Polyamory Support Group

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Henry

Re: Polyamory Support Group

Post by Henry »

Jin+Guice wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 10:27 am
Great news everyone! I'm single again.
Joshua Bowling has been in the news because he married a siamese twin. As a self-attesting polyamorous person, I have the following questions:

(1) What are thoughts on this relationship?
(2) Is it in fact a polyamorous relationship?
(3) If #2 is a no, would you date a polyamorous siamese twin;
(3) If #2 is a yes, if her sister was also polyamorous would that be even better?
(4) If #3 is a yes, is a pair of polyamorous ERE siamese twins the holy grail of polyamory?

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Since you asked this question on the Polyamory Support thread, my first question would be what do you mean by saying you are "single again" within the context of polyamory? The reason why I ask is that I think there was only maybe one 2 week period in the almost 10 years since I declared my practice polyamorous in which I felt myself to be 100% unpartnered, and that was due to the fact that I had a fit of grouchiness and broke up with two of them simultaneously. Even though my current physiological shape/healthscape is such that I'm de facto celibate, I would say that I still have maybe a total of 3/5ths of a partner if I add up the contributions of men who are still circling. For example, if I needed/wanted ride to colonoscopy, help with installing air conditioner, a loan of money, a hug, some sex, empathetic listening, declaration of affection, I still have it pretty much on tap from one or another of my semi-ex-poly-partners and/or my second ex-"husband." I've actually been rather pleasantly surprised at the extent to which my cuckoo-bananas thought that polyamory was kind of like the Rule of 3 for resilience in permaculture planting choices has been borne out as true.

Also, within the context of the practice of polyamory, I would answer that the only thing I strictly would "need" from a romantic partner would be "romance", and at this phase of my life, my "need" for romance is quite low. I would note that my strict definition of "romance" would define it as something other than simple affection or sexual infatuation. For example, the polypartner whom I lived with for around 3 years off and on, was somebody with whom I had a simple affection boyfriend/girlfriend type relationship that was never very romantic. For example, we would hold hands when walking around in public together, and we had sex, but we were never very passionately engaged. This was in large part due to the fact that he was still very much in love with the woman he had left his marriage to be with who subsequently dumped him, and I was already involved sexually and/or romantically involved with two other poly-partners when I met him. So, our relationship was based on the level of availability we had for each other. IOW, if I had been primarily looking for a "romantic" partner, I would not have chosen to enter into a relationship with somebody who was still passionately attached to an ex, but because I was already in a very "romantic" relationship with another poly-partner who was not available in other ways (because he was married) I had a space available for another partner who was available for simple somebody-to-go-out-with-on-the-weekend boyfriend/male-companionship type role/behaviors.

Anyways, there's one face of "romance" in which it is just the sort of delightful thing that makes life worth living, and in this sense it can be a very healthy deep "want." However, the other face of "romance", as ertyu self-aware explored in his post above, has a whole lot to do with ego gratification and/or ego butt-hurt. I think that eventually age, in both the sense of advanced perspective and experience, can get you to a place where you are both secure in your belief that you are "lovable" no matter what your current relationship status, and also rather philosophically "so what?" to the extent that you currently aren't. IOW, you see "being lovable" as both core truth and choice.

One further note I might make on "romance" with the context of polyamory is that there is usually something very future oriented about "romance." In simplest terms, if/when you are "in love" with somebody, you are also likely engaged in thoughts/plans of a possible future with them. In conventional monogamous relationship context, this could likely involve hopes of furthering the relationship up the usual ladder of importance/commitment. Therefore, a responsible practitioner of polyamory will also take into consideration how the structure of their practice might allow for the possibility of a future for any/all "romantic" relationships vs. the alternative practice of "playing the field" as a conventionally single person. This is especially at issue if you are open to the possibility of monogamous contract. IOW, I consider it to be a bit of a romantic "cheat" to declare yourself polyamorous to your polyamorous partners with whom you are romantically engaged , but also "possibly monogamous" to your monogamy-preferring partners with whom you are romantically engaged.

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice »

@sodatrain: I am on FIREdating. The next closest woman is almost 300 miles away though. I would be willing to travel for the right person, but the people on there don't look like the people for me. I'll for sure let y'all know if I meet anyone from the site though!

I'm also still very fresh out of this break up and not looking for serious relationships right now.

@ertyu:

I get what you are saying and I mostly agree with it. I welcome any perspective so please don't be discouraged from continuing a discussion in this direction. However, your answer is in almost total opposition to the light-hearted romp through possibility I had imagined. The upside of this is I can extract some interesting answers to my question.

Things one could get from a romantic relationship:
1) Finally finding...????
2) Someone to help you hide from yourself
3) Counterpoint:
boygenius wrote: And it feels good to be known so well
I can't hide from you like I hide from myself
I remember who I am when I'm with you
Your love is tough, your love is tried and true blue
4) Self-discovery
5) Uncovering mommy issues (roleplay/ kink gold!!!!)
6) Uncovering daddy issues (roleplay/ kink gold!!!!)
7) Uncovering childhood neglect (roleplay/ kink gold!!!!)
8) Uncovering and inferiority complex (get in the cage!!!!)
9) Impressing other dudes
10) Social status
11) Money
12) Gifts
13) Someone who makes you feel special
14) Someone to distract you from your insecurities
15) Free therapy
16) Grasping at your fading youth
17) Unpacking your problems by observing the problems someone brings out in you

I realize I should answer my own question. Here is my partial list:
1) Sex
2) Dates
3) Romance
4) Someone to get dressed up with and take places
5) Roommate
6) Confidant
7) Emotional intimacy
8) Emotional support
9) Logistical support
10) Someone to sleep next to
11) Makeouts
12) Dance partner
13) Conversation partner
14) Someone to do projects with
15) Attention

@Henry: I'm gonna answer all your questions, so always assuming the answer is what you said it was even though they conflict.

(1) What are thoughts on this relationship?

I'm for it.

(2) Is it in fact a polyamorous relationship?

I don't have enough information to answer this.

(3) If #2 is a no, would you date a polyamorous siamese twin;

Yes.

(3) If #2 is a yes, if her sister was also polyamorous would that be even better?

Yes.

(4) If #3 is a yes, is a pair of polyamorous ERE siamese twins the holy grail of polyamory?

Yes.

ETA:

@7:

I meant need in the therapy sense where a need and a want are pretty blurred and the line is not really that important. I'm also open to possibility, so though you could get a ride to a colonoscopy from a friend, the fact that you sometimes get it from a lover means it's on the list.

I am single again in the sense that I have 0 partners. My last girlfriend and I we were basically monogamous by most non-monogamy/ polyamory definitions, so I wasn't stockpiling much more than possible interest from other people.

I personally practice hierarchical non-monogamy and my preference is to have one main partner, which can end up being very monogamy-esque, though monogamy-esque is not my absolute preference. I would entertain different situations, but this seems to be the current preference of my heart, so I think part of me would always be looking for one person to focus on and other situations would be due to a lack of adequate suitors. This is of course subject to change at any time.

I think by most understandings of the word single I am still currently single. Somewhat in the spirit of the question I am asking, non-monogamy thinking makes this status almost impossible unless you are totally celibate and totally a-romantic since basically any date or flirtation satisfies some romantic need.

Henry

Post by Henry »

I would think there are economic advantages to being in a polyamorous relationship with polyamorous siamese twins even if they are not ERE. But if the polyamorous siamese twins are ERE, I could see some serious compounding. For instance, you are at some polyamorous event and you run into a pair of swinging siamese twins. And you bring up ERE and they say they have never heard of it, but it sounds interesting. So as opposed to non-conjoined twins, they only have to buy one of JLF's books because they are for the most part a perpetual book group. Now it's bad for JLF because he loses a book royalty but considering he's already NY times famous and set for like a hundred lifetimes by now it's really not a big deal for him. But for the siamese twins it's a real savings and a taste of what a future ERE life could mean.

Jean

Post by Jean »

@7w5
you make polyamory sound like either some form of barter prostitution or just plain classic friendship :D

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@Jean:

Yeah, I can see how it might seem like that. One reason for that might be that I'm not a terribly romantic human, and time goes by differently when you get old, so I haven't been "in love" with anybody for around 6 or 7 years now, but that doesn't seem like that long ago when you're my age. I was "in love" with one of my poly-partners for a while, because he made me feel like this:

When you are in love with somebody, then little things which are of no apparent value otherwise gain salience and poignancy. The way he wears his hat...etc. So, I would suggest that there is a clear difference between the needs that you may list or find to be often be fulfilled in "romantic" relationship vs. what you need in order to feel romantic in relationship. Why do we fall in love with one person and not another? Sometimes it seems like we may follow a pattern, but objective studies tend to suggest that we don't. i think it's 80% a matter of priming our own receptivity and then 20% left to chemistry. IOW, when we want to fall in love again, we will generally find our angel, but the devil is in the details.

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice »

FIRE Dating update:

The only person who talked to me ghosted me after I said I found talking about asset allocation boring and wanted to instead talk about what we wanted the freedom to do. This is the most hilarious possible result to me. I swear to god I am not making this up.

Also the closest female to New Orleans on the website is 278 miles away.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

I mean. "So, what seems to be forefront on your mind right now's boring, let's talk about what -I- want to talk about" -- what did you expect???

Frita

Post by Frita »

Hm, @Gin+Juice, FIRE Dating seems like a broad category. Being able to save money, invest, retire, and do some spreadsheets seems like low hanging fruit. Is there some mechanism to screen people out?

OTOH you effectively did that by being honest and suggested a topic that may have been a shared interest. The right person would have appreciated it.

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice »

Lol, @ertyu I agree with you, but I'm not mad at it for the reasons that @Frita said.

@Frita, no one on FIRE Dating is talking to me, so I'm a pretty thirsty heaux for talking to anyone, so not screening at all, but I imagine this will lead to getting ghosted a lot. I have no expectation except entertaining myself and trying to maintain my own personal boundaries and standards for myself (including but not limited to: don't entertain myself at someone else's expense), so I am fine with this result.

I found this one funny because in my real dating life I feel like talking about the stock market/ asset allocation is the absolute worst thing that I could do *and* @7w5 has said she new some dude who "just wanted to take a woman to dinner with whom he could talk stocks with."

This was ultimately a great result for both me and the asset allocation person if our goal is true romance as I could tell you with 15 seconds of looking at her profile that we are not long-term compatible.