LA Area - Saturday, May 12th

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
enfier

Post by enfier »

We had a lot of fun at the last meetup, so let's do another! I'll volunteer my house for the location. I'm in Highland Park 0.8 mi / 1.2 km off the Metro Gold Line. If we are going to have it at my place, I'll PM everyone the exact address. In the last thread we had a suggestions of a lentils/homebrew potluck, though I'm thinking that it might be easier if I just provided the food and beer since bringing a dish might be tough for those traveling without a car.
I'm fully open to any suggestions or ideas.

J.O.S.H.

Post by J.O.S.H. »

Would likely take me two hours each direction. :( Sounds fun, though.

enfier

Post by enfier »

I'm up to any suggestions for a change in venue. Let's see who else wants to go and perhaps you could catch a carpool out. I've got a car, so the west side isn't too hard for me.

RelicO

Post by RelicO »

I like the idea! For some misanthropic reason, a public place seems nicer to me...More ERE minded, to me anyway. Like a public park?
Also, I don't drink alcohol so that leaves me quite the fuddy duddy!:)
Maybe a nice vegetarian potluck lunch in a public, accessible park? Picnic and poker and sociological analysis and discussion.
I do look forward to the company as we are all pretty bright!

Bytta

Post by Bytta »

Interesting. I think I will still be here, but not sure if people are allowed to "gamble" in public park (?) :)

I'm fine either way.

enfier

Post by enfier »

I prefer having it at someone's house as well. It's not essential as I'm comfortable with wherever, but it seems nicer to be in someone's house. After all, I'm looking to make friends that have similar values, why keep everyone out of my house? Everyone I've met seems really cool.
I'll be the first to admit the my house isn't very EREish, as I bought it before I started down the personal finance / early retirement path. However it's hardly a beacon to consumerism and the benefit is that it makes for a great gathering place where I can have friends over.
I also realize that ERE and being on an online forum attracts a personality type that is tends to be introverted. I'm an INTJ myself so I understand completely. I certainly wouldn't want anyone to not go because they feel uncomfortable with the setting. Organizing an gathering for introverts is always a challenge :)
That being said, I'm sure we can all come to a consensus that is acceptable to everybody and a lot of fun. Just list your preferences and any dealbreakers and we'll come up with a place in no time.
Venue: I prefer someone's house. It seems more comfortable and friendly to me, plus I'm curious to see how people live.

Alcohol: I'd love to share some homebrews

Dealbreakers: I have plans on the weekends before May 12th.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Venue: OK with either but find residences more comfortable. However public spaces seem more welcoming to newcomers. So I suggest alternating or something if this is a recurring event.
Location: Flexible. In ERE-principle locations should be accessible by bike/transit but I am willing to drive occasionally. I am South of LA so I'm less likely to travel to North LA or the Valley.
Alcohol: Would certainly partake in moderation. I'd share homebrews in the future but am actually out right now.
Dealbreakers: I *may* be available the weekend of 5/12; besides that am booked until June (meh). As I said in the other thread, don't let that stop you guys.

RelicO

Post by RelicO »

Ok, I'm down!:)
Let us know where to go and when, I'll be there. No more whining from me.
And thanks for offering your abode, Mike. Sounds like a plan.

enfier

Post by enfier »

Just got back from camping up at Big Sur!
OK, so let's have it at my place. The next one can be on the west side :) My wife and I are fine with taking care of the food to simplify things, but if you want to bring something just let us know what you are bringing.
Could we get a volunteer to bring:

Poker Chips (haven't got any)

Josh if he's willing to carpool.

Bytta

Post by Bytta »

Great! I should be ok on that day and I will take Mark with me. We're coming from the Silver Lake area if anyone wants to hitch a ride. Unfortunately, don't have poker chips.

RelicO

Post by RelicO »

I don't have poker chips...I could bring Josh though. Josh you have my number, you can bus it to my corner from S. Monica and we'll drive together if you like. PM me if you lost my number.
Cool stuff!
I'm good for some home-made hummus and some yummy Calidad tostadas for dipping. Corn based, gluten free.
And maybe I'll bake some pastries as well. Maybe some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. I still have some ingredients from the last batch. But this time I want to do it with whole wheat flour. I am trying to avoid anything with bleached white flour. That stuff is probably crappy for you.

J.O.S.H.

Post by J.O.S.H. »

Count me in, JoeShmoe. I'll have to double check I don't have a work-related thing that day, or have to field the person moving in with me at my 'old'/current place. But it sounds awesome. I would PM you, but it seems the system is super-whack right now. I'll get back to you.

RelicO

Post by RelicO »

Good for you for finding a roommate!!!
Right on...

enfier

Post by enfier »

A coworker is going to loan me a poker chip set so we're all set on that front.

RelicO

Post by RelicO »

Sweet! Yay.

Bytta

Post by Bytta »

Great! It'll be fun!

Bytta

Post by Bytta »

I was gonna make my delicious oatmeal-choc-chip-walnut-cookies and go on a cookie showdown with Mr. Shmoe :) but decided instead to bring Mark's homemade guacamole with multigrain pita chips and other crackers.

enfier

Post by enfier »

Does 3PM work for everyone?

RelicO

Post by RelicO »

Good on my end...