How do I design and plan a basement apartment?

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
nico33

Post by nico33 »

Hi:
I want to create a basement apartment. The basement is about 70 percent finished, but with wood paneling. My goal is for a design that would meet the following requirements:
I would still have access to the washing machine/dryer and work bench.
The apartment would have a small bathroom with a standup shower.
The apartment would have a kitchenette with sink, refrigerator, microwave, stove (main kitchen stove on first floor is gas).
The apartment would have some windows.
There would be a way for someone to get in and out of the apartment without entering my first floor living space. The only way I have thought that may work is to install a separate door from the garage to the stairwell. The entry would be from the backyard garage door, into the garage and then to the stairwell door.
I created an informal floor plan of the current space. There is a link below for the plan. You may ned to paste it into your browser. It is not drawn to scale, but it gives you a sense of the space. There are at least two support poles that are not moveable. The space is about 41 feet in total length and about 25 feet in total width.
If possible, I would like to keep some space for storage and an exercise space.
Thank you for your advice.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_mft3V ... sp=sharing

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

HGTV has a show called Income Property where they add rental spaces to homes (usually basements and attics). I'm sure you can find the episodes on youtube. I like his designs and they usually tell you the budget, so you get an idea of how much certain improvements will cost.
Check your zoning laws before you get started. Ours are really strict. The most expensive part can be making sure there is a second egress from the basement. Many townships require a second egress if you put a bedroom in the basement.

m741

Post by m741 »

I'll second jennypenny. The zoning laws are critical. You need to talk to a rental agent in your area, or a lawyer. Make sure you understand the laws and the apartment is compliant with them. Otherwise, you could be sued.