CrossFit Q

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
a.e.k

Post by a.e.k »

I remember a few people mentioning that they have done Cross Fit.

I've looked into it, and it seems like an effective program- but it also seems quite pricey. Is it a program that you can join the gym for a short while, get versed on the vocab and then do at home?

I'm curious about using it to get ready for the winter but wondering if anyone has experience with it?

vern

Post by vern »

Get a couple of kettlebells and go to town. There are plenty of videos on youtube to check out and you can pick up some books and dvds. (Enter the Kettlebell is the best one for beginners.)
I've lost about 40 pounds over the last three years with kbs, XC skiing, and running. I've never paid a penny to a gym and you don't have to either.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Crossfit has gotten tremendously popular and thus a lot of people (personal trainers) are trying to cash in on it.
I don't think most people need a personal trainer. In terms of crossfit the only thing I'd pay for is some instruction in how to do the olympic lifts using a barbell (and I'd probably be happier to join a weightlifting team/coach to learn this than someone who got a crossfit certification). However, I'd probably just skip those WODs (since they appear to be chosen at random anyway) and use the KB lifts instead.
Creating a crossfit home gym can cost you anything from a very little to a few thousand for olympic standard weights and platforms. This is where I like the KB. It costs much less and takes up far less space.

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

Crossfit.com posts the workout of the day don't they? I've thought of just copying that rather than paying to join a pricey gym (like JD on GRS does) - the only downside is maybe not having all the equipment.
Although, we have a local gym that only charges $10/month, that is tempting.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Yes they post them for free,
Only join a gym if you need instruction in Olympic technique (which some instructors might not have down pat anyway) and don't want to substitute KB lifts OR you need a personal trainer to motivate you at $100+/month.
IMHO it's a fairly steep price to pay considering that some WODs are "run 5k" or "do 100 pull ups followed by 200 push ups followed by 300 squats".