Flexibility in Housing

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
J_

Post by J_ »

“To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often”

Winston Churchill, cited by Jacob.

I have, since living on my own, lived in 10 houses of which the two first were rented; the others I own(ed). In a time-span of 46 years. Only in one case, the house was much too big, measured in ere-needs. It was a pleasant* experience of three-years (after that time-lapse we rented out a part of it, two years later we even sold a bigger part of it)

*It is hard to describe why it was a pleasant experience, it (the former class-rooms) gave a very airy feeling, you think and feel more limitless, I recall. Everything appears possible.
My “housing” grows and decreases (mostly) according to my and my family needs. And sometimes those needs are only to live some time adventurous, or to experience another landscape or country. It is each time my most cherished possession, although I know that I will live there only for some time. Most cherished: I make it as beautiful and special to my taste in colors, fabrics and furniture as possible, without going palatial ;).
We see here in the Forum how personal housing wishes changes in time. First, when building your FI funds it is wise to choose to live cheap (in a RV or one- bedroom apartment), then you start craving for a garden or a shop to be creative with making things. Some want to live Borsodi-style, and some like a hermit-house or go mobile on the road or on water.

And perhaps comes a time that you have to adapt your house to restricted mobility of some kind.
So to be housed as perfect as possible, change your house to your ever changing needs. Think of it of something temporary.

To end with a wink to your ever lurking web of goals: sometimes it is better to rent, but (for me as real estate “pioneer”) with buying, improving and selling you can challenge yourself to have a nice place to live ànd make money.

frugaladventurer

Post by frugaladventurer »

Yes, very good points. I have lived in a variety of homes. Early in my marriage, lived in very nice two-bedroom beach apartment while in school (rented the second bedroom to a room mate for a while). Walking distance to many things, was a nice lifestyle.
Bought our first home, a small (800 sf) decrepit old cottage that we turned into a charming bungalow through lots of sweat. Had our first child there, was also in a very walkable neighborhood near the beach.
We sold it at a profit and bought a luxurious new home in the same area, 2800 s.f. 3 bedrooms 4 baths. We still had only two children at that time and really found the house was larger than we needed, so there were rooms that were wasted.
When we settled in the new town that would be our long-term home, we bought a modest 1950's ranch, about 1800 s.f., 2 baths. It was expensive because of the expensive neighborhood, but was pretty much an ideal size for raising our family of three.
Now I'm divorced and have bought my own house in a much less expensive (but still pleasant) neighborhood. It's large (2350 s.f., 4 bedrooms) but since my kids are all in their early 20's, and since my mother is 81, I wanted to have room for people to live with me as needed. Currently my mom and my oldest son are living here, and there is plenty of space so that we don't get on each other's nerves.
I love this house, but recognize that it might or might not work for me in the future. For instance, I can imagine a future in which none of my kids need shelter and my mom is no longer around. In that case, I would either rent out some of the extra rooms (for money and companionship) OR downsize to a much more manageable size for one. Or rent the whole house out and travel the world - yeah, I like that option! :)
I was thinking just this morning, that large houses like this are mostly possible because of cleaning services. I have a cleaning lady who comes every two weeks and does the heavy work, like bathrooms and floors. If I had to do all the housework myself, I'd downsize in a hurry!

frugaladventurer

Post by frugaladventurer »

Yes, very good points. I have lived in a variety of homes. Early in my marriage, lived in very nice two-bedroom beach apartment while in school (rented the second bedroom to a room mate for a while). Walking distance to many things, was a nice lifestyle.
Bought our first home, a small (800 sf) decrepit old cottage that we turned into a charming bungalow through lots of sweat. Had our first child there, was also in a very walkable neighborhood near the beach.
We sold it at a profit and bought a luxurious new home in the same area, 2800 s.f. 3 bedrooms 4 baths. We still had only two children at that time and really found the house was larger than we needed, so there were rooms that were wasted.
When we settled in the new town that would be our long-term home, we bought a modest 1950's ranch, about 1800 s.f., 2 baths. It was expensive because of the expensive neighborhood, but was pretty much an ideal size for raising our family of three.
Now I'm divorced and have bought my own house in a much less expensive (but still pleasant) neighborhood. It's large (2350 s.f., 4 bedrooms) but since my kids are all in their early 20's, and since my mother is 81, I wanted to have room for people to live with me as needed. Currently my mom and my oldest son are living here, and there is plenty of space so that we don't get on each other's nerves.
I love this house, but recognize that it might or might not work for me in the future. For instance, I can imagine a future in which none of my kids need shelter and my mom is no longer around. In that case, I would either rent out some of the extra rooms (for money and companionship) OR downsize to a much more manageable size for one. Or rent the whole house out and travel the world - yeah, I like that option! :)
I was thinking just this morning, that large houses like this are mostly possible because of cleaning services. I have a cleaning lady who comes every two weeks and does the heavy work, like bathrooms and floors. If I had to do all the housework myself, I'd downsize in a hurry!

J_

Post by J_ »

@C40 "The problem for me ...... is the size of available homes (or even what I would be allowed to build myself)."
The same problem figures in the Forum more often. But as the US has a shortage of small houses or regulations which does not allow to build smaller one's it must be creativity in thinking and doing to find the solution.
So: You buy a standard (too big) home. But before, you have studied the possibility of splitting it into two home's. To give each one an own entrance, an own drive-way (often an own garage is not possible). And you have studied and found a solution for having each house a kitchen and bathroom(s).
Of course the main thing is that the house part that will be yours will have the spaces and sizes you particular want, e.g. a garage as shop, the garden as kitchen garden etc. So the house and it grounds are split up to your own likes. But keep in mind that the part you will not use yourself must be attractive enough to find some-one who will rent it, or (later) buy it.
The flip-side can be that this is perhaps against the zoning regulation. Canit be done for a friend or a family-member who cannot live on his/hers own? Even for a imaginary friend or family member? Look for loopholes in the regulation, look for the exceptions, be creative in that part too.
If you find this method risky, you are perhaps right, so keep the costs of splitting the house low, then your possible loss will be small.
Who dares? Who did dare?