Any Data Analysts?

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
Stahlmann

Re: Any Data Analysts?

Post by Stahlmann »

ether wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:48 am
1. just go to IRS website and do free file to get company ID called employer identification number (EIN)
https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-bu ... ein-online
2. make company bank account
3. have friend or yourself request for a paid project
4. deposit money into biz bank account
5. report taxes
6. when recruiter and backround check person from real company asks for proof of employement you can provide your tax return. the back round checker won't care how much you got paid just that it's a real biz
Elaborate this from angle of interviews, please. Maybe some book on this? :lol:

I see below problems:
- Who were your clients?
- Confidential.
- What were your projects?
- I did this and that.
- Can you show results?
- Confidential.
- Ok, nice interview. We gonna call you later.

ether

Post by ether »

Stahlmann wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:44 am
Elaborate this from angle of interviews, please. Maybe some book on this? :lol:

I see below problems:
- Who were your clients?
- Confidential.
- What were your projects?
- I did this and that.
- Can you show results?
- Confidential.
- Ok, nice interview. We gonna call you later.
I always tell people to make some personal projects with tableau public who will host your data for free and just use a wix or gituhub repo for html storage. I like using elementor and wordpress if you want to own your code.

the labor market is so screwed up for data folks that they will hire anyone. I've done like 20 ish interviews from the hiring side and half of them don't even know SQL but are applying and sometimes even get it.

It's all about mass apply with dice.com and linkedin and do as many interviews as possible. I've done like 50 interviews myself and only 10% asked for proof of skill most just steal questions of "100 SQL questions for interviews"

the key is just take the crappy remote data job that pays below market (think 35-40 buck an hour), learn as much as possible about a certain tech they use and then bail in 6 months.

I ended up having 6 jobs in 6 years and now I have a small biz offering consulting services at $120/hr

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

I wonder if the above holds for the EU as well or just the US. Sounds tempting tbh

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

@ether and others

As my mood is kicking in... and keep in mind it's not about kicking down your ideas, but more about curiosity. Maybe too absent minded, but whatever. Maybe as usual I will be talking with myself, not the users. I'm sometimes think about crazy solutions.

1. Do you see/know about workers of outside EU in your job (or not only white WASPs, ekhm or diversity hires)? I suspect not, prolly due payment/taxes hassles.
2. Do you know about secret market/rigs, like the case where smart US programmer "hired" people ehkm from developing countries and took "added value" to himself (and paid them let's say 5 USD). As Eastern European, I'm bit spoiled to work for 4 USD/h and prolly main programmer wouldn't be happy with 20 USD / 20 USD sharing. Again financial problems.
3. Going without recommendations (faking this is rather no no for me or I don't know something as smart asses say here "I always tell the truth, but I use it sparingly", eh translation doesn't get it well; or I heard stories of friends who become owners of "other private consulting", but I never encountered this in my real life or it was so good I got fooled :lol:; going "Catch me if you can" moviesque style won't work anyway as the real life main character started selling his insights :lol:) or overcoming this issue (as trying to get roles more than intern with "personal consulting company")?

It seems just getting local experience and then working for EUs would be more feasible.

Hmm. About "selling yourself" and being a bit nonchalant. I once discussed wthis with @MI and got told to go in direction of Stanislavoski's method. But where is line between faking CV and fine line? Yep, getting right hired and not being sucked is the answer :lol: I heard stories of senior programmers acting for juniors/medium just to give them job (especially in realm of outsourcing information of services between 1->3 world. The other story is selliing juniors in price of seniors to... propagate this system of BS.

Do we have some magicials in such acting in oil&ga, if so, pls contact me.

*this post doesn't endorse or promote breaking applicable laws or general ethics in respective jurisdictions, ekhm maybe for normies it's just way of life, can play this game of social facades without overthinking or my selfdiagnosed Asperger causes some kind need of being congruent, lack ability to play social games, thinking that people can read my thoughts (but not in psychotic way, more as easily reading my body language or easily pulling my tongue, not being firm on own statements), failing theory of mind test (if this other kid didn't know the contents of the box, it simply is the idiot :lol:) etc.

BTW jacob pls don't delete this, BTW I get idea of not providing why something got deleted as method of self educationon online etiquette for imposed impolite poster, but simple notification that something is out would be nice as I post something, then come back to see of history of posts and I'm not sure if I didn't posted or just it was just my pschosis xD; and the stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.*

Uff, end of my higher self high vibration ego crazy thought process. Have a nice day! :lol:

ether

Post by ether »

Stahlmann wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:29 am
1. Do you see/know about workers of outside EU in your job (or not only white WASPs, ekhm or diversity hires)? I suspect not, prolly due payment/taxes hassles.
USA is very multiracial and there is always still racism when hiring, but it's far from a ethnostate. I'm apart of the dominant ethnic group in the USA but within my trade I'm the minority. The key if you are a non citizen when doing work for a USA client is to establish a relationship with a US national, help them get a job in the trade and then provide support services to them to do the job for a cut of the pay. You want to look for corp to corp jobs that way sub contracting is expected.

I always tell people if your english is solid, you are good to go to start work in tech.
Stahlmann wrote:
2. Do you know about secret market/rigs, like the case where smart US programmer "hired" people ehkm from developing countries and took "added value" to himself (and paid them let's say 5 USD). As Eastern European, I'm bit spoiled to work for 4 USD/h and prolly main programmer wouldn't be happy with 20 USD / 20 USD sharing. Again financial problems.
The key thing is negotiation with an offshore partner and setting up good remote support. I suggest you look into KVM servers, travel routers, and VPN configuration. Here is a good guide I suggest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXbDg1v65Qs

your personal device->travel router -> wireguard VPN into offshore router -> client VPN

Think of it as the China model where you can't open a business in china without a 50/50 split with a local chinese owned company
Stahlmann wrote:

3. Going without recommendations (faking this is rather no no for me or I don't know something as smart asses say here "I always tell the truth, but I use it sparingly", eh translation doesn't get it well; or I heard stories of friends who become owners of "other private consulting", but I never encountered this in my real life or it was so good I got fooled :lol:; going "Catch me if you can" moviesque style won't work anyway as the real life main character started selling his insights :lol:) or overcoming this issue (as trying to get roles more than intern with "personal consulting company")?
Consulting companies come and go and we're all just mercenaries chasing the highest payer. I encourage people to keep a pulse on the skills market and always monitor if the key words you specialize in are growing or dying. There are plenty of bad actors in the small consulting world and it's only going to get worse as all corps outsource more and more of their technology. Here is an good intel report on how bad the situation has become within corpo america
https://www.euronews.com/next/2022/05/1 ... -the-regim

WFJ

Post by WFJ »

Has anyone observed how much "easier" data analysis has become in the last 5-ish years? My first data analyst project was 20-ish years ago trying to minimize cost of call wait time for a financial firm that took at least a few weeks to do complete (was more cost effective to place low revenue clients on indefinite hold/never answer the call and have 5-10 reps sit idly waiting for a high revenue client to call). Where now something like this can be done in minutes. I often ponder if making something complex too simple sets up a system for failure.

A few years ago, Bloomberg introduced a program called "Quantamental Analysis" that allowed one to automate a stepwise regression of all returns, all variables, all currencies and all time periods, all 33,000 Bloomberg variables which can be fed into a trading program with $25k subscription and an afternoon on a 1-800 call. In the past, this required a large team of competent quants, but now requires just $25k.

After the presentation, I spoke to the two guys who were promoting the service, didn't know if they were programmers or salesman, but made a comment like "Do people know that this can replace an entire team of quants with $25k and a few hours on a call?" Both looked at me and said something like "This happened to us" both had been quants in large teams and were replaced with a simple program costing $25k/year that was better, faster, more reliable, but subject to spurious regressions (which could also be programmed into the system). One marginal guy who understands something about basic stats could replace a massive team of quants...

In retrospect, I developed content knowledge then developed data skills, while it appears many are trying to develop data skills first, then market those skills to different content arenas and not sure if this will work given the power of computers and the ease of most data collection systems today. I have ZERO passion for either and just work when it pays well and interesting. Analyzing data has been easy, programming not so much, but canned programs are quite easy now.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

WFJ wrote: I often ponder if making something complex too simple sets up a system for failure.
Me too. For instance, I am trying to optimize my lifestyle WOG (web of goals) by making use of a linear programming widget which accepts up to 9 variables. I believe this will fail.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

Isnt' like that data analysts gonna get wiped thanks to chatgpt?
How to use chatgpt for professional settings without getting caught? working remote and using below trick?
I heard that there's method for cheating in poker which involves having 2 computers with 2 monitors, connected with KVM something something, computer #2 reads monitor of comptuter #1 and it takes some action like putting data to the bot, player reads data from #2 and play on #1.

zbigi

Post by zbigi »

@Stahlmann how do you imagine ChatGPT being relevant for the data analyst jobs?

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

Writing queries for SQL and more advanced tools?

zbigi

Post by zbigi »

Writing queries is easy and doesn't take that long (they're usually under 100 lines of code). It's probably easier to write the query yourself than to explain to chat GPT what query you want, and then go through it to make sure it's what you wanted.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I think data analysis (broadly defined) is more likely to boom than bust with the further integration of AI, but it will be necessary to learn how to use it as a tool or assistant. I might work on a project with my DS34 (INTP)who has some expertise in computational linguistics.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

Found a website that talks about software trends in data analytics https://r4stats.com/ research there looks well documented and does not seem R biased (like one could assume from the website’s URL). Uses job searches on indeed, scientific articles found via google.scholar search and others. Find it a better source of info than looking up reddit or quora.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@guitarplayer:

Helpful. Thanks!

This is what I am interested in, but not intelligent enough* to research:

https://towardsdatascience.com/some-tho ... 1d78ed4bd5

https://www.mdpi.com/2078-2489/3/2/175

I think it is pretty obvious how doing research/project related to the first link could prove profitable for many businesses. It could also be useful in developing an ERE web of goals :lol:

*Also, I am going to be too busy riding on an elliptical to increase my VO2 max.