Moving to Oaxaca

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
RoamingFrancis

Moving to Oaxaca

Post by RoamingFrancis »

Hi everyone,

I am very interested in moving to Oaxaca, Mexico, living there a couple years, and using it as a home base to explore both Mexico and other parts of Latin America. What would be the best way for an early-twenty-something to move there and be able to support myself?

I already speak fluent Spanish, so that's not an issue. And I imagine that the cost of living would be quite low, being Mexico and all.

I've been quite interested in getting a fitness certification to add to my skillset and income streams, but am not sure what the job market down there is like, or how to navigate any of the immigration stuff. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks!

Best,
RoamingFrancis

theanimal

Re: Moving to Oaxaca

Post by theanimal »

Relevant threads: viewtopic.php?t=11468&start=20

viewtopic.php?p=239960#p239960

I’d recommend reaching out to RealPerson and WesternRedCedar if they don’t chime in here. Also, FRx spent at least a few weeks in Oaxaca this year.

Looking forward to reading about your adventures!

basuragomi

Post by basuragomi »

Last time I was there, most people I talked to worked itinerantly in the USA for the bulk of their income. Even those that were actively working in the state. Up in the mountains the big industries seemed to be subsistence agriculture, artisanal mining and ecotourism. There's a handful of cash crops like coffee and chocolate.

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

RoamingFrancis wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:14 am
I am very interested in moving to Oaxaca, Mexico, living there a couple years, and using it as a home base to explore both Mexico and other parts of Latin America. What would be the best way for an early-twenty-something to move there and be able to support myself?
If I was in your shoes I wouldn't even worry about immigration policies or long-term residency at this point. Mexico has such a flexible visa policy for US citizens (six months free and renewed when you leave and return) that you could go down there, connect with some expats and locals, and figure things out while you are there.

I think the best option for supporting yourself is probably through some online income generation. You have a lot of geographic flexibility, you are earning wages in a stronger currency, and you aren't competing with locals for jobs.

I know some travelers pick up random jobs locally as well though. I was recently asking one of DW's friends about this who worked as a bartender in Antigua, Guatemala. She told me she worked under the table, didn't earn very much and occasionally had to leave out the back door when officials came through. I'm sure you could find opportunities with your language skills in both Oaxaca and on the coast.

One option that would fit in well with your interests and skillsets is finding a good organization to volunteer with that would provide food and accommodation. If you have a small stash, maybe 5-10K, you cold probably live for next to nothing but still have the flexibility to move around or transition to new opportunities.

----

I listened to a podcast with this couple from Portland who moved to Merida with almost no money and made the transition to digital nomads. They have some information about their volunteer experiences and link to a podcast that might be worth checking out if you are open to the volunteer idea. They also talk about the process of buying property and getting residency:

https://nativenomadlife.com/about-us/

RealPerson

Post by RealPerson »

Thumbs up for the choice of Oaxaca. It is a nice city in a beautiful state, with a very moderate cost of living. You really do not need much to live there, and the climate eliminates the need for much heating or cooling, greatly reducing your energy needs and cost of electricity. And it offers a fantastic cuisine, known to be the best in Mexico. In terms of location you probably cannot do much better.

I have no experience with work in Mexico, but I can share what I have heard. The salaries in Mexico are much much lower than in the US. Also, obtaining a work permit is not easy. Temporary or permanent residency is much easier to obtain, but it does not come with a work permit. You can work illegally, but Mexico has no mercy when it comes to repatriating illegals. Yes, they consider us illegals when we live or work illegally in Mexico. If you are caught, you are sent to a detention center in Mexico City and deported to your country of citizenship. You have to decide if it is worth the risk, but keep in mind that the Mexicans themselves need the jobs far more than we do. None of this applies to digital nomads, and you get paid in hard currency instead of pesos. Hence the appeal of digital remote work.

Obtaining a residency permit is optimal, but the ins and outs of that are beyond the scope of this post. You can just reside in Mexico with a tourist visa and make a border run to renew. Many do it. From Oaxaca it is far to the Guatemalan border (15 hours or so by car IIRC). You probably want to make it part of your vacation to Lake Atitlan or Antigua. Or visit the family in the US.

All the best with the move. Feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions.