Bargain hunt success stories

Move along, nothing to see here!
Mirwen

Post by Mirwen »

Today I did the round of thrift store and Craigslist, looking for odds and ends I needed. I got some really amazing finds and wanted to share. What great deals have you found lately?
Wooden armchair for dining table (modern style)- $5

Metal shelving unit $10

Burley Solo bike trailer (looks new) - $80

4 pair shorts (LL Bean and other yuppie brands) - $2 each
I can't believe I got a Burley trailer for under $100. I'm sure I can sell it for more than I paid for. I saw a used on one Ebay for $320. I'm finally convinced that I can shop without it costing me anything. Thanks Jacob and ERE folks. Now I'm torn as to whether to use the trailer or sell it right away.

BennKar

Post by BennKar »

In America anyway, if you live somewhere that there are enough yard sales within a reasonable difference (like where I live), you are crazy not to go to yard sales. Almost everything I wear I have gotten like new at them, many, many things in the house I have gotten that way too. Often you can buy things and with a little work (hour or less) have furniture / appliances that look like new for a lot less than even a thrift store. I've resold items as well - this year my re-sales have made more than I have spent on everything so far - and I've gotten tons of things I needed / wanted in the process. Its gotten to the point I am very selective now since there is so little I want. I also want to avoid clutter. I even buy things for relatives and their kids - makes me look like the great uncle/cousin/son/etc... when I visit.
As for being torn on the trailer, try using it for a bit and see if you can find other things to resell to pay for your trailer.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

The good thing about good deals is that they have a low cost-anchor point. For example, I got a free nashbar bike trailer on freecycle. Then later gave it away again ...

dot_com_vet

Post by dot_com_vet »

Ditto on garage sales! We buy lots of kids things for pennies on the dollar. (Or 10% of what they sell for on Ebay.)
Where to get top deals:
1) Garage Sales

2) Thrift Stores

3) Craigslist

4) Ebay

5) Amazon.com

6) Brick and Mortar Retail

7) Pawn Stores

Ego

Post by Ego »

Cost-anchor price.... I like that. We move frequently and have found it so much easier to relinquish the stuff we bought second-hand than it is to get rid of the new stuff. So we rarely buy new. We look at most purchases as profit-making or low-cost rentals where we acquire the item from one person and return it to another. It works for everything but consumables.
This morning I rented two pairs of Pearl Izumi cycling shorts from Goodwill and will likely return them via ebay to someone else before we take off again.... hopefully at a small profit.

elohimrules

Post by elohimrules »

Iv'e found $80 sunglasses, $120 worth brandname perfume, clothing, notebooks, chinese money, indian jewelry...all at the local dumpster for free. College kids in town here dont recycle they throw expensive stuff out. This weekend two expensive stereos outside one Pioneer, but alas, im not a hoarder ;)

elohimrules

Post by elohimrules »

Freecycle.com is also a wonderful website and the free section on craigslist