Lentil Appreciation + Recipe Thread

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Salathor

Re: Lentil Appreciation + Recipe Thread

Post by Salathor »

Bringing this back to the earlier topic on gas--have a couple of kids and any inhibitions about ripping one will probably fade away. If there's four of you in the house, someone is probably gassy all the time.

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

guitarplayer wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:54 pm
That there is a whole squash, not processed anyhow. After a few hours of slow cooking turns out soft and succulent, skin inclusive, serve with a spoon, texture of butter. No more trying to peel a squash in fear of cutting your finger. Seeds turn out a nice addition of fat an protein, yummy to eat through.
Squash is finally in season and on sale so I made the notorious lentil soup with a full butternut squash last night. I opted to use the slow cooker rather than the instapot just to be safe. I had cooked up some bacon to make BLT's for dw for dinner and lunches this week. I used the bacon fat to make a mirepoix then just added that along with cabbage, squash, lentils and a variety of herbs and spices with a little bullion. I let it cool in the fridge overnight and blended it today while I was listening in to a staff meeting 8-)

Turned out great.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

Good stuff @WRC!

Recently I have also been putting in whole leaves of cabbage to cook in the slow cooker - they cook such nicely that then later can be used as wraps. This is vaguely reminiscent of one traditional food from where I am from.

shaz

Post by shaz »

@guitarplayer that looks like halupkis (maybe slightly different spelling of the same thing?). Now I feel like duh! Why did I never think of prepping the cabbage leaves in the slow cooker? I'm going to try that with my next cabbage.