m741's ERE Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: m741's ERE Journal

Post by jacob »

Think of memory as a cup that you start filling. It's full around age 25. If you keep filling it, something else has to go. It may be possible to retain it all by retraining the things you're about to forget, but consider that this strategy comes with an exponential workload. You only have so much mental energy. How much are you going to spend practicing your memory like some flash carding Jeopardy contestant instead of learning new things?

The transition in mindset is somewhat hard because it requires a different attitude. It's similar to minimalism/materialism. A lot of considerations becomes one of "do I really want to burn two years of mental energy on this knowing that I will lose it again in the future once I no longer practice it" similar to "do I really want to add an extra room to my home knowing that I have to clean that too"?

So expect to be forgetting details regularly from now on. Luckily, you only forget useless stuff. That is stuff, you use less. Some things remain! For example, I haven't trained with swords for 3 years now. I can still handle one, but I've forgotten almost all the names of the different katas and details of them. That was about 10k of concise notes completely memorized, now gone. Similarly, I had about 600 papers memorized for my thesis. I could quote name and year of a paper relevant to a statement. Made it really easy to cite and write papers. I forgot it all. But I still remember what my thesis was about. Verily, when I started my quant work, I realized that I had almost forgotten how to do calculus (analytic integration) by hand (after doing it all numerically for so many years).

What you can focus on, however, is wisdom.---That is, knowing what's important and what's not. That's also your transition into higher order work: telling the underlings who get to worry about all the details exactly which details that ought to worry about. Big picture stuff.

Also if you do need to relearn, it usually comes very quickly, so you haven't really forgotten. It's just gone from active memory.

sshawnn

Post by sshawnn »

@m741, to help combat my own such memory loss, I take and collect lots and lots of digital pictures of good moments. Reviewing photos is most always pleasant. Storage is cheap and they are worth a thousand words each. :D

fips

Post by fips »

m741, thanks for the nice roundup of the year. Sounds like you are right on track. Keep up the good work!

And - not wanting to hijack your journal - but just a short question to Jacob on his last post:
jacob wrote:I had about 600 papers memorized for my thesis.
600 papers times 10 pages on average (wild guess) = 6.000 pages in total.
How did you manage to memorize that kind of amount? Have you used a certain techniques? Were you training to do just that (memorizing) or were you just using the papers so often that the memorization came naturally?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@fips - 600 papers times 2-5 conclusions from each is some 2000+ factoids which is the equivalent of experiental expert level knowledge for any domain so it's not that remarkable. Ask any professor to give a few journal references for a given question/issue in their domain and they should be able to do so no matter what the question. The main technique is/was reading and understanding the actual papers and putting them into context of what is already known [by me]. For me writing review articles works very well as it requires you to know who to cite. Talking with others [professionally] also requires being able to reference papers at will. However, the actual knowledge, which goes much deeper, does not. This is why I'm purged my mental citation data base whereas I still remember the actual physics.

m741

Post by m741 »

@Legthorn - Yes, I agree with everything you just said. People are sometimes very insistent that I said or did something, and the first few times it happened I disagreed, but it's happened enough to be a pattern. There's the old programming trope of reading terrible code, looking for the offender, and realizing it's yourself. But that's not something you think about happening with personal discussions, so it's pretty weird.

@jacob - I think that hitting the 'age of forgetting' may be part of it. I like the analogy to keeping a minimalism. And yes, I want to learn or study almost everything I hear about, but I'm just starting to internalize that memory is limited. I'm certainly trying to cultivate wisdom, and also trying to tidy up my habits of thinking and discipline, which I think apply across subjects. One way I think it's possible to get past the memory barrier is to train muscle memory. You may get a little rusty with muscle memory, but are less likely to forget completely.

@sshawnn - I take a lot more pictures on vacations than I used to, and I find that helpful. Now that I have a smart phone, I take occasional pictures on less exception occasions. But it's probably worth making more of an effort to commemorate events and good times.

m741

Post by m741 »

January, 2014

What happened?

I traveled to visit my father for a belated Christmas, bringing the gf along. It was fun... she went sledding for the first time, and we basically did that for half the weekend. I also saw two big concerts that were Christmas presents to each other, and went to a film festival at a very cool location in NYC. Otherwise, it was pretty quiet - we saw friends and hung out at home. I think February will be even more quiet, which suits me just fine right now.

I worked out regularly, missing only 2 workouts during the week. I also decided to do some rock climbing (I have easy access to a bouldering wall). My fingers/forearms are super weak, so it's a real struggle. But I think it's worth developing in an area that doesn't play to my physical strengths.

Work started really slow through the middle of January, then got more interesting. It's pretty interesting overall right now, and my biggest issue is staying focused on work and getting my energy up. Maybe I'm not in the habit of deep thinking anymore.

Finances

My portfolio took a pretty large hit this month, so although my income was very high (bonus and a three-paycheck month), I didn't see as much gain as I expected. That's ok: slow and steady wins the race.

I increased expected monthly dividends by $25, not as much as I hoped. This was because I increased my automatic purchases but made only a single discretionary purchase (VZ). I continue to invest a few hundred in Lending Club and $1k in SolarCity bonds each month. I also made a large donation, $2k. I think I mentioned this before, but it was taken out my paycheck this month.

Finally, I guess the biggest news is that I tracked my finances for the first time since last August. Expenses were about $175 lower this month than my previous baseline. I think that's mostly attributable to few unusual purchases, and eating more at home rather than going out to restaurants. My expenses were $2293, which is rent + $1k.

The other big news is that as of today (2/2) I have sold out vested shares of my company's stock, and will continue to see a small amount vest each month. This amounts to a salary bump; once it's set up to smoothly pay out I'll increase my regular investments and invest a bit more with lending club.

Goals

My goals for February:
- Don't eat refined sugar (cookies, candy, donuts, cake, juice, etc). I'm tracking sugar consumption in a spreadsheet that's shared with my friend. We shame each other if we eat sugar.
- Continue to work out and climb (work out 3x per week, climb 2x per week).
- Find some stocks that look attractively priced and purchase them.
- Do some work and practice on my own (something like writing/photography/programming).

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Always nice to see one of your updates. I hope you're still on track for the goals you made for February? Good luck!

m741

Post by m741 »

February, 2015

What happened?

Well, not all that much. February was a month of consolidation for me. No trips, no big events. Spent time with friends, did stuff in NYC. Lounged on weekends. But I've been thinking a lot and building habits.

I'm really taking health more seriously. And I want to continue. I adhered pretty closely to my no-sweets goal and only had sugar 4 times during the month. I want to continue that, but also stop consumption of sucralose and aspartame. Not that I really had a desire to lean on these as crutches: my sugar cravings have been massively reduced.

I'm also eating more salad, more greens, and cooking at home more. I'm trying to drop carb consumption overall, and eat more healthy fats, such as olive oil and eggs. This seems to be in accord with my reading of the rough state of nutrition 'science' right now.

I've also been consistently taking vitamins and, more recently, creatine. And just eating less overall. I feel maybe 15% more alert than I did before, which is great.

My gym habits have not been great. I go to the gym maybe 60% of the time that I should. For climbing... I want to go more, but I've got some sort of strain in one arm near my elbow, so I've been taking it easy and doing lots of pull-ups at home. Better to go slowly than push too hard and have to stop.

The other big thing was that I talked to my accountant this month. This is the second year I've gone to this guy for taxes. As far as I can tell, he knows what he's talking about - I've been impressed. I had been pretty quiet and non-commital about about things last year. I go into great detail about finances online, but it's so different in person :). But I was pretty open and used the 'sabbatical' angle to open the topic: but I think he had some idea what I was considering (ERE). I'm glad we talked, because he had some good ideas, particularly from a tax angle.

The major outcome of this talk was that I'm shifting emphasis from dividends to growth. Not a huge shift, but I've liquidated some of the very high dividend, risky stuff, and slowed investments in dividend-payers. No sense paying taxes on dividends right now. If I really want to move to a dividend strategy in two years, it's not so hard. But capital gains are more tax efficient overall, both currently and in retirement.

Finances

As mentioned above, I sold the riskiest, highest-dividend holding I had. I'm now also holding a mid-cap Vanguard growth fund, and aim to add a large-cap growth fund as well. I also put another slug into GLD. It's gone down a bit since I last bought, but it's one of the few true diversification options, and I'd like to move towards a slightly more volatile permanent portfolio.

Due in part to market recovery, I saw a big boost in net worth this month.

Other than that, not much to report.

Goals

- Return to consistent gym-going, 3-days per week.
- Continue to avoid sweets (along with sucralose and aspartame).
- Invest in large-cap growth fund.

mxlr650

Post by mxlr650 »

I'm really taking health more seriously. And I want to continue. I adhered pretty closely to my no-sweets goal and only had sugar 4 times during the month. I want to continue that, but also stop consumption of sucralose and aspartame. Not that I really had a desire to lean on these as crutches: my sugar cravings have been massively reduced.
When I quit drinking caffeinated and artificially sweetened beverages last year my cravings for sugar redused drastically. Once your taste buds are retrained/cleansed you'll never go back to drinking them. It took me almost a decade to realize that aspartame/sucralose was bad for me.

m741

Post by m741 »

March, 2015

What happened?

It was a pretty quiet month, actually. I didn't do any travel, mostly just relaxed on the weekends and did work - waiting for the winter to end for spring to really begin. The weather is changing here in NYC and I think it'll be warm in a week or two.

I've stopped working out, so I need to start that again. I kept eating mostly healthy and I'm going to be getting stricter with that for April.

I went to the NYC ERE meetup and got to meet some new people, which was fun.

Sorry if this is boring. I expect April to be more exciting!

Job

I've been happier at the job recently. It's busier, which I like as long as I don't have to work longer hours. And I've got more of an opportunity for a leadership role, which I like. It's different than what I was doing before, and overall I think it's a good move for me. I'm finally excited about something. I should have more opportunities in May (or very late April).

Besides that, work's work. My plans here haven't changed so far: January 2017 I'm looking to quit for some serious time off. If things don't change for the better as I expect, then I may consider seeing if I can figure out some partial work arrangement at the start of next year (ie, doing shorter workweeks or something).

Finances

I've continued my switch from a focus on dividend stocks to growth stocks. Basically I've cut my automatic weekly investment in dividend stocks in half, and put that into small- and mid-cap growth stocks. I'm continuing to invest in Lending Club, about $400 each month.

My net worth increased marginally this month, due to another slight decline in the market.

My expected dividends went up slightly this month, but are still below January levels (since I sold off some very high-dividend issuers at that point). I expect this trend to continue, and I'm happy with dividends increasing at this rate each month.

This was the high month in my dividend cycle, with dividend income exceeding $2k, but it's less than 3 months ago.

Some financial goals for April:
- Read some Harry Browne to see if the permanent portfolio seems like a good choice.
- Consider investing more into gold. Right now it's about 4% of my portfolio.
- Continue with investments, but monitor and consider reducing auto-investment as my cash cushion is decreasing (I can only auto-sell vested shares of company stock quarterly).
- Look to sell off the last high-yield fund I hold, about $10k worth of PFF (6% yield).

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Nice to read your update, m741. I myself think gold is pretty overrated. It's a metal that can be used in some electronics. That's it. Anyway, just my humble opinion. I would say: stay critical. If you are considering investing in gold, don't just read the people who want you to invest in gold ;-)

I hope you'll have a great spring.

m741

Post by m741 »

April, 2015

What happened?

A nice smooth month, exciting but not too busy. It started with a trip to Philadelphia, which I really enjoyed. I also visited my father in upstate NY.

I received a few plants for my birthday, and realized how much I missed having them around. Not that I had a lot of houseplants, but I did a lot of landscaping and gardening as a kid (mostly ornamental stuff). So I visited a local Home Depot and picked up a bunch of herbs that were on sale. I have no idea how they'll turn out, but it's something interesting when I come home at night - did they grow? What are they looking like?

I haven't been very good with my habits. I'm making another push with a buddy to exercise (run) more, as well as to eat better.

Job

This was far and away the most interesting. First off, we're wrapping up a project at work. I'm happy about that the ~2 months of debugging is ending. It's just so ugly. It's not really programming and not that rewarding, and mostly paperwork.

I'm faced with an interesting opportunity. The team that I was really interested has an opening. The position is a 'leadership' position, although there's only one guy on the platform I'd be working on (the entire team is 6-7 people). The position, "tech lead" is maybe a bit of a stretch for me, which could be good or bad. And the team does stuff related to charitable work, which after all was a direction I wanted to go.

On the other hand, I can't get a read on the team itself. The guy running the overall team, who isn't that familiar with the platform I'd work on, was friendly enough, but also asked my Myer-Briggs type in the interview... pragmatic? And I started looking at the code today and it's pretty bad. Which is a bit exciting, since I can make a huge impact there.

On the other hand, the team I'm on isn't an exciting area, and is really big. But the leadership is excellent and there's a lot of people to learn from (theoretically, maybe less so in practice). And they have a good plan for slowly increasing my responsibility, that seems pretty reasonable.

I'm working with the new team on a part-time basis, and haven't made up my mind. I can go either way, depending on my mood. I'll have to decide in 2-3 weeks.

We also had an experimentation week this month, where I could do whatever I wanted on the application I work on. This was awesome, I was able to hack together a very cool project that I'm pretty proud of. One of my teammates, maybe the guy I get along with best, was impressed. In a week I'll demo it to the team. It was a chance to do some actual programming. I get so depressed when I go a few weeks without legitimately programming, so at the very least this has been energizing to me.

Overall I have to say that I'm excited about work. I just need to make a decision. At the very least, I expect things to clarify themselves in a week or two.

Finances

Finances were simply steady this month. Net worth went up at exactly an average rate. Dividends increased by an expected $50/month, half through mutual fund investments and half through a slug of WMT which was in a slump and looked juicy.

I also bought a bunch of stuff in Lending Club - I'd accumulated a small balance in addition to the small amount I put in the account monthly. I continue to get very, very reliable returns. Maybe I'm just lucky or I do some strange screening.

I've been doing the normal regular donations as well, Kiva mostly. I'm thinking of setting aside an additional $100/month to donate to entertainment I enjoy, produced by people who ask for contributions. Stuff like podcasts, NPR, open source software, videos, websites, etc. A few months back I signed up to donate $3/month to Wikimedia Foundation. Not a lot, but it's something. After all, how often do you read Wikipedia? All the time!

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Nice to read that you've got two good options to choose from at work. Good luck with making the actual choice :-)

Legthorn Brownboat

Post by Legthorn Brownboat »

About the new job possibility, one of the advantages of the ERE mindset (and accumulated wealth) is the freedom to try your hand at interesting, if ambitious, opportunities. It sounds like you have a choice between interesting and engaging work, but questionable/unknown leadership, vs your existing mundane work with great leadership. If you weren't financially solvent, then it's tempting to stick with the devil you know, but your buffer should allow you the ability to make your own calls. You've earned that privilege, why does it feel like it has to be all-or-nothing, i.e. aiming for either full exit or full security?

If you're worried about not living up to expectations, what do you fear from that? Do you know of others who have been in that situation? What happened to them?

If you fear loss of job, then tactically consider the timeline before that can happen (likely many months), along with opportunities to make a jump to another team/project/job in time. It's likely that you can always go back to similar work that you have now. Even if it must end in termination, you were gainfully employed for enough of a product/review cycle plus termination period plus severance, which could put you firmly in FI, if that's your goal. At that point, you could find or even found a non-profit and program for something you believe in.

If you fear letting down authorities in your life or not meeting their approval, consider for how long you'll weigh their approval so high. Given that this is a forum where everyone is planning or at least contemplating an exit from their position, approval from higher ups is rather short-lived. Of course, even without a exit, that approval tends to also be short lived and under rewarded, but that's another conversation.

If you fear failure or letting yourself down, I think you already have the answer in your post. The code is bad, you can make real contributions, and you crave the chance to practice your programming skills. What is failure like in that case? Is that so bad?

If you fear opportunity cost, well it seems like you have a pretty good handle (as good as one can have in your position, at least) on what that cost is. You should know your current role well, and while the future is always uncertain and there might be a rainbow on the horizon, those also sometimes end up being carrots on sticks, always held just out of reach. From your description, it seems the new job possibility is the better opportunity.

Finally, make the decision early, before the supposed deadline, and own it. You'll be better served with decisiveness, once you've given it a fair consideration, and you never know when the opportunity will disappear. I've certainly seen more secure ones vanish for friends.

m741

Post by m741 »

Thanks, Legthorn. I think that's good advice. I'm not worried about losing a job or letting down personal authorities, or opportunity cost. Mostly about not living up to expectations - my own and others'. You're right, I can definitely do a better job than the way things were. So even if I don't do a perfect job, it'll be an improvement on the way things were.

I'm gonna push over the next two weeks and see what happens.

zarathustra

Post by zarathustra »

My vote is to surround yourself with as many inspiring/intelligent/fun people as you can. Whichever choice brings you a higher likelihood of that kind of environment gets my vote (because you asked for my vote, right? ;) ). This will allow you more opportunity to learn, be inspired, and have a good time doing it. Sure there are things to learn from moving "up", but not all of what you learn may be what you *want* to learn if you know what I mean.

"They" say you become the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with, right? Choose your environment wisely.

m741

Post by m741 »

May, 2015

What happened?

Outside work, I visited Chicago for a weekend with the girlfriend. Definitely one of my favorite cities. Up there with Seattle, Dresden, Lucca, Ghent, Reykjavik & Verona as among the most livable cities I've visited. I liked it better than NYC, and want to go back.

Outside that, it's been a busy month, but nothing really notable.

Job

Well, I made the big move to the new job. It's weird because it's an internal transfer, and the transfer time is 2 months. So my manager knows I'm leaving, but nobody else. And I'm working part-time on the new team, and they have a big release coming up. So there's some pressure to work on that, but I also have my current job, where I don't want to let anyone down. It's a lot to juggle. Right now I'm not very happy, but the official move when I stop working on the current team is the start of August, and I can handle two months of this. Blech.

It's one of those situations where it's easy to second-guess. The new team is a lot less formal, less 'nitpicky', and much faster moving. I'm still getting familiar with their procedures and the people. I think it's a much better fit for me, though the people are a little more weird (not that I've spent a whole lot of time with them). On the other hand, the team I was on was really good, and very well run. I just didn't feel I was growing much. I'm already happier with the work I'm doing on the new team. I just wish I had a clearer picture of the management.

I'm sure I'll have updates over the coming months.

Finances

Another steady month. Continuing to invest (Lending Club, Vanguard funds), saw monthly dividend income hop a bit as some dividends got raised. Small increase in net worth. There's not a whole lot to say here. I haven't started my experiment to donate $100 to things that bring me joy. I'll do that this month.

I continue to donate and may try putting some more cash in Kiva as a temporary thing (historically I've viewed Kiva money put in Kiva as straight donations that would never round trip). But this would be a better use for cash than having it sit around.

Plans

I'm going to a few concerts this month. The girlfriend and I are also trying an experiment where we listen to just two bands/musicians in a given month. This month it's the Rolling Stones and Neil Young. Two bands I like as a casual listener but which I'm not very familiar with.

I run twice a week midday at lunch. I like it, it's a nice way to break up the day. There's showers and lockers, so it's pretty convenient.

Not much else. I expect to do a lot of work over the next two months and won't have a lot of free time.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Dresden, Lucca, Verona I can see... Seattle if you don't have to commute or otherwise deal with traffic. But Chicago? Hmm, I suppose if you like NYC, then it fits. Haven't been to Ghent (Antwerp is similar, I think) or unpronounceable Iceland.

m741

Post by m741 »

June, 2015

What happened?

Another pretty slow month, outside of work. In fact, most of the month was working and recovering from work. That said, the girlfriend and I have a busy schedule ahead, through September, at least. Six concerts, two sports events, a trip to Seattle, a trip to Texas, and a trip to upstate NY. Phew!

We're going to a bunch of classic rock concerts. For example, The Who (with Joan Jett). My thought is simply that this is an acceptable one-time expense. I don't expect the performances to be amazing, but honestly, it's The Who. I'd like to see them once in my life. Same goes for Ringo Starr. I get to see a Beatle perform live. Ok!

We went to see rush play Rush earlier this week, and it was actually a great performance. Probably falls somewhere in my top 5 concerts.

Job

Well, it's been keeping me busy. I'm basically working two jobs, as I transition to the new team, which means a return to finance-type hours. It's exhausting... you sort of acclimate to the hours if you work them all the time, but you lose that adaptation if you go back to normal hours. Like an athlete getting out of shape.

I'll start with the bad news, which is that the team's planning process is pretty messed up. There's a lot that needs to be fixed, and the focus is pretty bad. The good news is that pretty much everybody realizes this except the manager. I think maybe this wasn't the case in the past, but we'll see what happens and if the team can adjust. There's also a lot more flexibility: I can have a larger impact. So I'm psyched about that, just nervous about the direction. Thankfully I don't really have a long-term goal at the company, so it's ok if it all goes to hell over the next year or two.

Finances

Net worth decreased a tiny amount due to Greek issues, but not a big deal. There's more buying opportunities and a chance to get things on sale. Dividends continue to increase. I also got an 'equity refresh' at work, which means I'll have more stock vesting in the future. It's relatively small by historical standards, but I'm not about to complain - the timing of my transfer was such that I expected to get completely screwed over and seeing something of value was a nice surprise.

Hobbies

I read a random article about bare-metal Raspberry Pi programming, and I found a good tutorial that I've been working through. It's assembly programming, without an operating system, reading and sending data directly to pins or the GPU. So far I've gotten an LED blinking and drawn a gradient on my TV. I like it, but apparently you can do the same thing with C, so I'm planning on switching after I get through the tutorial. I think it's a fun hobby and I picked up some additional equipment, including a long-deferred soldering iron purchase. I've been working with Arduino on and off for a while and want to pick all that up. You can get super-cheap electronic components from China, and there's tons of cool things to build.

I also started playing a lot more video games after work, due to the Steam summer sale (one of two times per year that I buy games), and also because I haven't had energy for a lot else after work.

Chris

Post by Chris »

m741 wrote: We went to see rush play Rush earlier this week, and it was actually a great performance. Probably falls somewhere in my top 5 concerts.
Nice! This is the first Rush tour I'll miss since 2002.

Hope your other acceptable one-time expenses also make it into your top 10. For myself, I'll be seeing Joan Jett on Saturday.