Avalok's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
guitarplayer

Re: Avalok's Journal

Post by guitarplayer »

I got inspired by your post so yesterday DW and I tallied up the figures and we’re gonna wrap up ours as well this summer, thanks!

avalok

Post by avalok »

That's amazing! IIRC, you've been there a year this summer, and I believe you initially thought it might take longer than that before paying it off. We will have done it in four years; one year is mad haha!

Anyway, that's super cool. Will keep an eye out for the update to say you've done it :)

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

Yep that's it. Mostly, for a long time I had thought that LISA was too good to pass on so we started building that a few years back and ended up with £10k of govt bonus on top of £40k deposit, then took a mortgage to use it. I think we will pay under £5k total for interest+other fees so it will have worked out how I intended.

In hindsight, we could have bought a place a few years back like you did and ride the property appreciation wave but well, the benefit of hindsight. Equally, purely monetarily we could have changed jobs to something more like we do now already a few years ago. But then again money is just small (if significant) part of it.

I like to think that hopefully I get at least some of the things not totally wrong. And I will definitely be very happy to have no debt again and see a cash inflow like never before!