you are your own gym (Mark Lauren)

Move along, nothing to see here!
lazyboy

Post by lazyboy »

Hi, I´m not sure if it`s worse to buy Mark Laurens book: you are your own gym

I´m looking for a good book with some simple training plan to get back in shape. Is there someone who has experiences with this, or some better cheap book?

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

I think some replies might depend on your definition of being in shape. Walking up a flight of stairs without being winded or completing a triathlon?

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

I am not familiar with that book, but I would bet that you can find the same information on line if you don't mind a little surfing in the category of "body weight exercises".
fyi -- I just looked at his website and it lists lots of workouts for free. See: http://www.marklauren.com/20-minute-wor ... ml#ladders If you don't understand what the exercise is, look for a video. None of this is rocket science.
IMO, in this day and age, most of what books give you is motivation. The idea that you paid for something makes you more likely to give it a good try.
But George is right -- if you are completely sedentary, just taking walks outside or riding a bicycle is a good start. But if you are trying to "get ripped" you would need a much more developed program. Most people are somewhere in between.
I personally like a lot of the advice at Mark's Daily Apple, particularly his "exercise pyramid". Part of that is that he is over 50 so I know he's probably not going to kill me with his recommendations. You can get a free fitness book here for the price of an email address: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-b ... z1oYZQaJdA

livinlite

Post by livinlite »

I'll second what Dragline said about buying books vs looking online...it doesn't take much to learn bodyweight exercises from YouTube.
That said, I bought Ross Enmiat's "Never Gymless". It has enough to make a serious bad-ass out of you if you follow what's there..
I'm still recovering from a strained sternum from an afternoon of too many burpees :(
Just cuz its bodyweight, don't mean it's foolproof..

lazyboy

Post by lazyboy »

you are right, I should have explained a little more.
Ok, its not I´m not able to walk longer distances or get up some stairs without getting breathless, but Ive got some excess fat around my belly I want to get rid of.

And some stronger chest and back would be nice too.
@Dragline: thx for the link I downloaded the book and it looks real great.

simplex

Post by simplex »

I have the book and i think it offers good value for the price. The exercises are nice and i can follow them. i prefer a book over glancing at a screen during exercise, thus in that sense i can recommend the book.
The exercises are typical bodyweight exercises you can find at different places online also. However the book also has an exercise scheme (plan), which in that form is not online. This exercise scheme is nicely set up, but once you get more experienced you should modify the scheme to your needs.
Be aware that the exercises are a combination of power and high-intensity training. So it's not a maximum power (body building) type book and not endurance training. It's more like whole body muscular workouts at different intensity levels. I also think you should combine the exercises with some stretching routines (not covered in the book).

lazyboy

Post by lazyboy »

thanks simplex, thats exact the information I was looking for.

I need some kind of exercise plan to follow, because just to know the exercises doesn`t bring me to train on regular basis.

riparian

Post by riparian »

Try simplefit.org