A Pleasure From Having The Heat Off...

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
FrugalZen

Post by FrugalZen »

Just trolling the forums again but its 46 degrees out so I'm under the Electric Blanket with the house heat turned off.
I don't know about anyone else but I personally like the smell the heat from the blanket causes the cotton sheets to emit...it smells just like they do when you're ironing them or there hot fromt he dryer...at least I find it very pleasant.
And unintended consequence of being a Cheap SOB???

TheWanderingScholar

Post by TheWanderingScholar »

I love electric blankets actually. And I agree on liking the smell of them.

Christopherjart

Post by Christopherjart »

you don't need an electric blanket at that temperature. just sleep under multiple regular blankets. Homes aren't heated here in Mexico City so in the winter it will often get near freezing during the night (and some days during the day it will stay around 3degrees C. You'll notice that every family has about 3-4 warm blankets per bed so we don't freeze.

Christopherjart

Post by Christopherjart »

you don't need an electric blanket at that temperature. just sleep under multiple regular blankets. Homes aren't heated here in Mexico City so in the winter it will often get near freezing during the night (and some days during the day it will stay around 3degrees C. You'll notice that every family has about 3-4 warm blankets per bed so we don't freeze.

FrugalZen

Post by FrugalZen »

Sounds like older homes here in the Southern US....no heat and no A/C.
Thought about the multiple blanket approach and even found a blanket on Amazon that has a "space blanket" type metalized reflective layer on one side of it...couldn't quite convince myself to buy one to try it out.
I think I like the ability to adjust the temperature so that its just right...with blankets you remove or add but then you might still be too cold or too hot.
Even though it uses Electricity the ability to leave the heat off caused my power bill to drop over $100 last January...
I got the blanket on Amazon on sale [strange too...beige color was on sale almost 40% off vs. other colors...you'd expect the colors to be on sale...oh well]
Like $64...free shipping..{yeah right!!}...paid for itself in less than 3 weeks.