What's so great about a Long Haul Trucker?

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
rachels

Post by rachels »

JM and I are going moving to the Pacific NW this summer. We're going to bike tour from Vancouver to Northern CA looking for a new boat and a new home on the coast. I'm coming out with my 65L pack and my Burly Nomad bike trailer. I'm planning on buying a bike once we arrive.
The question is, does anyone really think that it's worth it to buy a $1000+ touring bike? I have three friends who shelled out $1000+ for a Surly LHT. If I'm touring with a trailer rather than panniers, does it really matter if I just buy a cheap hybrid/MTB? I'd like fenders, good lighting, a good range of gearing, 26" slick tires, and disc brakes if I can get them, but I'm not going to pay more than $400.
I'm a pedicabber and used to riding with 150-900 lbs behind me for 6-15 hours at a time on a $300 MTB. I can't see why I need a more expensive bike to pull 50lbs worth of stuff.
Anyone else have any input on cheap-o bike touring? Touring equipment you couldn't live without? Own a Long Haul Trucker and want to tell me why it's better than sex?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

No, if you are pulling it does not matter.
The LHT (and touring bikes) have a longer wheelbase, which makes it easier to go straight. A shorter wheelbase means that it's more responsive/twitchy which is great if you're racing, but not if you're maneuvering your own weight + 60 pounds of stuff all day.
Touring bikes also have all the brazeons for mounting fenders, etc.
What I've done is to buy a Trek830. This is an early 90s MTB from back when mountain biking still meant "touring on trails", so it has the right geometry for loaded touring, all the mounts, and it was $145 on craigs. (If you're a more normal size, you can get it for less.)

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

BTW, also look for the Trek520. You might get lucky and score a used one for under $500. Also Cannondale T models.
For MTB conversions, consider Trek830, Diamondback Ascent EX, Giant Yukon, Specialized Stumpjumpers, Cannondale Killer V.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

I considered pulling for a while and looked into it. Apparently, one-wheel trailers like the BOB Yak (which can be had used for $150 on a regular basis) are much favored. The only downsides are "going uphill", "loading the trailer", and "taking bike AND trailer with you on trains/planes/buses".

Freedom_2018

Post by Freedom_2018 »

I just made a random search on ebay..looks like there is a Long Haul Trucker bidding so far under $400: http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_trkparms=6 ... p=15&_sc=1
Though from your description of hauling 900 lbs on a MTB..doesn't really sound that you need a steel frame Surly...have to say though that if you are planing to bike the Coastal route (route 1)..there are quite a few hills and slopes so maybe the better gearing ratio on a LHT type bike might help versus a Walmart MTB.
But then I only ride a Trek Madone which weighs all of 17 lbs and the only thing it can haul is my butt. I like it quite a bit since it gets me out and riding some...but at some point I am contemplating getting something like a used LHT so that I can indulge in my desire of biking across the US (that also needs like 3 months of time and how I am going to be able to manage that being a full time working stiff is another issue)
I think sex gets used as an unfair benchmark for everything ;-)

S

Post by S »

I've been wondering the same thing! I'm doing a short tour from Chicago to Detroit two weeks from now. I'm riding my road bike which is completely lacking in any sort of braze-ons and has twitchy race geometry. I got a clip-on rack, so I'll be carrying very minimal gear (<20lbs), but I think it'll be ok for just a few days. I'll re-evaluate my desire for a specialized touring bike after the trip. I have done a lot of hilly hauling (groceries, bags of potting soil, wood chips, etc) around town on a city bike / cruiser and found the experience pleasant enough for a bike that's $400 new (http://www.schwinnbikes.com/bikes/cruis ... -spd-13038), but I never rode the bike more than 15 miles in a row.

CityGirl

Post by CityGirl »

Anyone familiar with Bader Meinoff? I read this post yesterday and learned, for the first time, what a Long Haul Trucker was. Then on train ride home I guy gets on with his...yep, Long Haul Trucker! Nice looking ride. After sizing him up I decided he was not ERE though - too many fancy accoutraments (sp??) and his bike looked new off the rack. Anyways, thought it was funny. Love this site. Love my Trek. Love the thought of spending my time biking, cooking, knitting and yoga-ing. :) Peace out.

rachels

Post by rachels »

@jacob: I bought the trailer for several reasons. I like the 2-wheeled Nomad because it's easy to wheel around off the bike. I'll lock my bike up at the store, then push my trailer around by it's curved hauling arm like a cart. It keeps me from having to pack whatever I want to haul to take it outside and unpack it. It's also easy to just pull a pin and take the trailer with me than wonder if my things will get stolen outside. I assume that a one-wheeled BOB would be a harder to push around. From the look of some pannier setups, I think they must just get left outside. They also wouldn't be any good for everyday jobs, like taking home useful, bulky things from the curb or boxes of dumpster food.
Secondly, something about a big yellow trailer with a flag seems to tell motorists, "No, you will not just squeeze by me." The trailer is offset to the left slightly, and sticks out maybe a little more than my left handlebar. No one ever blows by me with a hair of clearance between mirror and handlebar. Drivers are much more likely to give me an unnecessary amount of room (like an entire lane if I'm on a shoulder.)
@bigato: I may carry a second hitch, but I'm not too worried about the frame and wheels. I dunno if I buy the single speed to prevent on-the-road failures argument. If I tear my rear derailleur off (done it), I just need a chain tool limp to civilization on a single gear. Of all my time on a bike that's been my only shifting failure requiring a part (other than replacing cables during routine maintenance). The new derailleur hanger was $15 and worth every penny uphill. Maybe I'm just lazy.
@Freedom 2018: A LHT frame alone costs $400-500. I'll be amazed if it doesn't go up.

SF

Post by SF »

LHT - as Jacob said, longer wheelbase and braze-ons. The geometry is different even than an 800 series Trek MTB. It feels like there is more length to spread out on, to duck out of the wind without feeling like your knees are up in your chest. And when you're sitting, more weight is spread to your hands, which is good when you're sitting on a narrow seat for hours at a time.
Speaking of this, the LHT also has drop bars. For treking, the number of positions you get from drop bars can't be underestimated, at least for flat cycling. If you're not standing much during long pedicab rides, you might notice that your hands get numb. This can be a real problem for treking.
I'd only seriously consider single speed on a long if there were no hills, no dirt roads, or you don't mind walking. I've also had no serious problems with a derailleur, even bashed/bent by rocks and coated with mud. On the road I've never had an issue (knock on wood). Yeah, it's more parts to fail, but the MTBF is low and the reward is great.
Now you might complain that adjusting and maintaining a derailleur is annoying. I think it's worth the cost though.

SF

Post by SF »

Regarding trailers - I do prefer to go light, no trailer.
But if you need to bring lots of stuff, trailers are the way to go for heavy loads. It really gets the weight down low and your bike won't feel like slug as you shift weight around. I'm not sure how if you'd have observed this difference with a pedicab, as it seems like they behave more like a trike. (Never ridden one though.)

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

As others have said, the distinguishing features of a touring bike, such as the LHT, are
- long wheelbase - relaxed posture and steering response

- braze-ons to securely mount racks and fenders

- frame is designed with heavy loads in mind

- drop handles

- road tires
None of those features are really *essential* for long distance travel, but each makes it a little more convenient. Personally, if I'm doing something many hours/day, I really want the tools to be just right.
Also the drivetrain on the LHT is Tiagra/XT which ought to be more reliable than what you'd find on a $300 bike.