regular job makes this difficult. I'm very much enjoying the savings and really don't want to go back to a car, but I'm feeling cornered.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Yes, with public transit there are outlier trips that take much longer than average.
I work under a flextime salary arrangement, so most of the time if I'm an hour late I just stay later, no harm no foul. On days when I have an appointment or meeting in the morning I plan to arrive at least an hour before that. There have been incidents where transit was running very late and I was barely on time due to my buffer.
I will note that coworkers tend to be critical of public transit snafus yet accommodating of car breakdowns and accidents. Be that as it may, until ERE it's on us to figure out how to show up on time, and if the bus can't do that you may have to look elsewhere.
Is there a different bus line that connects your workplace to apartments more directly?

DividendGuy

Post by DividendGuy »

@KevinW
I agree with you on co-workers and management being more accepting of car breakdowns over public transit issues. Just part of our culture, I suppose.
No, there is no other bus. I live in Sarasota, Fl. It's VERY car-centric here and I'm lucky just to have the bus route that goes near my apartment to my work. We have quite a few routes, but I'm finding out that the buses are extremely unreliable.

m741

Post by m741 »

What sort of job do you have where the boss gets angry that you've been an hour late twice in a couple months? Is it possible to just add that hour to the end of your day, or are you tied to a schedule?

DividendGuy

Post by DividendGuy »

@m741
I am a service advisor at an auto dealership. I write repair orders and sell oil changes, maintenance, repairs..etc. My schedule is pretty fixed 7:30-6 M-F. I can't add time because I leave when we close. Today I was there at 8:30...which wasn't bad because my first appointment wasn't until 9:30, because we are in off-season right now and it's slow.
My boss is a prick. I didn't tell him directly about my idea or even the fact that I ride the bus. But it's easy to figure out when he sees me standing at the bus stop after work. Word gets around..questions are asked.
I'm starting to think a scooter is a good compromise that is in-between the bus and a beater car. It's less expensive than even the cheapest beater car, requires minimal maintenance, no expensive repairs and no insurance. Great gas.
The problem is I actually like the bus and have gotten around town quite well on it. I really don't want to lay out any cash on a car or scooter or anything else. I have thought about moving closer to work...but again there aren't really any places to live near work...and if I did do something like that I'd live very far from everything else (groceries, pharmacy, activities). It's in an isolated part of town.

mikeBOS

Post by mikeBOS »

How about getting a mod kit for a bike and turning it into either an electric or gas powered bike with a pedal-assist motor?
If you could cobble something together yourself it would be way cheaper. Some of those kits cost more than a beater car. Though I'm sure the operating cost is on par with a pedal bike rather than expensive car repairs/insurance/registration.

Mirwen

Post by Mirwen »

I understand your situation. My city has a bus line but it is very unreliable. When I rode the bus, I would take the one an hour earlier than I really needed, just in case it broke down. The way I see it you have two choices, take the earlier bus or get a scooter. If you are OK with a scooter, it makes no sense to buy a car. Try taking the earlier bus and some reading material (or other time killer) with you. If you don't want to waste your time, buy a scooter. How much is that hour worth to you?

dot_com_vet

Post by dot_com_vet »

I agree with MikeBOS, try an electric bike. Electric assist + wind will keep you from getting sweaty. Popular in Europe in Asia.
If the bike trail here wasn't iced over or flooded 8 out of 12 months, I'd go that route.

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

Came here to say electric bike like the others. Much cheaper than a scooter, especially considering the lack of insurance and registration.

George the other one

Post by George the other one »

I live 8.4 miles away from my work and I mountain bike in every day I work. I'm in excelent shape (can run about a 15 minute 5k) so it isn't strenuous at all.
In the morning I put on spandex (cause biking in shorts sucks), a cycling shirt, helmet, and shoes. I also pack my work clothes on my bike rack/bag. Then I leave my house at about 6:45 am and get to work at at around 7:25 or so. When I get there I go into the bathroom, comb my hair, put on deoderent, and put on my work clothes. It is cool enough in the morning that I barely sweat and with the wind and cycling shirt any little bit that I do sweat evaporates.
Before going home I change back into my cycling gear (though some times minus the shirt but adding on sunscreen). Then on the ride home I push the pace a bit and usally get back in about 30 minutes (instead of the 40 minutes it takes me in the morning). However, on the way back I usually do break a sweat, but when I get home I go for a 10 mile run anyways so it doesn't matter (since I'm going to need to shower from the run anyways).
So yeah, I guess the main point is, "Start biking the full 8 miles and your body will adapt."

Hoplite

Post by Hoplite »

Unfortunately, either way it seems that leaving early is in the future (this is true even for extended car commutes). I rely on public transit, and even when it's good it's time consuming, which means usually allowing an extra hour for snafus. I do completely empathize with the desire to not buy anything to get you to work.
It's good that your boss acknowledges your frugal reasons for doing this (I hope he believes them), because when someone stops driving and starts bicycling, most people think DUI not ERE.
But, if you do as firefighterjeff says, one day when the boss is late you can glare at him, look at the clock, and walk away shaking your head in exasperation.

Maus

Post by Maus »

@DividendGuy

If you like this job, then get the beater car.
Look at it from your boss's perspective. He is committed to the automotive industry. That's where his profits come from. And you, one of his employees, seems to rejecting the automobile as a necessity. This has to be deeply suspicious to a guy like that. He's thinking, how can a guy who doesn't need oil changes upsell the schmoe who insists on the basic service.
Now, if you've arrived at the philosophical position that having no car is more in line with your values as an EREista, perhaps you need to think about a new job that's not so tied to the industry. But that's your call.

tjt

Post by tjt »

I agree with the suggestion to get a bike, assuming the roads are conducive. If it's a highway with no back roads, that's probably not a good suggestion.
If that's the case, get a scooter or motorcycle. Personally I have a motorcycle, have learned to do my own maintenance (including oil changes, so your boss should like that ;) ) and it's virtually free. $75/yr insurance, $25/year registration, $10/month gas. Beater cars are good in theory and I'm sure some people can point out their good experiences. My own experience was buying a $2000 car, followed by $2500 repairs over the next 4 months, then dumping it for $1000. I paid almost $1000/month :(
On the other hand, my motorcycle cost me $3000 and I will likely sell it many years from now for close to the same cost. Depreciation is extremely low if you take care of them.

DividendGuy

Post by DividendGuy »

Thanks all for the input. I couldn't post earlier, due to being at work. I read all the suggestions with gusto and have come up with a combination of ideas that I think will best suit my situation.
I'm going to still plan on moving to the apartment that is right in front of the bus stop, thereby saving the bike ride. I can walk to the bus stop.
I'm probably going to purchase a 50cc scooter once the move is complete. This will be my plan B. I don't feel too comfortable about riding it all the time around here, traffic is surprisingly dangerous...due to the large older population? I'm not sure. At any rate, they are cheap (~$650), require no insurance and minimal maintenance or gas.
If the bus is in fact running late or doesn't show up, I can simply walk back to my apartment and fire up the scooter. The bus is supposed to show up at ~7am and gets me to work at 7:25, right before I start. If 7:05 rolls around and no bus then I will scooter into work.
I think this plan may work.
Thanks again for the suggestions. As far as biking to work, I'm in good shape...but I still sweat pretty heavily, especially in the heat/humidity of SW Florida in the summer. Plus, we have a pretty heavy thoroughfare that runs to my work with no sidewalks. It's just doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling in regards to biking on it to work.

aquadump

Post by aquadump »

DG,
I went from car-free to beater car because I went from 6 miles to 14 miles to work and also on a bus line to realistically no public transit option. Also when I got the job offer, I was 2 months in on a 12 month lease. So it seemed all together that beater car was the best option for me.
Riding in the Florida humidity would be tough. I like your approach and look forward to your progress!

DividendGuy

Post by DividendGuy »

@rePete,
Thanks for the information. I hope the beater car works out for you!