the society for judgment and decision making

Your favorite books and links
Alphaville

the society for judgment and decision making

Post by Alphaville »

i haven’t checked if this has been discussed previously here, but reading taleb, he mentions being a member of the society for judgment and decision making (founded after kahneman/tversky and other scientists pursuing similar lines of inquiry).

turns out they have a free & open access journal:

http://journal.sjdm.org/

here’s a timely, sensational headline to lure you:

“strategic thinking and behavior during a pandemic”

http://journal.sjdm.org/20/200421/jdm200421.pdf

all published under creative commons license, so feel free to dive in.

lots of case studies and experiments in all manner of contexts, so don’t get stuck on the covid stuff. e.g., found a paper about mushroom hunting heuristics i linked in another thread. have not perused all volumes, but seems promising.

7Wannabe5

Re: the society for judgment and decision making

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Interesting. I am currently attempting to apply some of the strategies recommended in “Decisive” by the Heaths (which I believe you mentioned elsewhere) to my own lifestyle moving forward.

Alphaville

Re: the society for judgment and decision making

Post by Alphaville »

yeah the heaths reviewed a ton of scientific literature and case studies on decision making and wrote an amazing and endlessly useful book.

the journal i think offers potential updates to the literature, plus also follow ups to kahneman etc.

for example, the mushroom article talks about how, while we think of heuristics as “bad” for statistics after kahneman/tversky, they function well within a community engaged in a potentially deadly hobby in which “All mushrooms are edible — but some only once.” :mrgreen: