Walking on ice

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Walking on ice

Post by jacob »

Yesterday, we walked 12km on this surface. A forest trail that has remelted and frozen over and over. What you see on the right is all ice, not slush.
I'm looking for some traction that will fit hiking boots. DIY would be fantastic, but I'm willing to break my buy-nothing streak (4 months) for a commercial solution.

Key parameters:
Long distance, combination of ice, snow, slush, AND short stretches of gravel, sidewalks or asphalt.

I've been looking at yaktrax, but they seem like they wouldn't last hundreds of miles, crampons which look too aggressive---I worry they'll chew up the bootsoles when walking on sidewalks, and a cleat-thingy, which I'm leaning towards.

Links are more or less random.

theanimal

Re: Walking on ice

Post by theanimal »

Definitely don't get crampons. It's overkill and won't be much fun walking after a few miles. Yak tracks are the standard from my experience and what I understand. There are different variations that may be superior. I don't have any specific recommendations as I don't deal with these types of conditions frequently. They do last a while though. I bet you could pick some up in the summer for a few dollars.

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

Do you use hiking poles or a walking stick? My grandpa had a walking stick made out of an old shovel handle that he drove a headless nail into for extra purchase. When out moving over (non-steep) ice I usually have ski poles with metal tips. This makes it much easier to move over snow and ice with four points of contact even in hiking/ski boots that are slippery.

Another multi-purpose solution: https://www.amazon.com/STABILicers-Voya ... 8U5LM?th=1
I have a pair of the NEOS overboots (not ice ones) that have a vibram sole. $80 on clearance 3-4 years ago. I use them for back-country snow camping and hiking. They will go over your regular boots and are very comfortable for hiking.They increase your surface area quite a bit for not much weight. I find that the non-ice specific ones do great on ice. In the winter, my hiking boots live inside the overboots for wood chopping and chores around the house in the snow. I do not lace them up, just use the strap on the overboots.

Edit: other DIY solution. Maybe you could screw some short length but large head screws into an old pair of tennis shoes under the insert and get a pair of waterproof neoprene socks for the slush?

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Walk at the mall. Not worth the risk of closed head injury or hip fracture.

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

Seems like you might be able to DIY something like this with some hard plastic, small hardware, some webbing, and some velcro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwKt2MOR4aA It would rotate to the top of your boot when walking over non- ice/snow.

edit: updated video link that has more close-up footage.
Last edited by mountainFrugal on Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Kahtoola Microspikes are popular for scrambling in mountains in winter conditions. More aggressive than yaktrax but less than crampons.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Gilberto de Piento wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:49 am
Kahtoola Microspikes are popular for scrambling in mountains in winter conditions. More aggressive than yaktrax but less than crampons.
I think that's what I mistakenly referred to as crampons in my link above? I'm worried that they might dig into the sole and start destroying it as soon as I'm on an ice free sidewalk?

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Walk Like a Penguin

The Farmer’s Almanac, which provides annual weather forecasts among a collection of other useful information, says people who live in colder climates are more acclimated to walking on icy surfaces because they have learned to walk like a penguin.

To walk like a penguin, do the following:

Bend slightly and walk flat footed
Keep your center of gravity over your feet as much as possible
Point your feet out slightly – well, like a penguin
Shuffle your feet and take short steps
Watch where you are stepping
Concentrate on keeping your balance
Keep your arms at your sides and hands out of your pockets
Go slow
The Farmer’s Almanac also recommends treating your feet by having good winter boots with a large tread or you can wear ice cleats that attach to your shoes and provides gripping power on ice.
I have wiped out completely, ended up flat on my back in less than a second, on ice several times. The only thing that saved me was I literally bounced on my butt.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Why not just walk somewhere else when it's icy? (not being snarky, serious question)

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman »

In some winters our horse paddock looks like this.
I have an old pair of walking boots where I put very small screws into the sole. It worked fine the few times I needed them.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

They sell things like these around here in the stores that cater to people that work outdoors. Dunno if they'd work for your application, but seems like something they could be DIY'd pretty readily. It would require some robust, hard soles to not be pretty uncomfortable for walking miles. Fine for clearing a sloped driveway or something though.

https://www.amazon.com/ice-chains-boots ... +for+boots

I tend to agree with 7Wb5 though, arguably not worth a concussion or fracture. I'm getting timid in my frail old age, haha. I tend to look for unimproved trails and slog through the snow when I just have to get out and stretch my legs in the winter.

basuragomi

Post by basuragomi »

I've used my one pair of Yaktrax for ten years now. They're on from first lasting snow until the sidewalks are clear of ice (~3 months here). They need occasional repair but work well and don't chew up concrete/tile as much as stud-type slip-ons. They slide like crazy on polished tile though.

If I lost my pair I'd immediately replace it. I've seen so many people get concussions or broken bones from ice injuries that were completely avoidable, I can't imagine taking that risk anymore for a simple walk.

The bottom webbing wears out and can be replaced by pretty much anything that's rust-resistant, since a) it's only the outer ring's elasticity that holds everything in place and b) the steel spirals provide most of the structure and wear-resistance to the webbing. I've been using braided fishing line.

The spirals are pretty much just cheap steel (not even spring steel) and rust out when they're not otherwise worn down - I replace these with steel wire scavenged from spiral-bound binders, baling wire, wire fencing, whatever. Just grab each end with vicegrips and wrap them around a screwdriver shaft.

You could probably DIY a pair. The most important parts would be the outer elastic ring and the toe cap. Maybe you could cobble exercise bands/rubber hose/rubber bands together or scavenge ski boot fittings for that.

J_

Post by J_ »

I use the Limm Crampons Ice Traction Cleats - Lightweight Traction Cleats for Walking on Snow & Ice - Anti Slip Shoe Grips Quickly & Easily Over Footwear - Portable Ice Grippers for Shoes & Boots, shown on the link of IlliniDave. And I have a plastic bag in my backpack if I want to remove them as I walk on non slippery paths. It takes some effort to put them on with your shoes already on your feet. I am afraid they will not last hundred of miles...But I use them for six years now. I meet seldom a very long stretch (more than eg two hours walk) with such slippery conditions.

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

jennypenny wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:16 am
Why not just walk somewhere else when it's icy? (not being snarky, serious question)
This is my general approach. I walk a lot in the winter on ice, but try to focus on areas or trails that get a lot of southern exposure. I have a pair of work boots that I feel pretty comfortable with on ice and have never used my crampons for local walks. Hills and slopes tend to give me the biggest problem. DW used YakTraks for a year or two while commuting by foot, but they broke pretty quickly. Basically, I know my own comfort levels and avoid the days when walking is particularly sketchy.

I have a strategic approach to walking and hiking. My house is the center of a concentric circle which shrinks and expands with the changing seasons. In the winter I stay close to home and walk through neighborhoods or on local trails. In the spring and fall I utilize the regional and state parks. In the summer I expand out towards larger state parks, national forests, and national parks with alpine environments that are only open for a few months per year. This strategy allows me to experience a lot of different natural environments and keeps things fresh.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Try to "skate" on your shoes. That's what i do, and it works.
It's only a problem if someone who can't do it is Trying to walk by you.

Married2aSwabian

Post by Married2aSwabian »

Thanks for starting this string - great idea.

DW and i have had two pair of Yaktrax each. The pairs we bought for $20 ea on Amazon this year seem more poorly made than last set. Mine had one rubber piece break after about fifth use! I may have tried to stretch them over a bigger pair of boots, but still not too durable. First set lasted about 1-1/2 years. Springs also rust out quickly from salt.

The YouTube video mountainFrugal posted looks good. Something simple with spikes on bottom will work. I may try that next year.

We also have sets of Leki trekking poles, but those are pricey. IMO they’re worth the money, especially if you plan on hiking a lot in slick, hilly terrain. Maybe not the best solution for flat icy paved trail, though.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

I spent most of the day in frustration reading reviews. Most reviews are unfortunately u-shaped which typically indicate a lot of user-errors and a wide-range of (mis)application. My general take-away is that it's another trilemma: (ice, road, durable), pick any two for your footwear :-P The "jobsite"-type were well-loved but not for distance: (cheap, easy, distance).

The typical event routes (so DNS is not a strong option) are usually combination surfaces. So schlepping around a pole or two is probably the easiest option.

borisborisboris

Post by borisborisboris »

I have micro spikes (the branded kind), have had them since 2009 when I lived further north, and they have held up very well. They don't get much use the past ~8 years though because it's not icy enough here, so I can't vouch for durability with daily winter use. I mostly use them on hiking vacations.

Quick review of micro spikes:
*They would be amazing for the trail you put in the picture. After sliding around on a mess like that, you put them on and feel like a superhero. We once climbed a steep icy trail for 5 miles in Rocky Mountain NP, with oversized toddler strapped to my back. Would have been completely impassable without them. Complete game-changer for winter hiking.
*I would definitely not use them on asphalt or concrete. But with practice, they are not hard to slip on and off. You might need to find a log to sit on the first few times, but you get the hang of it and then it's quick. If your neighborhood has patchy sidewalks (one neighbor shovels, the next one hasn't yet...) then this just sucks and they won't help you.
* They're fine on dirt trails. I wouldn't keep them on for miles, but for a few hundred feet in between ice patches, no need to take them off.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Track shoes/spikes and the old fashioned golf shoes with spikes are very very cheap this time of year. If the neighbors don't have an old pair laying around then the thrift stores will have them for next to nothing.

Or you could do the DIY lawn aerator shoes and kill two birds...

sky

Post by sky »

The pictured conditions are similar to my current daily walk conditions, and back when I was working, my winter commute. I have a pair of Wintertrax, which appear to be an older version of Yaktrax. I don't like to wear them because I feel the need to take them off every time I transition from ice and snow to pavement, for any distance of greater than crossing a street. So I have the Wintertrax but never wear them.

I just do a shuffle, walk slow and try to stay on snow rather than ice. I generally fall once or twice a year. I am only doing one or two miles a day on flat ground. If I were on steep trails with ice, I would get the cleat-thingy type you linked and hope that they are easy to remove. But instead I just use shoes and boots with no additional traction and try to remember to roll and fall in a way to avoid injury (wishful thinking).