Bicycle7's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
guitarplayer

Re: Bicycle7's Journal

Post by guitarplayer »

5-8mph sounds good to me. Yes I thought maybe it would be wearing off quicker on tarmac, but then again it should not matter much in any case when roads are used only occasionally (e.g. to link off road bits).

Think the key is to have a setup where partially deflated tires will still perform. I rode on off road tracks with my trekking bike but the bumpiness can be really tiring for arms, and also at one trip my rack (it was a poor quality rack for sure) broke because of vibrations. Then I had to cycle down the Slovenia-Austria pass near the Triglav national park (with 20-30% decline and 180 turns, though this was on a road fortunately) with a broken rack and two loaded panniers - but that's another story.

Bicycle7

Re: Bicycle7's Journal

Post by Bicycle7 »

@jacob: yeah, I've thought of that type of tire pattern being pretty clever. My only concern would be when I need to stand up to climb on a loose surface and the rear tire spinning and braking performance on loose surfaces. I do wish for less rolling resistance on the road sections though!
@guitarplayer: yeah, just road vibrations and bumps can start to become really tiring. That descent sounds like a great story! I'd love to hear about it sometime :)