29 re-purposed wooden pallet projects

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/featured- ... -projects/
Has anyone done something like this? Where can you get these? Can you just ask for them? Are they pressure-treated (and therefore full of chemicals)?

ICouldBeTheWalrus

Post by ICouldBeTheWalrus »

I think that in recent times it's become really hard to get used pallets because the higher cost of timber means that more of them are reused for future shipping instead of thrown out.

altoid

Post by altoid »

I love the ideas!! Thanks Jennypenny for posting ! I will try some of the easy ones to how it works out.

m741

Post by m741 »

There was a fellow on reddit who had done a ton of stuff with shipping pallets. I think he was in r/frugal 3-4 months ago.
These pallets are pretty nice, they really look just like modern design - I've rarely seen pallets in such good condition available for free.
The tough part is ensuring your pallets are not pumped full of chemicals (not just from pressure treating), which can cause all sorts of health problems. I think there stamps on pallets indicate how they were prepared, but I'd find more details useful.

JasonR

Post by JasonR »

o
Last edited by JasonR on Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Short article on how to tell if the pallet is safe.

http://www.treehugger.com/sustainable-p ... -info.html
So far, I've found ONE safe pallet to use, but I keep looking. I'll use the treated pallets for a coffee table and end tables for our deck.

jennypenny

Re: 29 re-purposed wooden pallet projects

Post by jennypenny »

More pallet projects (cool site) ...

http://oldworldgardenfarms.com/pallet-projects/

saving-10-years

Post by saving-10-years »

(UK based advice) You can often find broken pallets (which means that one part of them is broken - no problem if you are remodelling them) left just by the side of the road, workshops, etc. The cost of disposing of them act as incentive to let people take them away (as long as they ask first). We have some flytipped in our drive from time to time (by people who think its some sort of layby). No complaints as there are far worse things that they can tip there.

Thanks @JennyPenny for the very stylish project ideas. Next time I may hold some back from the wood pile.

workathome

Post by workathome »

A local guy makes children's toys out of used pallets. He treats them with olive oil, but good question as to whether the pallet itself is safe... hopefully he kept that in mind when making them!

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I like this project. It's a chair made out of a wooden pallet and old jeans.

teewonk

Post by teewonk »

A local commercial flooring installer has a giant pallet pile by their building and a sign that says "free pallets". Try calling around to building supply places.

WillS

Post by WillS »

I'd like to chime in on this. When I was kid I raised a few feeder pigs for the auction. I came up with a handy way to fence them using these pallets; You stand them up on edge, put a metal stake between each, and tie them to the stake using wire. When the pigs try to dig under, the pallet just settles into their hole. When they try to tear it apart, the wire and stakes have enough give, and the pallet is sturdy enough, that nothing happens. They work amazingly well. You want to use heavy duty pallets, heavy duty stakes, and heavy duty wire of course!