DutchGirl's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
radamfi

Re: DutchGirl's journal

Post by radamfi »

I've done a bit of searching about what happens to ISAs if you emigrate. I have found discussion about people with ISAs going to France or Spain (unsurprisingly as they are popular emigration countries from the UK) and they all seem to suggest that ISAs are not recognised in those countries and you would have to pay the same capital gains or income tax as if the shares were not in an ISA. The advice therefore is to sell all your shares whilst you are still paying UK tax in order to avoid paying tax on any gains made. I haven't found any information about going to the Netherlands but it would be surprising if they recognised the tax-free status of the UK ISA when France and Spain don't.

Obviously NL isn't the most optimal country for low cost retirement at a young age, but you don't go there because it is cheap. You go there because it is the nearest place to utopia there is on this planet. The question is, is near-utopia worth the extra expense, and/or extra years working and saving? Maybe living in NL a few months of the year while maintaining UK tax status is a more viable option.

Scrubby

Post by Scrubby »

radamfi wrote:Also, I was wondering about healthcare costs. In England, the National Health Service is free at the point of use, except £8.20 for prescriptions. Dentists and opticians are not free but I don't spend much on those as I have good teeth and eyes. But I understand that I would need health insurance in NL. Is there a cheap option for that? I don't mind a high deductible, if that helps.
There's the European Health Insurance Card which anyone in the EU or EEC can get, but I don't think it will do you much good in the Netherlands. They seem to require all citizens to have a health insurance. http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcare ... -ehic.aspx

henrik

Post by henrik »

AFAIK the European card will only get you care that is immediately necessary, i.e. stuff that can't wait until you get home (= the country where you have your health insurance)

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

I made some changes to my spending in July.

First, I signed up to become a union member in June already, and the first bill came in July. I did this, because the company I work for has been terrible for its workers for the last few years. A lot of downsizing has been going on, and as a result we've said goodbye to some great and fully trained colleagues. Then they also started changing the stuff we use (supplies and computers and stuff), and as a result we now sometimes run into problems (products aren't delivered, products don't work, computers don't work, etc). Solving those kind of problems doesn't make your workday a lot of fun. And now they don't want to give us any raise for this year and the next, no inflation compensation at all. I can manage without that 1 or 2% raise (see below), but looking at the people I work with: they may not. And they deserve to be compensated fairly for their time (and so do I). So, I became a part of the union. It's going to cost me roughly 10 euros per month.

Second, I signed up for a gym. I have been thinking about this for at least half a year. I have tried to become more fit on my own, and to lose weight on my own, and I have managed to bike here and there and to lose some kilos (a good start). But I reached a point where things weren't improving anymore. A few months ago, I already visited some of the gyms that my town has. I knew immediately that I would be very unhappy at some of the gyms that I visited. Dim lighting (dude, get some LEDs and the electricity bill won't kill you!), very loud and obnoxious music, run-down facilities, old equipment... I could get a one-year contract there for 16 euros per month, but I'm sure I wouldn't go there anymore after a week or two. I guess hardcore frugal people with a drive to exercise would be perfectly happy there, but for me it would still be a waste of money if I wasn't going there anymore after a few weeks. So now I have become a member of a gym that will charge me 35 euros per month instead. I've been at it for a week now, and so far I like it. I already liked the lighting, the general appearance and the music, and now I also like my fellow gym-goers and the equipment (now that I've sat on it) and the amount of support by the team. I think I can keep going there and keep working on my fitness and strength. I have paid 80 euros for the first three months of membership (so 27/month for now), and after that I can decide whether I want to continue.

Those are two recurring expenses that I've added.

I still managed to save 46% of my income this month. In total, I'm at 37% for the year. Both numbers actually are a bit higher, because I'll get money back come tax time from my charity spending. I'll have to recalculate in December. I'm not sure whether I'll be able to save 50% of my posttax income, which was my goal for this year. But hopefully I'll be close, anyway. We'll see.

Hankaroundtheworld

Post by Hankaroundtheworld »

Good move, fight for your rights! I have seen this so often, companies talk about "human capital", but in reality, they do not invest in their people. In my company the same, "human resource" management has got nothing to do with getting the most out of this human capital, but more to control you ("human police" they should be called). On top of this, for the many cost savings actions, the managers do not measure the real impact (business value) of this. In your example, you lose effectiveness in your job because of cost cutting, and this loss in effectiveness has got a higher impact than the few Euro's saved in equipment and maintenance. It is typical for so many companies, "management" is mediocre, they have no clue.

Good stuff on taking actions for weight-control and health!

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Time flies when you're having fun. I've been to the gym fourteen times in 31 days, or roughly once every 2 days. I am aiming for a long-term frequency of three times per week. I've seen some increase in strength, for sure. No decrease in weight just yet, but I should really start watching what I eat, again. That's the culprit.

I spent roughly 1420 euros this month, of which 100 to a holiday we'll be taking in September (we already booked the cabin). My income was 2715. So a savings rate of 48%, and 39% on average for the year. Hopefully I'll go up to 40% or more after the next month.

It looks like it's not going to be possible to get to 50% saved for this year. Possibly 45%, which is close but not quite there. On the one hand: oh, well... On the other hand, I will do my best to get it as close as possible, from now until the end of December.

Quadalupe

Post by Quadalupe »

Wow, good work on the fitness DutchGirl! They say it takes around 30 days or something to acquire a new habit, so I think you are (almost) there. :) I'm also glad to hear you enjoyed it (unless the time flies remark was sarcastic). Your post is a good motivation for me to also start exercising more!

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Hmm. I've been on a short holiday for a week. Came home today. If I hurry, I can still make it to the gym before it closes (closes at 10 PM, it's 8 PM here). Then I can go again on Sunday, then Wednesday perhaps.

I find myself investing more money this month. This was triggered by the market downturn. I'm happy with what I did (put more money in the Irish Vanguard Global Stock fund while it was down a bit), but I am deviating from my asset allocation and now have less money in savings than I should have (still enough for a decently sized emergency fund, though!). I guess I'm just impatient.

When I reach FI, I want to have 5k euros in windenergy-investments. While I was investing anyway this week, I invested 1k euros more in two windenergy-organizations, which meant I reached that target of 5k euros. Check. Done. Mission accomplished. That does feel good. Although it's not the most profitable part of my investments (profits so far 3.2% per year).

So over the next few months, I should build up my savings again (while a little bit of each paycheck also goes to investments automatically). But it's soooo boring to put money in savings :-D . Oh, well...

Finally, with this little week away from home, I have been wondering about what I'll do when I'm FI. Maybe I'll even want to switch jobs just a few years before reaching full FI? (And then switching to a job, perhaps with a lower income, probably with different challenges and tasks, and with more decent (parttime?) hours). I'm definitely not sure yet, but it's fun to think about all the options that are slowly opening up for me. (And it's a gradual thing, I definitely already have more options now, with 75k euros of savings, than I had when I had 5000 euros, and this process will continue, I'm sure of it).

Cerberusss

Post by Cerberusss »

vexed87 wrote:DutchGirl, regarding evading taxes, yes it's risky, but have you read "How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World"?
Wow, I've started reading this book and I have to say it's extremely interesting. Thanks for the pointer!

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

@cerberusss, I won't take credit for that, it's been mentioned many times over on the forum and may well be on the ERE reading list (wiki) :)

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Ha, reading this back as I feel it's the end of the month and I can post again, I see the compliment about the fitness habit and that's the kick that I needed, to go again, today. I have not been slacking, I have been going 3 x per week, and I have seen more progress too, but I was tempted to do so today, as I also will have to go to a birthday party with lots of screaming 0-4 year olds (of which four are my adorable nieces and nephew). It's hard to motivate myself to do both, but here I go.

Finance-wise things are going ok. A nice income of almost 3000 euros, and expenses of 1580 euros, so almost, almost a 50% savings rate.

This month I put some of my savings in a certificate of deposit for the next three years. The interest rate has been going down here, similar to in the US, so I'll get 1.7% per year of interest for this, but it was only 0.8% in the savings account, and I won't need this money anyway, so it's nicely locked up for a while. Now the balance in my savings account is running rather low (after all those investments I did, last month, and then the CD), so I am pretty motivated to get that balance up again.

It's getting close to that time of the year where the company announces the plans for next year, which for me is linked to how many hours of work they'll offer me. I'm still not completely sure what to hope or ask for.

It's also getting closer to the end of the year. The year in which I aimed to spend less than 18k euros (I'm at 16k already, and 2k won't be enough for the remaining three months, so that's a fail) and tried to earn more than 36k euros (I'm at almost 27k euros, so that looks attainable, especially knowing that there's a bonus in the last month of the year, too). I think in December I'll come up with a new plan for next year. This one was pretty tough, but I also learned a lot from it.

Right, time to pack things for the gym.

FrenchGirl

Post by FrenchGirl »

Hi DutchGirl,
Good job on the investments, if you don't anticipate à n'y interruption in revenue for thé foreseable future, you miche as well but your money to work! :) Now of course, you still need some liquid money as an emergency fund, if you do reach your 36k goal, it should be no problem at all.

Congrats on the fitness! If you're like me, think about how great you feel afterward it's a huge help when I lack motivation.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

Well done on the savings rate and getting some investments happening. Do you have any areas where you can easily cut expenses. I find that this is the easier area to focus on in that cutting expenses often in my case didn't impact my life at all.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Thanks, Frenchgirl. I indeed do not anticipate an interruption in my revenue for the foreseeable future, and I hope to have replenished my savings somewhat by December and fully by March next year. Today is another day I'll have to head towards the gym, right after finishing this post :-)

Steveo, for me it's hard to cut savings beyond a certain point, as I'm not living on my own. For some savings I would have to argue with my boyfriend, and he sometimes really can't be bothered. Like, for example: the utilities are in his name. I would want to switch to other companies to save say a total of 600 euros per year (300 euros for me, 300 for him), but he doesn't want to do all the work involved in that. He does earn more than I do, so he thinks saving 300 euros per year is not worth his effort. And because the utilities are in his name, I do need his cooperation for this. Same with groceries: I can decide that I'll spend less on groceries, but then he comes home and has done some grocery-shopping too, for double my budget most of the times. (I'll buy food for two days for 15 euros, he'll invite a friend over for dinner and spends 30 euros on ingredients for one meal, plus a bag of crisps and some sodas).

Then again, next winter my boyfriend and I are going on a skiing trip with my family. I could say no and save myself easily 300 euros of holiday expenses, but I see this as an opportunity to spend some quality time with my parents, my brother and sister, their spouses and their kids. Last year we had a really good time together, and I think we'll have a similar good time this year. So that's 300 euros I'm spending on "wants". So it's definitely not all "him" :-) .

And also, living on my own would be more expensive too. When I moved in with my boyfriend, my housing expenses decreased from 600 euros/month (for my small apartment, including utilities) to 400 euros per month (my share for our small house+utilities). I can save more now than I could before, even with the unnecessary extra expenses.

Alright, time to stop the complaining and start preparing for the gym.

I also just published my "manifesto" on my Dutch blog about that I want to become FI and (E)RE. People were asking why I was saving so much money. Now they know. Oh dear ... Preparing for the shit storm of comments. (Luckily, I can just throw away comments that are too obnoxious).

But first, gym.

Quadalupe

Post by Quadalupe »

Sounds like you've been going a good job for the past weeks! And I can imagine that it is sometimes hard to save when your partner has other priorities. I do not yet live together with my SO, but I foresee the same problems. I have a very frugal taste and can live on a diet of only lentils, beans and rice so to speak (thanks Jacob by the way for introducing me to lentils, I love them!). My SO on the other hands really likes to go all out in the kitchen and prepare very tasty (but expensive) meals. But I can see that it makes my SO happy, so that in turn makes me happy. :)

By the way, I'm interested in your Dutch blog! Would you be willing to share me the link (PM is also okay of course)?

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

When it comes to savings rate I think we have to compromise. I'm married with 3 kids. I could be significantly more frugal however it just wouldn't really work for the kids and also my wife. We must also be so much more frugal than the average suburban family so I just have to let it go.

There are things more important than money and increasing your savings rate. Its important but its not as important as your health and having positive social interactions. At the same time you don't need to spend a fortune on health and positive social interactions. I used to go to the pub and you can easily spend $50 per night. That is something that is easy to cut out of your life as it gives very little benefit but costs a lot.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

A very late October update. I spent way too much money, I especially spent more than budgeted on fun stuff; 350 euros total. I must admit I'm not too unhappy about that, as 180 euros were used to help other people out, 50 were used to pay for my library card for the next year, and another 55 to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday.

I really do need to think about my charitable projects, though. I think there should be a balance between giving and keeping some money for yourself. As I get some more money, sometimes I feel more in control of the world: I can take better care of myself, and sometimes I can also take better care of others close to me. Really make a difference for someone. Until I think about what it would cost to really make a difference in the world - then I know I'm pretty much nowhere. (Could be in money, or in power/influence, or in time). The problems in Paris are another example of something evil that I cannot fight, cure or even alleviate on my own.

On the other hand - that's the strength of a community of humans, too. I do my part, and others do theirs, and the world is a better place for it. (Sometimes).

OK, back to numbers, as they're easier :-) . Total planned expenses were 1370, total expenses turned out to be 1755, and with an income of 2970 (470 of which were from my job-on-the-side) that means a savings rate of 41%.

We had a work meeting on Friday, and a new reorganization was announced by our manager. The direct result is that our schedules will be rearranged again, and some people will have to travel further for their work, but details aren't known just yet. Some of my colleagues were pretty mad about it. I feel I can just roll with the punches. If I get less hours? That's fine, I'll just use my time elsewhere (job on the side, and my boyfriend's company), plus my savings will just continue to grow on their own, too. I have to travel more? That's fine, too, I get (more than) reimbursed, and if I travel for over half an hour, the extra traveled time is paid as work time as well. Plus I'll get to meet new people, that's often interesting, too.
It's all okay, and if things get really bad, I can even quit my job and take my time finding something else. I guess it's more annoying if you're 60 and now suddenly have to change things around, and perhaps can't quit because you wouldn't have money from age 60 until age 66ish (official retirement age in the Netherlands).

Still, the changes aren't for the better, I'm sure of that. So colleagues will be annoyed and moody and stressed out. Not a nice prospect.

I'm still going to the gym, by the way. And I'm still seeing some progress, too. So that's nice.

And my boyfriend's going to change his company from a one-person-business to a two-person-business. He'll partner up with an old friend of his who he thinks is good at his job, too. He's quite optimistic things will work out. We'll see. But a lot of preparations are happening right now. I'm participating as well, trying to get the financial side of things right, and I'll help with bookkeeping (which will be my second job-on-the-side and which will mean being strict with my boyfriend and his friend about where they left that receipt or by when I need their list of hours worked ... oi!). It's exciting. My boyfriend's keeping his previously earned money out of this particular company, so financially it isn't too risky. They are also getting professional advice (not just from me). If it doesn't work out, they can just pull the plug and both go their own merry way. But let's hope this is a fruitful partnership, instead. We'll see.

heyhey

Post by heyhey »

"Obviously NL isn't the most optimal country for low cost retirement at a young age, but you don't go there because it is cheap. You go there because it is the nearest place to utopia there is on this planet. The question is, is near-utopia worth the extra expense, and/or extra years working and saving? Maybe living in NL a few months of the year while maintaining UK tax status is a more viable option."

This sounds good until you factor in global warming. You might want to think about moving to higher ground within the next 20-30 years.

I hope your boyfriend's partnership works out well. Partnerships are risky - I'm sure you know that and it sounds like he does too - but it will be best for you both if you make sure your assets are not claimable by any debts the partnership falls into. That way even if he loses everything, you will not.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

My assets are definitely safe, heyhey. He will form a BV, which is a kind of company here in the Netherlands with limited liability; and I'm not even going to be a part of the company; I'm just going to be paid to do the bookkeeping. His current assets are also pretty safe (of course, if the new company goes bankrupt, then he may lose money and time invested in it).

radamfi

Post by radamfi »

heyhey wrote:This sounds good until you factor in global warming. You might want to think about moving to higher ground within the next 20-30 years.
The Dutch are the world leaders in flood defences and have invested vast sums over many decades in mitigation measures, and they continue to do so.

Britain floods more readily than the Netherlands:

http://davidhembrow.blogspot.co.uk/2014 ... adily.html

There are some hilly areas in the Netherlands, especially Zuid-Limburg which rises to over 300 metres above sea level.