A Teen's Intro into ERE

Where are you and where are you going?
Venom

Re: A Teen's Intro into ERE

Post by Venom »

I have my Associate's! I'm halfway through college and I'm well on my way to to graduating college with more money than to begin with. I realize that I'm extremely fortunate in this manner. I get full FAFSA, KEES money, and a Pell grant. I know some of my friends with middle-income parents can't do this. They simply can't get full FAFSA. I feel they have it the worst in the sense that they will accrue the most amount of debt.

My funds are as follows(I don't obsessively check the dollar amounts so this could be off by about $100):

[*]Savings: ~$1,000
[*]CD: ~$1,500
[*]Checking: $3,600
[*]FAFSA Refund: ~$1,300

My FAFSA refund will be going into my checkings. My checking account actually has an interest rate of about 0.05%. I get paid around 50 cents a month because of it :lol: .

My goals and aspirations for my career has changed so much since I first started this journal. I'm not going into engineering. It would be too much time and money as my Associate's doesn't transfer a lot of credits. Instead I'm doing a 2+2 transfer to a State University. It's a Bachelor's in Technology Management. No, not Information Technology Management. The classes are easy enough and some of the assigned reading is where I learn the most, not so much the quizzes and tests. I hope by having the privilege of being able to save in college I will be able to move to a more populated city to pursue web development. For the best 6 months I've been learning HTML/CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, and starting Ruby. The first two months I went from tutorial to tutorial learning Python, but I just was getting stuck learning about classes and instances. By the completion of Bachelor's I'll have the Bachelor's plus two years of web development experience. I may have to work in a factory after school to save up the money to move, but I'll take that as it comes. I'm thinking of moving to Philadelphia because: a) High walk score b) Good public transit c) Web Dev jobs and meetups.

I still have a back injury that I'm actively trying to improve. Standing desk + McGill excercises have been reducing my pain levels. I've been at pain levels of zero but I stopped McGill exercises and increased my time sitting, which led to a recurrence of back pain.

JamesR

Re: A Teen's Intro into ERE

Post by JamesR »

You could consider trying the bridge exercise, it can resolve some back pain and strengthen the spinal cord (disclaimer - read up on it first). Maybe get into some gymnastic type exercises as that can result in a stronger spine/core muscles compared to standard weight lifting. http://www.warriorwomen.co.uk/wp-conten ... 194313.jpg

BTW, about the credentials, I have a friend in Alberta that wasn't the kind of guy that did well in school. He had dropped out then ended up getting his GED, and then did a 2 year program in Civil Engineering Technologist and then an additional 2 years for Petroleum Engineering Technology. These weren't university-level degrees so he can't get the P.Eng. license. However, because oil-industry is huge in Alberta, he was able to end up earning six-figures after 3-4 years (after a couple of smart moves between companies). Just thought that story might be inspirational or give you ideas ;)