Just Gravy

Where are you and where are you going?
suomalainen

Re: Just Gravy

Post by suomalainen »

Agree regarding gaslighting. Segues into a current topic on @urgud's journal, but bosses are always trying to get workers to accept boss' concerns as more important than their own. No, buddy. Listen, I understand that, to you, the job is more important than my life. But don't try to get me to change my mind that, to me, the job should be more important than my [health, kids, family, hobby, whatever].

thef0x

Post by thef0x »

Totally agree @suo, leverage is key. I'm speaking for the perspective of someone who would want to keep my staff member while simultaneously being (potentially) frustrated at it's cost(s).

Cal Newport is a bit of a productivity junky but his book "So good they cant ignore you" seems like a solid framework to enhance professional leverage. ERE in general as well; FU money is the ultimate leverage.

Writing my post grossed me out a little bit, I don't like occupying that frame of mind even if I've had to; my solution has always been overpay staff so we incur less headcount turbulence but we all have to live our lives.

BnG sorry again that your reception to more fulfilment and excitement in life was met with obstacles... Seems to me that doing 'different' means getting a few looks from the crowd, for better or worse. Maybe that's a good heuristic/ mile marker: if you're not pissing off a few normies, are you really living? ;)

Biscuits and Gravy

Post by Biscuits and Gravy »

@thef0x Hm, not sure where you read that I’m looking for more fulfillment or excitement in life. I’ve got fulfillment coming out of my ears and if I feel even slightly bored I can think about @suomalainen naked and I feel excited all the way to the tips of my toes. No, I’m just burnt out and tired and stretched waaaaay too thin.

I have leverage at work through my good relationships, good work, and (faked) winning personality. I also have some FU money and a supportive partner. I can see all of this from my employer’s perspective, and I won’t be a dick about quitting because I’m a decent human, but ultimately it is their problem to replace me. They have all the power and money, after all. I’m just a peon.

I dunno. If I leave, I can cash out my annuity for about $25k and cash out my vacation time for another $8k and with DH supplementing me I can stretch that a hella long time, I bet. At least enough time to get back into shape and do RAGBRAI 2025 and enjoy some quality, non-rushed time with my loved ones.

thef0x

Post by thef0x »

Apologies for making those assumptions! The idea that you can be stretched too thin while simultaneously living at maximum fulfillment makes me think differently, appreciate that mental 180; maybe I've been thinking about fulfillment 'wrong' for quite some time.

Whichever way you land, sounds like it's gravy. Cheers to that!

Biscuits and Gravy

Heeeey I see what you did there. Cheers! :p

Biscuits and Gravy

Candidly

Tornadoes and a derecho blew through Houston. It’s been really difficult to witness the destruction to my neighborhood and beloved city. Trees, signs, people, and buildings chewed up by Nature. We rebuild thoughtlessly and quickly. We are like ants.

The kids are 6 and nearly 5. My daughter looks and acts like her dad’s sister. She has my stubbornness, but what else. My son looks like me, but with his dad’s enormous blue eyes, and he has my big feelings and his dad’s quick and savage temper. It’s not a good combination, as the scratches on my arm can attest.

Suo and I decided I should quit my job, but I find myself putting it off and making excuses. I feel anxious. Anxious to give up the status and anxious to be financially dependent on another. Sometimes I’m swept away by the possibilities of recovering 60 hours of my week and discharging all of the thoughts and obligations that come with traditional work. I daydream about getting in shape, running an efficient household, and optimizing. Heh, optimizing. Sometimes I feel like that’s what all the struggle is about. To make the best or most effective use of… this fucked up life.

But, it’s a process. I’m scouring the organization to find a decent replacement for myself before I have The Conversation with my boss. He’s been good to me. I don’t wanna leave him in a lurch.