Resources and recommended listening

Your favorite books and links
henrik

Resources and recommended listening

Post by henrik »

This one is for ERE relevant or otherwise interesting podcasts. In other topics, Jennypenny and some others have mentioned some that I've enjoyed.

Inspiration - I bought a nice little mp3 player today that I'd like to put to good use (wouldn't bring a smartphone out for a run even if I had one). I cleaned out the archive at Radical Personal Finance, looking for more recommendations now or in the future:)

walker

Re: Resources and recommended listening

Post by walker »

ERE-related: Mad Fientist, although it hasn't been updated in a while.

Randomly entertaining: Partially Derivative (data science applied to current events, plus beer reviews).

m741

Post by m741 »

It's orthogonal to ERE, but the Tim Ferriss Show is good. Basically interviews with various famous people or people with interesting specialties (Schwartzenegger, Peter Diamondis, microbiology, memory, etc). Good for hearing about self-improvement, efficiency, and 'lifestyle design'. Non-ERE because overall it doesn't promote independence or generalization.

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

I like The Moth, StoryCorps, Radiolab, Cracked, America's Test Kitchen, and Car Talk.

Will check out any others listed in this thread. Always looking for good podcasts.

C40

Post by C40 »

Specifically ERE Related:
  • The Radical Personal Finance Podcast
  • Mad Fientist's Financial Independence Podcast
Other's I'd recommend:
  • Tim Ferris podcast (highly recommended)
  • The Random Show (Tim Ferris and Kevin Rose basically shooting the breeze. Usually they talk about interesting stuff. All episodes are available on video, generally on youtube, which can be a little better because sometimes there are relevant visual things)
  • Harry Browne's radio show (Money Talk) You may like listening to this even if you aren't interested in the Permanent Portfolio
  • The Voluntary Life (hit or miss)
  • Freakonomics Radio
  • Stuff you should know
  • Stuff you missed in history class (TONS.. some really interesting)
  • The New Man, or Knowledge for Men (Can be super cheesy, but there's also some good stuff)
  • EthicalSTL.org
I listen to some other travel, history, and podcasts, but I don't think any of them are good enough to recommend here..
Last edited by C40 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I find The Thomas Jefferson podcast pretty interesting.

Ego

Post by Ego »

I've been listening to This Week In Microbology TWIM, TWIV (Virology) and TWIP (Parasitology) lately. Fascinating stuff.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I love podcasts. I think it's the old-timey radio aspect that appeals to me (I have a 1937 Blaupunkt in my office that I still listen to). Just a sampling of my monthly list ...

David McRaney's podcast
Econ Talk (great back catalog)
The Art of Manliness
Dan Pink's Office Hours
James Altucher's podcast (so-so host, but great guests)
Peak Prosperity, although I think the quality is slipping. The back catalog is better.
James Howard Kunstler's podcast (some better than others)
The Bugle (just 'cause it's funny)
Chad turned me on to Dan Carlin's podcast

John Michael Greer doesn't have his own podcast but is a frequent (excellent) guest on other podcasts, so I google him once a week.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

This is one of the best of the JMG interviews I have listened to. I plan to digest it several times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2whKR8lbqI

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

H/T to rootsimple for turning me on to this podcast. I'm working my way through the episodes (500+). There are several on topics we've discussed.

Bertrand Russell http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01p8fsr
Stoicism http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p003k9fs
Thoreau ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00glr78
virtue ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p005489r
solitutde ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b046ntnz
Montaigne ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01s0qmj
Brave New World ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00jn8bc
materialism ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b009ydlj
altruism ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0038x9c

Anyway, you get the idea. It's not just about philosophy. There are episodes on everything from The Opium Wars to Exoplanets to Boudica. Here's the full catalog ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/article ... me-archive

Chad

Post by Chad »

I love podcasts. I listen to them constantly. Driving, working out, at home instead of the TV, etc. They are great because they aren't required to water everything done so they appeal to everyone. I don't listen to personal finance ones, but I do listen to finance ones.

Dan Carlin - As Jenny mentioned, I'm a huge fan. He has two podcasts. One is called Common Sense and is political. He definitely leans left, but not necessarily mainstream left or part of the extremists on the left. The other one, which is not political at all, is called Hardcore History. It is probably the best podcast on the internet if you have any interest in history. His series on Genghis Kahn is spectacular.

Tim Ferris- I will second the Tim Ferriss Show. He has some great very interesting guests. He usually focuses on ways to improve your life/lifehacks. He is a big proponent of being a jack of all trades.

Joe Rogan - The Joe Rogan Experience is good. Wide ranging guests from comedians, scientists, MMA fighters, philosophers, etc.

Barry Ritholz - His Masters in Business podcast/radio on Bloomberg is good. It's generally two parts the first hour is for the radio and is obviously over produced, but still decent. The second hour, which is the podcast part, is really good. All of his guests are in the business or investment fields.

Exponent - A tech podcast by Ben Thompson that ties to his Stratechery blog. Focuses completely on tech. I've gotten good investment ideas off of him in the past. Though, he doesn't blatantly outline them.

Nerdist - Comedian Chris Hardwick hosts. It's pure entertainment, but if you like scifi and related topics it's great.

Some others are Radiolab, Total Human Optimization, Lewis Howes School of Greatness, etc.

Almost forgot Found My Fitness is a great deep dive into nutrition. She is a research scientist, so it's not just some guy on the street corner spouting advice.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I meant to include this podcast on Complexity on my list. We've touched on complexity in several threads, and I thought they did a good job of defining and explaining complexity.

@Chad--I'm so glad you included Rogan's podcast. I wanted to include it, but chickened out. I love Joe Rogan.

Chad

Post by Chad »

:lol: Yeah, Rogan can seem a bit of cretin from the outside. His standup can be full of swearing and sex, which isn't everyone's cup of tea (I like it). Plus, he looks like a caveman/biker/thug, which he freely admits. Of course, all of that hides his real personality, which is curious and rather intellectual. He is one of the best interviewers and manages to loosen them up.

I also like that he doesn't just go for the A-listers, which he could given his podcast's popularity. Don't get me wrong Ferriss' interview of Schwarzenegger is good, but I like it when they pull in people I'm not entirely aware of. For instance, Rogan's recent interview of John Wayne Parr is fascinating. He was an Australian who basically committed his life to learning Muay Thai in Thailand. Parr's stories of the Thai fight culture were awesome. Of course, then next week he will have Neil Degrasse Tyson on or some other scientist. It's all good.

I've had The Art of Manliness on my phone for weeks. I guess I need to finally listen to it. I have a 3 hour drive today, so I will give it a shot. The Complexity one looks interesting too.

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday »

I love listening to Suze Orman podcasts,especially the part when people ask for a grade on their retirement plans.

The best bit that always cracks me up is when she advises them to just work "5 more years,that's not a big deal" until they are 72 years old!!!???

Only in America...

C40

Post by C40 »

I can't stand that broad

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Off topic so please do waste too much bandwidth on this. Practically the only podcasts I'm interested in are the one's that concern me, personally. Because I'm vain that way. I simply find audio too slow. HOWEVER! More than once, I've seen blind students having developed listening comprehension at speeds beyond the usual ~100WPM. Basically, they can make sense out of speech that runs at super-Mickey Mouse sounding fast forward. Has anyone done that?

No need to answer if the answer is no.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

I don't listen to many of them, but I do speed them up when the option is available. But I can't usually understand it beyond 2x speed and usually 1.5x is where I end up. So I'm nowhere near MM level.

henrik

Post by henrik »

I definitely agree that audio is too slow(*), I always prefer reading whenever I don't have to use my eyes for something else at the time. Don't have those cell phone zombie skills yet.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! When I started the thread, I actually meant it more like the video thread where we post specific links to stuff we've liked, but this has been even more helpful. I think I've downloaded around 500 km worth, I'll let you know if I discover something especially good:)

(*) especially the overedited podcasts like Freakonomics or Radioab where they feel like they need to edit in a comment or a jingle after every 2 sentences, presumably for the benefit of all those with ADHD?

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday »

I have the Kindle Fire and will often put the audio reading speed up to x4 and attach ear phones to it while walking.It's a great way to get through information books quickly (and exercise at the same time).