Climate Change: Fact, Fiction, Something in Between?

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
Dragline

Re: Climate Change: Fact, Fiction, Something in Between?

Post by Dragline »

Tyler9000 wrote:Scientists balk at ‘hottest year’ claims

http://www.climatedepot.com/2015/01/16/ ... continues/
Ooh, they sound upset. But what i get from that is he would be satisfied if it said "statistically tied for the hottest year". Well alrighty then!

Then they say they prefer to monitor the temperature in the upper atmosphere than near the ground. I was looking for how they plan to move us there on the website, but couldn't find it. There was some stuff about the Pope, though.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@Tyler9000 - Dude! After all these posts, I can't believe you guys are still falling for this ...

For future reference:

viewtopic.php?p=82622#p82622

First, white-coating.

None of the people who are quoted in your link are climate scientists. Sure, they got degrees in biology, geology, physics, or political science, but none of them have PhDs in climate science. (Verify by googling their name.)

Second, moving the goal posts.

While they acknowledge the record, the claim is now that it's an insignificant record. Previously the claim was that 1998 was the hottest year (and those who have bothered to look at the graph know that 1998 was an outlier driven by El Nino ... there's no El Nino this year) and seeing that 2014 was hotter, the claim is now that it wasn't sufficiently hot enough.

Third, red herring.

What matters is not setting records but trend lines. Again, this is obvious to anyone who has looked at the temperature graph. They're relying on the public being too lazy to look at it or too dumb to draw a line through the data points. Mostly too lazy I suspect, because drawing a line is so easy a fifth grader could do it. What this new record does is to destroy the [false] denialist claim that the trend line was negative (by showing that even using their own data manipulation, e.g. cherry-picking peak years and looking at short term times cales, their claim is now invalid).

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/produc ... n_wld.html

Fourth, second red herring.

There are some references to satellite measurements of specific layers in the atmosphere which haven't set a record. Yeah, so now the record is important again. How about some consistency? In any case, what's important is the total energy content of the climate system from which the global average temperature is a good indicator. Not some specific component of those temperatures. Again, they're relying on people being too ignorant to spot this.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

To be fair, this link isn't so much a single coherent argument about climate as much as an aggregation of opinions of climate scientists who take issue with the "hottest year on record" claim in the press today. They probably disagree with each other on various details of their dissents and how they relate to climate change overall. I just find it interesting that various climate scientists interpret data differently than popularly reported. I have no desire to debate specifics. I just wanted to add some other viewpoints to the mix.

FWIW, the claim that none of the people cited have PhDs in climatology is factually untrue.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

First, it's no more interesting or relevant than if you quote me (PhD Physics) as an expert on biology or political science. If you want to quote experts to make the case, you should ensure that they are actual experts in what they are talking about.

Here's what I found in terms of credentials:
Marc Morano - BA Political Science
David Whitehouse - PhD Astrophysics
Roy Spencer - PhD Meterology
Pat Michaels - Masters (S.M.) Biology, PhD Ecological Climatology(*)
Lubos Motl - PhD Physics
Roger Pielke Sr - BA Mathematics, PhD Meteorology
Judith Curry - BS Geography, PhD Geoscience

(*) Awarded by a special interdisciplinary committee for a thesis titled "Atmospheric Anomalies and Crop Yields in North America".

Can you actually show me a link to any of these people that references any degree of theirs in climate science? If so, how many of them?

Second, I can't believe that you don't see how transparent their arguments are in terms of grasping at straws to save the "no warming since 1998" claim. Forsooth, the best they can come up with is that "2014" is not hotter than "1998" within the statistical uncertainty?! Seriously? Did you look at the graph?

The people you quoted are essentially maintaining that the dots between 1998 and 2014 are not trending upwards BECAUSE it's not statistically significant that the very last dot (2014) on the trend line is higher than the 1998 dot which is clearly outside the trend line. Whereas any high school student who is capable of fitting a line can clearly see otherwise. It's ridiculous.

Or maybe it's this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnT2FcuZaYI ... if otherwise educated people can deny the evidence of even their own eyes because of social pressures, then maybe that's it?

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

You missed Pat Michaels' Ph.D. in ecological climatology from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. (Edit -- looks like you caught it, but then qualified/discredited it). Maybe that doesn't count, either. Whatever. I truly respect your knowledge on the subject, Jacob, but by your standard your credentials on this are no higher than those that you dismiss out of hand.

This clearly matters a great deal to you. I didn't intend to be provocative and wasn't trying to start an argument. I'll let it go.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Crap. We found it at the same time. I missed it because it didn't come from a specific department but an interdisciplinary one. Still, that PhD is quite tangential to the question at hand here. I'll give it half a point. In other words at most one out of the seven people quoted as "climate scientists" actually have any related credentials.

The difference between me/my credentials and your "climate scientists balk..." is that I make no claim to being a climatologist nor do I say that anyone should listen to me because I'm a PhD expert climate scientist. I'm NOT white-coating myself. In particular, I'm NOT offering up my supposedly scientific disagreement [with real experts] as a climate scientist. Nor do I offer my scientific agreement as a climate scientist. When I explain things, I don't say you should believe it because I have a PhD in physics but because you should follow the logical deductions yourself. However because my dissertation was very related, I am able to explain/understand the science in much more detail than (so far) any one else has demonstrated here. However, that does not mean that I can or will pass myself off as a climate science expert or that others have referenced to me as such. And if anyone starts quoting me as such I'll ask them to cease and desist. It would contradict my doctorate oath.

Now, I have repeatedly asked or even insisted that people go and look at the science [itself] in detail. It speaks for itself. I have also provided multiple sources. I know of a few former skeptics here who actually did go and study it. They are no longer skeptics. The science is undeniable when actually taking the time to understand it. It's somewhat sad to me that not everybody [who expresses doubt or "skepticism"] has done this because that is what skepticism is about. Looking at the evidence(!!!!!)

I'm particular disheartened by the continued denialist(*) posts. After proudly claiming that the ERE forum comprises some of the smartest people on the internet, it's jarring to see someone insisting that e.g. the Planck's Law (a fundamental result of modern physics) is a lie. That's about as dumb [to any first year science student anyway] as claiming that Newton's laws are lies but unfortunately not everybody is at the freshman science level. I now make this claim [of the smartest people on the internet] with some caveats :-(

(*)The difference between skeptics and denialists (which as I found out is a technical term, so I will use those from now on) is that the former will actually consider evidence that runs contrary to their position and revise their position if the evidence shows them to be wrong, like normal reasonable grown-ups. Conversely, denialists will ignore the evidence whenever it's convenient and repeat their assertions often without backing them up.

When denialism contradicts established scientific fact or tries to divert attention from scientific fact (red herrings), it's misinformation. Misinformation is dangerous because it hurts people. It is therefore provocative. Mainly because I actually give a shit about people here. The problem is that apparently only a minority is capable(**) of not being fooled by the standard set of informal fallacies that makes up the denialist's tool bag. If everybody knew the scientific basis and if everybody was familiar with black hat graph manipulation, it would be funny... like the scientific analogy of watching slapstick comedy. Like watch this silly manipulation, he didn't include half the data in order to change his conclusion, funny huh?

(**) Pardon the phrasing here. I don't mean to be arrogant or imply that "I'm so smart and everybody else is so dumb". It's just that the problem is that spotting this stuff is part of the base training of a scientists. In particular, it's the kind of stuff we [scientists] all try very very hard to AVOID. Thus we become hypersensitive towards catching ourselves making these kind of mistakes. So now we see the denial engine continuously making these "mistakes" thus confusing other people. That's hard to take. I'd imagine it's like being a medical doctor and watching another MD using their skill to try to make other people sick (after all who knows better?). This "training" does not come easy and it's not natural but it's there. This is why this is very easy for scientists and very hard for almost everybody else who haven't deliberately tried practicing it. It's not unlike how a slapshot is very easy to a pro NHL player while being practically impossible to a layman and yet not that hard for an amateur hockey player. I guess I had hoped that everybody expressing doubts about slapshots would have picked up a hockey stick and practiced a bit rather than insisting that slapshots are impossible because they don't make sense. So far only a few have metaphorically done so but they can perform a slapshot now.

I started a recent thread on the Fundamentals of Stupidityviewtopic.php?f=20&t=5824. I know we disagreed on that but I found it helpful for this thread.

1) People who read misinformation, believe in it, and keep it to themselves. They hurt themselves and are therefore "helpless".
2) People who read misinformation, believe in it, and spread it to others. They hurt themselves and others and are therefore "stupid".
3) People who benefit by deliberately spreading misinformation to others. They help themselves and hurt others and are therefore "bandits".

(Again, I'm looking at the pragmatic action from my perspective ... which would be the scientific perspective. If anyone doesn't "believe in science" (and I know these people exist), I can only say "God help you", figuratively and literally. You're asking for a miracle. Also, I don't mean this as some kind of personal judgement but rather a way of seeing a certain behavior within a certain context, specifically climate change.)

Thankfully, I do not think we have any "bandits" in this thread, but unfortunately we do have a fair amount of "stupid" posts and also some "helpless" ones.

Now one of the rules of stupidity is that "you can't fix stupid" and that one should therefore avoid it at all times. I've kinda accepted that. However, I think it's still important to help the "helpless". People who don't have the scientific background. People who don't know what a CO2 absorption spectrum is or how to look it up. People who are easily fooled by manipulated graphs. People who don't see the entire physical picture and don't know what they might miss (believe in crackpot explanations). In particular, I've received PMs that this "debate" has been helpful from people who otherwise don't comment, so I keep participating even though I really think this thread does suck big time.

So this is why this matters to me. Because a "helpless" person might easily decide that "there's still a debate and scientists don't really know anything" and then after accumulating their 3% SWR, they'll go and screw up their ERE/FIRE by buying a condo on the Boston/Houston water front or farmland in state X or timberland in state Y. Everything looks great now but then in 2050 their condo walls are knocked in by a storm surge, or alternatively and possibly more likely, in 2025 everybody finally gets it and water front RE drops like a rock. There are many more quite predictable impacts than this example.

It would be totally irresponsible of me (and you guys) to ignore or spread doubt or uncertainty about forecasts that are very well known. Indeed, it's one of those "unknown knowns", that is "something you don't know but which others do". That kind of ignorance, in my book, is inexcusable when the subject both has a high personal impact/risk factor and influence how your actions/choices influence the rest of the world e.g. voting and politics.

In particular ... yes, when anyone deliberately seeks to increase other people---"my people"---'s ignorance I feel compelled to counter it by showing how they're being manipulated.

Like if someone kept insisting that smoking doesn't cause lung cancer, that HIV doesn't cause AIDS, or that obesity doesn't increase your risk of diabetes. It's just bloody irresponsible to say this when practically all the experts say otherwise. It could of course be a deliberate trade off. Many people like cookies and sedentary comfort so much that they don't mind the high risk of being on meds starting at age 45-60. However, if people are helpless and being misinformed, it's NOT a deliberate trade off. It's simply evil.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

BTW, since I'm sick and tired of this thread, I'm locking it down now.

If anyone feels like we haven't said everything there is to say about the subject of this thread already then feel free to start a new one.