FI Fighter's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Hankaroundtheworld

Re: FI Fighter's Journal

Post by Hankaroundtheworld »

That was for sure a love letter to FI, or better, freedom! Would be interesting to see what you will make out of this freedom.

FI Fighter

Post by FI Fighter »

Things may be getting interesting soon... It's been just over 3 years since I started my own ERE journey. I was thinking about grinding it out for one final year... until today:

http://www.fifighter.com/financial-inde ... y-05-2014/

Can't say how thankful I am to have stumbled on this site/forum, which made everything possible.

FI Fighter

Post by FI Fighter »

Cimorene, yes I totally agree which is why I'm finally taking the steps to fix the problem. I've decided to slow things down, and really can't see myself grinding out 40+ hours each week anymore. With the progress I've made in the last 3 years, it shouldn't be necessary either.

So, I'm taking the rest of the week off to relax... Regardless of how things play out at work, 2015 will most likely be the year I declare early FI and leave that old life behind... Very exciting, when I think about it.

FI Fighter

Post by FI Fighter »

Maybe conventional wisdom says this isn't possible... but what if you've adopted and follow an ERE type lifestyle?

A comment I made on the blog which outlines my "insane" life plan... I thought I would share here:

My real ticket to freedom is long-term growth of my portfolio. Cash flow just needs to hold me over in the short-term and let me play on the beach…

I look at it this way — Imagine if I owned 5 properties in the Bay Area back in 1980, and invested $100k+ in the stock market and $200k in retirement accounts at age 30…using today’s numbers and not adjusted for inflation! The foundation is set. Cash flow from some Midwest properties and side hustle income would then only be needed to tide me over for the next 10-20 years or so… In the 2000, when I’m 50, I could then liquidate a portion of the portfolio to beef up cash flow, if that became necessary. Although my guess would be the rent increases over the years would have kept up and exceeded inflation.

This would need to last another 10 years… Then, when I’m 60, I can tap into my $200k retirement accounts, which would have grown to a much larger number now… Plus I would own all those properties FREE AND CLEAR! At this point, I would probably just liquidate all the properties since I wouldn’t want to be a landlord anymore… Finally, just park everything in dividend stocks, or bonds, or something secure and call it a day.

Maybe my plan is too crazy and detached from reality? Well, I still want to attempt it anyway and if things go awry, then I’ll go back to the cube farm…

I like my odds though.

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday »

Hi FI Fighter,

I read your blog and enjoy it greatly.

While reading it I used to think this man is a machine/robot because your self discipline to reach your goal seemed non-human.
I admire this greatly.

I have nothing worthwhile to add to your plans and just wanted to send a message of encouragement .

Right now I love the energy and desire I see in your writing "to be free".

Can anyone with that passion for something ever really fail?
I have never seen it in my lifetime-I KNOW you will make a success of it no matter what obstacles you meet on your way.

Best of luck with it all,you have worked so hard and deserve it .

FI Fighter

Post by FI Fighter »

@1taskaday,

Thank you so much for the kind words! I really do appreciate the support.

Yes, early FI has been a main goal of mine since I stumbled upon Jacob's "About Me' section on the blog. When I dug into the forums and found so many others attempting ERE, it just motivated me so much to get started and give it my own best shot.

In many ways, the progress has come rapidly, but not without consequences. Right now, I'm struggling with some other things (not related to FI), and it's been very draining (physically, mentally, and emotionally).

But in a way it's only making me appreciate everything so much more...

FI Fighter

Post by FI Fighter »

Shout out to Jacob, this forum, and blog for helping me discover the "red pill" which helped me achieve my childhood dream of becoming a net worth millionaire at age 30!

The full details and story can be found here:

http://www.fifighter.com/financial-inde ... -red-pill/

Many thanks!!

rube

Post by rube »

Anyone knows what happened to fifighter (Jay)?
He stopped blogging in Feb/March (and seemingly all other social media) without any goodbye or any hints or so.