Hello from Germany!

Say hello!!
Akira

Hello from Germany!

Post by Akira »

Hello everyone,

Somehow I came across Jacob's blog and can't remember exactly which link I followed. The first time I was introduced to mindful spending was the minimalism movement that became popular on social media a few years ago. From there to Cait Flanders blog about her journey to becoming debt free and sober. And that led me to Raptitude and then maybe Jacob's ERE blog? (Btw. debt and alcohol are not my problems)

I'm grateful for all the inspiration here and on the blog. Although: I'm a little late to the party, I definitely won't retire early since I'm already turning 50 this year. The end of a stressful relationship a few years ago forced me to turn my attention to my own life, to what I really value and what should be important in my future. Shortly before the pandemic, I began to discover so many new things for myself. I sold a lot of stuff, went vegetarian, discovered solo hiking, started running half marathons, gave up superficial relationships, environmental activism, etc.
I used to devote most of my energy to my children and was caught in the hamster wheel of my job and family life. Fully in daily survival mode, it just didn't occur to me that a different lifestyle might be an option for me. And as my kids were young I simply didn't have the time to develop a relationship with myself and my own needs and desires.

Now I love tracking my expenses and assets with lots of spreadsheets: I have a rough estimate (inflation sucks) of what I can expect from various pension payments. I plan to get off the rat race once my younger children have left the nest and I have supported their studies at university. I know I don't have to do this, but I want to since I've already supported their older sibling. I definitely won't work until I'm 67 (the normal retirement age in Germany), but I still have to see how much I can save to get out of my job earlier and bridge the time until I receive pension payments.

My investment experience is still poor, I bought an apartment a few years ago in my old life and own some company stocks, but I would like to expand my knowledge and make diversified investments.

I'm very interested in frugality, but honestly I'm also afraid of seeming strange in front of, for example, colleagues or people I'm new to. For example the solo hiking with wild camping, one of my colleagues asked me why it always has to be so extreme for me :-)))

Is there anyone my age out there on the path? And not retired yet?

I'm happy to be here and hope to get in touch with lots of like-minded people!

AxelHeyst

Re: Hello from Germany!

Post by AxelHeyst »

Welcome Akira! Glad you're here. :)

It sounds like you're going through an exciting phase shift/transition in your life. Looking forward to following along.

delay

Post by delay »

Welcome and thank you for sharing your story!
Akira wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:06 pm
My investment experience is still poor, I bought an apartment a few years ago in my old life and own some company stocks, but I would like to expand my knowledge and make diversified investments.
The usual advice is to invest money you won't need for 15 to 20 years. If you are 50 years old and want to retire at 62 you need money in 12 years. That seems too soon for investing.

Taking twelve years to save for five years works if you set aside 5/12 = 42% of your income. Very boring, but that's not a bad thing for personal finance.

Akira

Post by Akira »

AxelHeyst wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:05 am
Welcome Akira! Glad you're here. :)

It sounds like you're going through an exciting phase shift/transition in your life. Looking forward to following along.
Thank you for welcoming me.
You have built an impressive online presence, well designed and informative. Thank you also for your transparent journey. I have already begun to delve deeper into your story and the progress you have made.

Akira

Post by Akira »

delay wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:15 pm
The usual advice is to invest money you won't need for 15 to 20 years. If you are 50 years old and want to retire at 62 you need money in 12 years. That seems too soon for investing.

Taking twelve years to save for five years works if you set aside 5/12 = 42% of your income. Very boring, but that's not a bad thing for personal finance.
Hi delay, I am only 49 :D, but thank you for pointing out that the investment period until retirement is too short. I'm still not sure if the pension payments will be enough to cover all needs, maybe I should build up additional investments, but I'm so risk averse as I am just not used to investing. I need to build up more knowledge, all this information here is amazing!

I saw that you are from the Netherlands, do you know a similar community here in Europe?

delay

Post by delay »

Ah, so you've not seen Abraham yet!

There are a few forums about FIRE in The Netherlands, like this topic at Tweakers, the dutchfire reddit, and some bloggers.

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

Akira wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:06 pm
I'm very interested in frugality, but honestly I'm also afraid of seeming strange in front of, for example, colleagues or people I'm new to. For example the solo hiking with wild camping, one of my colleagues asked me why it always has to be so extreme for me :-)))
Welcome. You have come to the right place for frugality and extreme wild camping. Knowing that there are others, even strangers on the internet, that do these things will help you feel less strange. :)