The Last Cup of Coffee You Will Ever Buy (Make)?

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
jforest

Post by jforest »

I made the move recently away from a drip coffee maker to a moka express. (Stove top espresso maker) and I love it. 3 parts, no moving parts, will last forever. It was only 25 dollars too. I don't think I can complain about that!
I think it makes a far better cup of coffee that I was used to, but I am not a connoisseur.

Violet West

Post by Violet West »

I use a plastic drip filter cone that sits on top of a cup, and you pour boiled water on it. Makes fantastic coffee--much better than anything out of a "coffee pot" -- but you do need to use a fair amount of coffee.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@Violet - Try to use a thermometer to keep the temperature of the water at 194F before pouring it in. It'll be even better.

MattF

Post by MattF »

+1 on the AeroPress. I just recently found out about this and had one delivered yesterday. I made my first cup this morning and it was great!
The main thing I love about it is the size and simplicity. Hopefully I can convince the wife to get ride of the giant coffee maker we have to clear up some kitchen counter space.

irukandjisting

Post by irukandjisting »

lol... can handle the Nescafe myself hehe @ dot_com
but
Robert Timms makes a 'coffee bag', not unlike a tea bag
In a black box in the coffee section, naturally, lol.... I like the Mocha blend - pour boiling water over said bag in cup n in 2-3 minutes - bewwwtifullll
I only have 1-2 cups of coffee a day, by choice - and a large box which I buy on special, is about 20c a bag
Easy n tasty - no mucking about coffee
~~Iru~~

nycjeff

Post by nycjeff »

It seems like this could be useful if you're handy with tools:

http://www.make-digital.com/make/vol08/?pg=118#pg118

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I'm out of coffee filters for the first time in years, and I was looking for a better alternative to the paper basket-style filters (my pot didn't come with a reusable filter). Are there any other alternatives? Is there a type of fabric that could be used like muslin? tea towel fabric? I might try fashioning some filters that I could wash and reuse out of fabric.
All I found when I searched was this thread. It doesn't really address making coffee less expensive, just better. I thought I'd bump it anyway for the newbies. If I get the chance I'll put some of this info on the wiki.

Seneca

Post by Seneca »

@jennypenny- First, thanks for bumping this. I've been wanting a burr grinder but didn't want another appliance. That Zassenhaus is what I wanted.
Do you have something against the screen type filters? They are $4-5 and they last forever. I'd think you should be able to find one that fits your machine.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

I ended up going this route for grinder:

http://www.amazon.com/Hario-MSS-1B-Mini ... 001804CLY/
Perfect amount to make a large 12oz cup of french press. By the time the water boils I am done cranking.

Adjustable ceramic grinder that produces much more even grain than a cheap electric grinder. The whole thing breaks down for cleaning which I do maybe once or twice a month.
After 2 years near daily use no broken parts, but parts kits are available... I am happy with it, even happier it wasn't $200 and the size of a blender.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

@Seneca--I guess I can try that idea. I don't want to buy filters anymore. (It's always so nice to eliminate things permanently from my grocery list.)

secretwealth

Post by secretwealth »

I have to recommend a French press, which I've been using instead of a drip or other machine for about 4-5 years. The coffee gets colder faster, but the taste is so much better. The key is that the oils from the beans stay in your coffee instead of getting stuck in the filter, which makes the coffee richer. You can also seep the beans for longer, making a darker, richer coffee with less beans.
I'd love to get a burr grinder--freshly ground coffee is much fresher.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

+1 to the French press. Dead simple, no ongoing costs, and easy to clean thoroughly.
It's true that coffee cools down rather quickly in the press. I just pour it into an insulated carafe after it's done brewing; you could also use a Thermos. Also there are ceramic presses that are supposed to be better insulators than the thin glass in traditional presses.

jzt83

Post by jzt83 »

For those who use an aluminum stovetop moka espresso maker, are you concerned about possibly increasing your risk of getting Alzheimer's?

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Any recommendations for a specific French Press?

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

@jenny: I'd say hands down the Frieling stainless steel presses... Maybe I'm just clumsy, cluttered or always in a rush but I know I would have broken a handful of glass ones over the last few years.
It's also nice that I can tap it against a bin to get the grounds out without worrying about damaging it... Expensive, but very durable and hold their value.

secretwealth

Post by secretwealth »

I've used Bodum with no problems, but someone else did break my last Bodum french press. I don't know how--I've never been able to break one, but there you have it.
JohnnyH, would you say those are easier to clean than the glass ones, or does it not make much difference? The one thing I dislike about French presses is they are a pain to clean.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

@secret: Make clean, or make pretty? They clean about the same, but making the steel shine is easier than removing coffee stain from the glass.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

@JohnnyH--This?

http://www.amazon.com/Frieling-Polished ... teel+press
$70 ouch! Plus, I don't own a kettle (is that how you heat the water?) so I'd have to buy one of those too.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

@jenny: That's it... Yikes, I paid about half that a few years ago.

Quite a few on ebay, maybe you could find a used one for half.
Also use a kettle. Wanted an electric, but couldn't find one that didn't have plastic in contact with the hot water.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

I've been satisfied with used Bodum French presses bought from thrift stores. I broke one by dropping it while moving, but haven't had one break in regular use. The Frieling does look nice though. We keep two presses so that we can brew two batches at once for guests.
The minimalist alternative to a kettle is to just boil water on a saucepan. I can attest that this works but you have to be careful pouring. Kettles are pretty cheap and durable though.