Book Club? Anyone? Bueller?

Your favorite books and links
henrik

Re: Book Club? Anyone? Bueller?

Post by henrik »

@jennypenny - the first two of the Postman books on your list are available at my library, I'd be up for either of those.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Future Crimes is on my stand right now.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

I'm up for anything. Fire when ready.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Since I've been called out to join a couple of times I should say that writing book reports is possibly my least favorite writing activity and since the club seems to be of the pay-to-play variety, I'm out.

I can suggest books I think are worth reading (my favorite Postman book is "How to watch the news"), but I already do this in the forum.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I can post a summary/review of Koppel's book and then if someone else ends up reading it, they can comment.

@Chad--do you want to do Future Crimes? I don't think these posts need to be so elaborate. Quick summaries and likes/dislikes should be sufficient.

@Henrik--do you want to pick the Postman book? I'll read whichever you pick first since I plan I reading all of them. I guess I'll add "how to watch the news" to the list now, too.

Are the Postman books all the same? If we all read different Postman books, could it be combined into one discussion? I have no idea, just asking.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

@Dragline-- FYI I'm not trying to take over. I'd just like to see this continue. I'm always looking for new reading material, and I've gotten some good suggestions from forumites.

If we ever do fiction, I'd like to read one of JMG's books.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

jennypenny wrote: Are the Postman books all the same? If we all read different Postman books, could it be combined into one discussion? I have no idea, just asking.
No, they cover different areas. But the thinking seems similar so you could combine. You could also compare and contrast Postman to the works of Illich. He covered much of the same stuff. The next go-to guy would be Jacques Ellul. Ditto. You could do all these three together at the same time and turn it into a phd thesis :)

henrik

Post by henrik »

I got Amusing Ourselves to Death (1987 ed) and The End of Education from the library. Started with the first. I should be done by the time you're finished with Lights Out and Future Crimes:)

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

If I could hop on board, I would recommend "Stuck: Why We Can't (or Won't) Move On" by Anneli Rufus. She is also the author of "Party of One: A Loner's Manifesto" and the co-author of "The Scavenger's Manifesto." Excerpt on the back cover:

"In lands of plenty, in the lap of luxury, we're stuck doing-over and over-things we do not want to do. Stuck in places we do not want to be. Stuck with people we do not want to see...No population, anywhere has ever been so free as we. And yet, somehow we all feel stuck."

It includes chapters on being stuck in the past, the present, on habits, on trauma, on others, and on work. I believe that the author is either an INTJ or an INFJ, and her writing voice might be described as "brilliant and shredding." Highly likely that while reading at least one of her chapters, any person would respond along the lines of "Oh, f*ck. That's me. Stop. Please, stop. Turn off the light. Put down the scalpel. Leave me alone in my comfortable rut, you demon woman." or something like that.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Ok, we won't do anything without organization. We are not doing suggestions for others. Random suggestions are b.s. We are doing leadership for ourselves (our deities, humanity, the cosmos, fill in the blank). As the evil dictator in limbo, I hereby decree that the next four book-tators are:

Jennypenny
Chad
henrik
7Wannabe5

Make selection and we shall read on command. I will pm you if you do not step up in order.

So let it be read, so let it be done!

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Beggin' the booktators pardon ...

OK, I'll do Koppel's Lights Out. I'll try and focus on the parts that aren't so US-centric. I'll do an extensive summary for those who can't get it (particularly overseas). There's plenty to discuss even if you don't get a chance to read it.

Here's Koppel on Charlie Rose talking about the book (he's up first) ... http://charlierose.com/watch/60640857
An article from Salon ... http://www.salon.com/2015/10/27/ted_kop ... s_no_plan/
Koppel on PBS Newshour ... http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/america- ... berattack/

And the NYT review, which is not kind, but IMO fair in its criticism of the rambling nature of the book. I share their frustration. Stories that should have been brief anecdotes became long passages or even chapters, and he put what I thought was an insightful connection between his childhood in WWII England and the subject matter in the Epilogue instead of in the meat of the book.

I think the book is worth reading even if some chapters can be skipped. Definitely borrow it from the library. I got a free copy (actually two) for reviewing it. I would be disappointed if I'd paid full price for it.

Chad

Post by Chad »

@Dragline and Jenny

I can do one. Putting me second is probably good, as I'm a little swamped right now. Should be freed up by the time Jenny finishes her review.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I'm done with Future Crimes and I'm working my way through the Postman books. Surprisingly, my library had all of the Postman books and all but one available on audiobook. Just FYI in case there are people on the fence who would 'read' them if they could get the audio.

henrik

Post by henrik »

I'm almost done with "Amusing ourselves to death" and I'll start the thread soon. I found it a little culturally distant for me though, so we'll have to rely on jp and others for possible in depth analysis.
Edit: just noticed Chad was next in line, sorry for attempting to jump ahead..

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Is this still going anywhere? ... As much as I hate book clubs I almost feel tempted to join the fray. IOW ... if you're at a stand-still .. I got one for you peeps.

Ego

Post by Ego »

jacob wrote:I got one for you peeps.
Careful everyone.... the last time we let him choose he picked this one....

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Hahaha! Yes!!!

(You probably have no idea how appropriate this is. Frank's hairs get into everything---all DW's knitting projects, all my [natural fiber]clothes, all our blankets, ... )

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

What's your suggestion, Jacob?

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

It might make better felt than yarn.

Edit: oh wait, you meant for a book!

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I'm going to take over the throne again since there appears to be a power vacuum. I order all forum members to read, The Lessons of History by Will Durant, or suffer the consequences.

Lentil Lovers, Ye Been Warned.

http://www.amazon.com/Lessons-History-W ... 143914995X

Audiobook availble on youtube:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enJRIdmVHRE

Note that this is a short book. A little over 100 pages if I remember correctly. I'll circle back and create a new thread in a little over a couple weeks.