Hunting for Food: A Primer

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
white belt

Re: Hunting for Food: A Primer

Post by white belt »

I'm resurrecting this thread to share some information about my hunting pursuits. My situation is on the other end of the spectrum compared to @theanimal's. I'm in a densely populated area on the east coast and recently discovered that some local counties have an urban archery deer management program. Deer population density is highest in urban and suburban areas, which results in lots of vehicular injuries as well as destruction of local gardens. So, the county has a program that takes groups into public parks and private lands in a special early archery season for deer. To apply, I have to have a hunting license and go to a local range to demonstrate proficiency with an arrow grouping at 20 and 30 yards.

I've been surfing listings of used crossbows in my area and it looks like I found a good option. I don't have the time or interest to learn how to shoot with a compound bow, so it seems that a crossbow is the more reasonable choice for my situation. In every state that I have an interest in hunting in, crossbows are legal during the entire archery season. Although I've never shot a crossbow, my understanding is that they are almost exactly the same as shooting a firearm in terms of accuracy. So if I can pick up a crossbow this weekend, then I can get to work hitting up nearby ranges for practice so I can complete my qualification before the application is due in the next month or so.

I do also plan on using the crossbow for deer hunting on public lands because that fits into my web of goals. However, I'm hopeful that I'll get accepted by the county program because it seems like a much cleaner solution for a relative newbie. From what I've heard, it's not uncommon for each hunter to hit their tag limit in a few short hours, without having to do really any tracking or extended preparation. I'd like to build up to hiking into multi-day hunts in backcountry State and National Forests, but I think for now this is a good starting point. Backcountry hunting on the east coast isn't anything compared to the western states, however there are many areas that are off the beaten path because most hunters are not willing to hunt areas with limited vehicle access.

sky

Post by sky »

Do you have Chronic Wasting Disease in the deer herd in your area?

VinceJ

Post by VinceJ »

white belt wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:31 pm
I'm resurrecting this thread to share some information about my hunting pursuits. My situation is on the other end of the spectrum compared to @theanimal's. I'm in a densely populated area on the east coast and recently discovered that some local counties have an urban archery deer management program. Deer population density is highest in urban and suburban areas, which results in lots of vehicular injuries as well as destruction of local gardens. So, the county has a program that takes groups into public parks and private lands in a special early archery season for deer. To apply, I have to have a hunting license and go to a local range to demonstrate proficiency with an arrow grouping at 20 and 30 yards.

I've been surfing listings of used crossbows in my area and it looks like I found a good option. I don't have the time or interest to learn how to shoot with a compound bow, so it seems that a crossbow is the more reasonable choice for my situation. In every state that I have an interest in hunting in, crossbows are legal during the entire archery season. Although I've never shot a crossbow, my understanding is that they are almost exactly the same as shooting a firearm in terms of accuracy. So if I can pick up a crossbow this weekend, then I can get to work hitting up nearby ranges for practice so I can complete my qualification before the application is due in the next month or so.

I do also plan on using the crossbow for deer hunting on public lands because that fits into my web of goals. However, I'm hopeful that I'll get accepted by the county program because it seems like a much cleaner solution for a relative newbie. From what I've heard, it's not uncommon for each hunter to hit their tag limit in a few short hours, without having to do really any tracking or extended preparation. I'd like to build up to hiking into multi-day hunts in backcountry State and National Forests, but I think for now this is a good starting point. Backcountry hunting on the east coast isn't anything compared to the western states, however there are many areas that are off the beaten path because most hunters are not willing to hunt areas with limited vehicle access.
Crossbows are "similar" to rifle but range/dropdown and travel time are a lot different, hence why you still would need practice quite a bit(but nowhere close to learning how to use a bow obviously).
Problem with limited vehicle access areas is that: well, you shot the deer but how are you going to carry it back to the camp/car. A lot of folks around here are using quads with sleds for that matter, apparently it works(I think most people are renting those for the season or something)

white belt

Post by white belt »

@Sky
Yes, there is confirmed CWD in a few counties in the state, although not in the county I'm interested in hunting. The state has extra regulations in place for areas that have reported cases of CWD to minimize the spread.

@VinceJ
Right, I expect there to be a bit of a learning curve, but others I've talked to have said it's pretty consistent once you have a sight zeroed and are comfortable shooting the weapon after a few range sessions. The urban archery program requires me to qualify by shooting 3/3 arrows in a 6.25 inch target at 20 yards as well as 2/3 in a 6.25 inch target at 30 yards. I have to qualify from a standing position but can use a rest or monopod/bipod. Given the location of the program and the fact that many deer are acclimated to human contact, I suspect that most shots taken are closer than what would typically be taken if hunting public lands.

When hunting the backcountry, most backpackers use the gutless method so they can pack the meat out on foot. There are a bunch of videos of it on YouTube, but basically you cut out the parts of the animal you want and leave the parts you don't want. So, you'll cape out the animal where it goes down and leave the guts/spine/ribcage. To save more weight, some will even bone out the shoulders and hindquarters onsite. As you know, each state has its own regulations for what constitutes legal harvesting so obviously you still have to abide by those.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Given your fitness regimen, I don't think you will have any issue packing out a whitetail on foot anywhere on the east coast. The gutless method is the style where you dress out the animal without removing any of the guts. Another style is to remove the guts first and then proceed to dress out the animal. I've done both and what you like will come down to a matter of personal preference.

Worst case scenario when packing on foot is you have to make multiple trips. We see a ton of waste up here with people that use four wheelers and side by sides as they will just throw the whole animal on to their rear rack/bed, load it up in the pickup and then drive back to town THEN dress it. By that time, the guts have slow cooked some of the meat inside, the animal is bloated and some of the meat has gone bad. There is unfortunately a lot of meat found in the dumpsters at the transfer stations come hunting season.

Good luck, and keep us posted. This sounds like a great opportunity. I have a crossbow and would lend you mine if we were closer distance. Your assumptions are right that it's very similar to a rifle, so once you get sighted in you should be making headway in no time.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I just discovered that Steven Rinella (of Meateater) wrote a two volume series directly in line with the theme of this thread. I have not read them, but his guides are usually known for being high quality. Both volumes have perhaps the highest ratings I've ever seen on Amazon for a book. 4.9 stars from ~6k ratings and 4.9 stars from 3.6k ratings respectively. My library has both volumes and I will be placing a hold on them. I will report back with a review once I'm done.

The Complete Guide to Hunting, Butchering, and Cooking Wild Game: Volume 1: Big Game

The Complete Guide to Hunting, Butchering, and Cooking Wild Game: Volume 2: Small Game and Fowl

white belt

Post by white belt »

theanimal wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:37 pm
I just discovered that Steven Rinella (of Meateater) wrote a two volume series directly in line with the theme of this thread.
Thanks for posting this resource. Although I did purchase a crossbow, I didn't have time this past year to go hunting. However, with my semi-retirement in the next few months, I should have ample time come Fall for White-Tail Deer season. I'm looking forward to your review.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

theanimal wrote:
I just discovered that Steven Rinella (of Meateater) wrote a two volume series directly in line with the theme of this thread.
The first volume arrived from the library and I've been reading through it over the past week. The book is broken up into five sections:
-Gear
-Tactics and strategies
-Big Game: Species and Methods
-Butchering
-Cooking Big Game

It takes a very comprehensive approach and tries to cover everything and as a result it doesn't go much into depth on anything. For the beginning hunter, I could see it being a very useful resource as it's a good jumping off point and familiarizes one with many of topics/points of consideration in hunting.

There isn't anything particularly groundbreaking that you couldn't find elsewhere, but I'd be hard pressed to point to another resource that contains all of this information as succinctly in one package. Coming across this when I was first starting out would have saved a lot of time searching for bits and pieces in other places. Especially when it comes to gear, Rinella is helpful in this volume in aiding those just starting out, stating what he thinks is worth shelling out for (glass and optics) and what's not (clothing), further mentioning later on that all the top gear won't help an lazy, unskilled hunter.

For the intermediate or advanced hunter, the book is a lot less useful. However, there are some excellent illustrations in the "Tactics and Strategies section" covering things like shot placement, glassing strategy, how thermals act on different terrain, and probable animal habitat, among other things.

Shot placement illustrations

Glassing strategy illustration

Glassing strategy illustration

The Big Game section takes up nearly half the book giving an introduction to more than a dozen large North American mammals. The density of information varies, with most having a few pages that offer a limited introduction. Although, the section on elk is comprehensive and there is a discussion of calling and stalking strategies, along with biological information.

The butchering section is short but useful, showing how to skin an animal in the field, then butcher to smaller cuts through dozens of photos. The cooking section has some interesting looking recipes, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't get most of the recipes off the Meateater website.

I'd recommend checking this book out for the beginning hunter or anyone looking to get into hunting. As mentioned, it's not heavy on details, but it serves as a good starting point and covers all the styles of hunting and big mammals that one will encounter in North America. For those who have more experience, it might be worth flipping through if you can find a copy from your library, but I wouldn't go out of your way to get it.

sodatrain

Post by sodatrain »

theanimal wrote:
I just discovered that Steven Rinella (of Meateater) wrote a two volume series directly in line with the theme of this thread. I have not read them, but his guides are usually known for being high quality. Both volumes have perhaps the highest ratings I've ever seen on Amazon for a book. 4.9 stars from ~6k ratings and 4.9 stars from 3.6k ratings respectively. My library has both volumes and I will be placing a hold on them. I will report back with a review once I'm done.

The Complete Guide to Hunting, Butchering, and Cooking Wild Game: Volume 1: Big Game

The Complete Guide to Hunting, Butchering, and Cooking Wild Game: Volume 2: Small Game and Fowl

ooh, how cool. I love his Netflix show! He seems like an awesome dude to spend time with. I never imagined myself a hunter, and he totally piqued my interest. And now... given my current interest in AK, I'm excited about potentially learning how to hunt and fish!