What to say at work when you retire?

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
liberty

What to say at work when you retire?

Post by liberty »

Retiring very soon. What should I say at work, to management and colleagues? Just that I'm retiring, and the whole 30x yearly expenses thing? Or that I will take a mini-retirement? Or that I'm starting my own business? (All of these are kind of true).

Any experiences? If you told the retirement/FI thing, how were the reactions?

Alphaville

Re: What to say at work when you retire?

Post by Alphaville »

“So long, and thanks for all the fish.”

rube

Post by rube »

Hmm, a few of my closest colleagues know about my plans. To most I probably will just say "kind of a sabbatical, lots of things to do at our new house and I'll see what time brings me" which is kind of true.
If questions come up might be like yeah, saved some money / DW is still working.
Or, if seriously interested but probably very limited number or none at all, maybe tell them some more, 30 x, investment/rentals. But very much depending who it is and how it goes.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Seriously I wouldn’t tell people I have money because then they might start asking for loans, donations to various causes, offering me “great investment opportunities,” etc. etc.

Just play it cool.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I've done it a couple of times. In reality most won't care but if you need to say anything at all, go with whatever is true and relatable to the salaryman framework. In this case "starting a business" will work. The other ones come with a strong potential of misunderstandings or having to explain yourself to someone whose continued happiness at work and in life is contingent on them not understanding what you're trying to tell them. H/T Upton Sinclair.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

"I'll take some time off then I'll see how it goes"

General, noncommittal, doesn't make you stand out, doesn't express an implicit judgment on their lifestyle, won't make you feel like a shmuck if you have to return to work with your tail between your legs. I second what Aplhavile has said: don't make yourself a target, either for exploitation or for criticism. Thus I second Jacob's opinion to keep within the bounds of the script; I'd personally go even vaguer.

liberty

Post by liberty »

Yeah, I think it's good to keep it to something the salaryman can relate to. Better to stay "normal" (and boring) in corporate.

@ertyu But "take time off and see how it goes" sounds lazy and kinda implies that you don't want to grow, and maybe even implies that you don't like the current job?

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

liberty wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 3:19 pm
@ertyu But "take time off and see how it goes" sounds lazy and kinda implies that you don't want to grow, and maybe even implies that you don't like the current job?
rofl you just nailed my entire work self: lazy, don't want to "grow," certainly not that way, and no, I don't like the current job.

But that's exactly it: people love looking down on other people. The moment they hear me say this, they'll feel superior to me. Thus there will be no further investigation into my affairs, no envy, and no discussions behind my back.

liberty

Post by liberty »

I don't like my job either, but I play the corporate game and act like I like it and wanna "grow" and so on ;) Just wanna get a good reference. I don't think I will have to work in corporate again, but maybe the reference letter can be useful in some other places, for example in business.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

then just say you’re going to start a business and they’ll look at you like a swashbuckling entrepreneur

sky

Post by sky »

I'm taking a break to look for other opportunities.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Goodbye, remember me fondly.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

“Can’t tell you now yet, you’ll see it on my LinkedIn in a couple months *wink”

This way they’ll assume you’re leaving to go take another job, and then they will forget.
Never update your LinkedIn after that.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

I haven't retired yet but I can't imagine doing much besides telling it straight up to the limits of what their business is. I plan to separate as a retiree so can't really hide that with the company. My colleagues all pretty much know what's up with me and ER anyway. For the most part we all save money and invest, so that I have a stash as a backstop is less of a shocker than it would be if I didn't.

Caveat is that I'm in an age cohort where retirement, while not common, is not shocking.

The point jacob made above is a good one. In reality, not many people will care all that much. I'd suggest being as honest as you can without being offensive or disclosing more of your personal business than you care to.

The standard phrase: " ... to pursue other interests," should be fine talking to management and HR. If you want to tell specific colleagues/friends more, shouldn't be a problem, but there's no need.

Good luck.

Jason

Post by Jason »

Can I have your girlfriend's cell phone number?

Frita

Post by Frita »

“Why do you ask?” is a nice question to respond to many things. Often people just ask because it’s the social convention rather than really caring or wanting an answer. This gives them a chance to talk some more, most likely forgetting their question as the goal wasn’t an answer anyway, or to understand what the real question is.

Another thought is to say, “Give me a call and we can chat over coffee.” This works well with gossipy and/or whiny types. (99.9% of the time you’ll never hear from them again.)

liberty

Post by liberty »

@IlliniDave I see. I'm 33 so then retirement would sound more crazy, and crazyness has no place in a corporate environment.

@Seppia I don't have linked in.

@Frita “Why do you ask?” sounds so rude (at least here in Norway). "Give me a call" is a good suggestion though.

@bigato I don't have social media. I think to not tell anything, or tell very little, is problematic as they might be afraid that I go to (or start) a competing company.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

A friend of mine quit to backpack for 3 months. The plan was to backpack, then when she is done, go back and maybe look for another job at that point. If you did not want to attract attention to retiring, you could just say you'd always wanted to travel, you saved up some money, you'll see where the money gets you and then you'll come back and look for something else. Oh, and you'll be away from social media 'cause digital detox, you know :lol:

liberty

Post by liberty »

@ertyu Travel is a nice one. That was what I said last time I quit (or tried to quit, I got golden handcuffs on). Now corona makes that hard, at least before august or so.

nomadscientist

Post by nomadscientist »

Agreed, you really do not need to say anything.

What do you want from these people in the future? To never see them again? Well...

If you want to possibly go back (even if just as a catastrophe insurance plan, hoping to never use it) then best to tailor an answer that implies you'll retain your skills and interest in the profession, while probably going on to bigger and better things (but not too much bigger or better...). Without telling a specific lie of course.