Post by Ego »

C40

Re: Book Club? Anyone? Bueller?

Post by C40 »

... Coming soon...

C40

Post by C40 »

Well I hoped to share a book that is less well-known here, but I was ill-prepared, not having a selection beforehand. Then, I saw that my back-up idea is already on the book club list a few people down.. So:

We're going to study Meditations.

I will be reading two different translations at the same time:

- Gregory Hays (2,002)
- Maxwell Staniforth (1964)

I'll let you decide which edition to read. There are a handful of others. The Gregory Hays version is in modern english. It is simple and straightforward. The Maxwell Staniforth edition is a little more dated. There are some Thous in it, but some passages are more colorful, regal, interesting to read.

So here's the plan:
I'll select certain passages that are particularly interesting or relevant to ERE. I will post those passages in the discussion thread. So for those wanting ERE Book Club LITE - you can just wait and participate in the thread without reading the entire book. For those who already have a different edition or have easier access to a different version, you can read that one and still participate

You can get them here:

STANIFORTH (1964):
Kindle Version. $7
Paperback $4
Hardcover $4
OR YOUR LIBRARY

(I linked to all three because sometimes in the Staniforth versions in Amazon, when you click a different book type, it can take you to a different translation. All of these links appear to be Staniforth translations. I got the kindle version so I know that one is.

HAYS (2,002):
All Versions $6 to $15. The different versions appear to all be Hays translations.
For the torrent users (free) (There is another version on kickass.to that is said to be a Martin Hammond Translation (2,006) - but it is not - it's actually the Hays version)
OR YOUR LIBRARY

(at some later point, I'm also going to see if there are different translations of the Ehciridion and Letters from a Stoic. Seneca seems to have the most/best ERE type quotes, but it is so dang long, and the translation I have is heavy and slow reading.)

EDIT - ADDITION - In the discussion thread, I will also ask the readers to share one passage that they really enjoyed / that stood out to them / that made them think.
Last edited by C40 on Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

The Sleeper has Awoken! All hail the great Marcus Aurelius Antoninus -- err, C40!

He's the man with the plan, which we shall follow! Lead on!

You may also find this book here for free in several formats -- which version I knoweth not:
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2680

5to9

Post by 5to9 »

This one has been on my reading list for years. This sounds like a great excuse to finally read it.

C40

Post by C40 »

Made a addition to my post - noting that in the discussion thread I will ask those who are reading the book to share one passage - their favorite or one that stood out / made them think / etc.

C40

Post by C40 »

Ok - so whoever is in on Meditations - area you ready for the discussion thread? I'm pretty much ready to start it.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Yes, go ahead.

Sere

Post by Sere »

Greetings! Is this fine club open to new members?
I have just started reading Meditations and would be keen to catch up on some of the other book selections this group has discussed in the past.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Yes, the members come and go as they please. Our methods are quite haphazard.

All of the books have separate threads, but you'll find them if you search "book club". There is also a wiki entry. Feel free to add yourself to the end, with or without a book selection.

Sere

Post by Sere »

Thanks Dragline, will do so!

henrik

Post by henrik »

Hi all, I have been politely reminded, twice, that it's now my turn to provide you with something to occupy your time and mind.

I suggest this as our next endeavor:

Private Truths, Public Lies
The Social Consequences of Preference Falsification

Timur Kuran
http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php? ... 0674707580
http://books.google.ee/books/about/Priv ... KBaiCpSxYC

I've been wanting to read it for quite a while and although I've only just started, I believe there is a lot of potential overlap with topics dear to our minds.

Considering my own schedule, the fact that it's a 400+ page book apparently not available in e-format, and the rate this club seems to have been advancing earlier, I suggest we take until the end of December and discuss in the beginning of January.

I'd appreciate it if you let me know on this thread or in a PM and by the end of November if you are interested and intend to read it - just so we know there'll be at least some people discussing it.

Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

I simply love the discussions you guys have on your respective book review threads.

I’m too lazy to join in myself (for now)—and also not in easy reach of new books without spending cash, so I make do with what I already own--which means, for now, I’m basically piggy-backing the rest of you who do participate (as do many others here too, I expect) in getting to know about the ideas discussed in these books (and essays), but I’m sure you don’t mind that!

What I’m saying is, great thread and reviews you’ve all got going here! You enjoy talking about this here I know, and we very much enjoy hearing you talk about it.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

I'm definitely in -- looks awesome, actually:

http://www.amazon.com/Private-Truths-Pu ... 6410644949

"Kuran argues that agents choose 'public preferences' which are contrary to their 'private preferences' in order to attain 'reputational utility.' Such 'preference falsification' pushes, in turn, ideas away from private consciousness, originating 'knowledge falsification' (i.e., indoctrination). Kuran's book is well-argued, never dull, and studded with diverse anecdotes. It is destined to become a classic, providing a methodological individualistic alternative to Karl Marx's theory of ideology...Academics as well as educated persons will come back after reading the book more enriched on how to understand our complex world."

After reading that description, I'm wondering how this meshes with Rene Girard's "Mimetic Theory" (it's the natural state of humans to imitate other humans and desire what other humans have or desire), which I've just been reading about. It seems like a similar idea from a different oblique, Kuran's being an economics-based model and Girard's being an anthropology-based model. The best ideas are like this -- they cross disciplines and have broad applications. I'm getting excited already, actually.

In any event, its a good excuse to put down "The Philosophy of Karl Jaspers" for a while, which is a real slog and I wouldn't torture anyone with.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I'm in.

I hadn't thought about the Girard connection. I read a couple of his books after his name came up in the other thread. Now I'm curious about this book.

@Dragline--Ubiquity just made it to the top of my pile. I'm going to read it this weekend.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Are we going with this book? Amazon has a promo code for 30% off right now (HOLIDAY30) and I'll use it for this if it's definitely the next pick.

henrik

Post by henrik »

I already have the book and Dragline seemed to be interested as well. Let's see what we learn. Hope someone else will join.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Cool. I just ordered it using the promo code, and it said it won't arrive until Jan. 2. :o

Hopefully it will be here sooner. I'm a fast reader, so I'll get through it quickly once it arrives. I'm looking forward to it.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Just got a copy yesterday. Already through chapter one. Seems wordy. Hope it gets better.