"How to survive without a salary" by Charles Long

Your favorite books and links
zbigi

"How to survive without a salary" by Charles Long

Post by zbigi »

Did anyone read it? I don't have access to it, so can't tell if it's any good. Title sounds promising.

Amazon's recommender system even lumps it together with Jacob's book.

Stahlmann

Re: "How to survive without a salary" by Charles Long

Post by Stahlmann »

Yeah, local guru approves it.
The gist is to have mini jobs time to time and be very creative between them.

PS. I also wasn't able to infoanarchise it in the past.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

It's good, worth a read if you can get a hold of it for minimal $, but if you've read ERE and YMOYL nothing in it is going to change your life. Maybe more interesting from a historical perspective on the time freedom/simple living/protoFIRE movement timeline.

sky

Post by sky »

It is somewhat dated, although much advice in the book is timeless. How to reduce expenses, budget, reducing one's needs, extreme lifestyle changes to drastically reduce expenses, side hustles, tax strategies. Charles Long is definitely one of us. I looked at it again today and would say it has good advice, although some advice is more for the 1990's than today.

rref

Post by rref »

As a data point I read it three years ago, but it has left absolutely no impression. Not a single thing about its contents comes to mind.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

It's one of the pre-internet classics. The best way to describe it in ERE vernacular is "intermittent work" for the "working man quadrant" (hence no salary). The basic message is "if you're frugal, you don't need much money, and if you don't need much money, you don't need to work all the time, and if you don't work all the time, you need a willingness and ability to find and work many different jobs".

Books in the same category include Bob Clyatt (semi-retirement) and Tim Ferris (4HWW). The CL book is useful because it shows an alternative to the "online business and geoarbitrage"-method that pervades the internet.

FWIW, my sister stole my copy and lived as described in the book for ~15 years before turning into a suburban soccer mom.