Cooking with pressure cookers - Expanded beyond beans

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Surio

Post by Surio »

Originally written as part of this topic, I realised that this is actually a topic in its own right.
Practically every Indian household has a "few" pressure cookers they own ;-). This "Kuhn-Rikon" types are definitely new (Referred to as second-generation cookers, for good reason) for me. The most common types one will get to see are the 'jiggle' type hissing ones that makes one go "Thar she blows" :-D!
Most common types over here in India (I was surprised to see them on Amazon too) are these two "cooker families: Prestige and Hawkins.. Prestige is now a noun used here for that type of cooker. There are some other companies too such as Butterfly and Pigeon and so on, but those two words are ubiqutuous to refer to pressure cookers.
1. Prestige Cooker
This is a classic variety that you will read about here.... In fact the pictures you see towards the end (safety valve, gasket release..) were scanned from one of the Prestige manuals.. Coz, I have a manual with me :-)
2. Hawkins Pressure Cooker

This category is a "lidded lock-and-seal" variety, where the it is only possible to slot the lid by placing the lid's handle 90-degrees away from the pan and then sliding it over the top of the pan's handle. Lock-and-load.. or some such term comes to mind ;-)
Of couse, there's a lot of material on the Net about the differences in cooking b/w this classic ones and the new generation cookers, so I won't bother here.
These two cookers mentioned above also go on forever like the Kuhn-Rikons and is typically given as marriage gifts, family heirlooms, etc. They are also offered "free" along with different kitchen appliances purchases, gas stoves purchases, etc. I use some of my mothers' which is from the early 70s! The only maintenance costs: rubber gasket changes every 5-6 years (costs less than Rs.100 here), and the safety valve (~Rs.20) melts iff you add too little water and forget to switch it off.

There's also "Milk cookers" for boiling milk(*) that are quite common here.... And yes they whistle a lot too :-D.

(*) and to prevent them from spilling over as typically happens with the milkpan :-(

As a personal preference, DW and I prefer the whistles while cooking, because it serves as a reminder for us while we are pottering about the house doing other things: starting-to-be-done (whistle 1, then reduce heat on stove), semi-done (whistle 3, typically 5-10 mins later), well-done (whistle 5) ;-)
As regards recipes for beans pretty much anything and everything is cooked in these cookers in India... and they really take a very short time too!
Note: So I am going to include some other dishes that one can cook with pressure cookers from here:
For example, cooking a course of Rice, Sambhar, Koottu/Avial, Sundal is managed in a single cooker cycle (less than an hour typically), because of the usage of cooker size fitting "tiffin carriers" (the steel one, not the plastic outer casing on the left) that are typically sold along with the cookers (YaY!) but can also be purchased separately in shops in various sizes (YaY!).

Typical households have pre-prepared spice mixes ready on hand, and this makes cooking and seasoning even faster (Search for Sambhar/Rasam powders and zone in on the one that makes most sense to you ;-])

These cookers are typically multi-purpose, as Idlis(**) are also steamed in these cookers, by leaving the thing to hiss (without the dead-weight/whistle on top) for around 10 mins... Healthy, steamed, cooked and tasty beakfast is ready... So this also contributes to a minimalist Kitchen, without necessarily being called that way here in India, It is just the way my mother and hers did it, so to speak :-D... ;-)
(**) Notice, that wikipedia shows the picture of a "dedicated" Idli cooker, which is itself a bastardised version of a milk cooker, while the caption talks about "Pressure cooker". Ho Ho :-)
Here's some "Indian" bean recipes for thought. Other than the multiple legume "sundals" that I mentioned above, there's "Chole" and there's "Rajma" which bring their own spin to the proceedings, so give it a try before categorising it as a "Moroccan" or a "Tex-Mex" variants. Also, the famous dhal that people order in restaurants is easy to make at home....
Also, to add to Jacob's idea of buying in bulk, you can buy full groundnuts (with the skins, I mean) for real cheap and make yourself healthy snacks in short notice... Just takes 10 minutes more than microwave popcorn but sooo much more healthy and equally tasty.... ;-)
Most of the dishes that happen in our household is Lacto-Vegan (I despise that term, but everyone seems to understands that!) with one extra condition... no onions or garlic in the cuisine either. Some examples can be found here and here, for instance.
Side Note:

Don't be put off the religion aspect in some of the sites provided. In the UK, the ISKCON were known as the "Kitchen Religion" :-D... Such was the draw of their cuisine! Oh, and I am well aware of the "health" benefits of onion/garlic, but I simply get those health benefits from and other vegetables and through other activities. And, I have eaten onion/garlic recipes in other circumstances and when I return to my recipes, I find that lack of them really does not take away anything from the dishes themselves (just IMHO). Your mileage will vary, and I respect that)...

Please feel free to stick to what y'all comfortable with. I am just providing some alternatives and suggestions here to the possibilities that you open up when you are cooking in pressure cookers(!).
(!) and not just the beans
I commonly used to (and continue to) hear that a) there's no way veggies can be cooked without meat, b) only salads can be made with veggies, c) absolutely no nutrition/ no balance d) I don't know how to cook vegetables on their own and make them tasty... e) WHAT!! You use a pressure cooker, those things are sooooo dangerous and lethal! (If I put a rupee aside everytime someone said that, I would have a 4-month emergency fund, seriously!)
Hope you can find those concerns addressed here (barring point (e))
That's all folks! Please shoot a reply if I wasn't clear on certain topics, or if you wanted more discussions.
Best,

Surio.

---

mountainFrugal

Re: Cooking with pressure cookers - Expanded beyond beans

Post by mountainFrugal »

@jacob mentions a Kuhn-Rikon pressure cooker in his book. I owned one. It was great, but I traded it to my old landlord once I got an instant pot. I fry or saute things with the saute function, make bone broth, make soup, use it for all of our staple grains cooking, use it to defrost frozen jars of soup/broth, etc. I do not think the build quality is good as a Kuhn-Rikon (hard to compete with that simplicity), but it has served us for a majority of home cooked meals times with all these different functions. It even comes on van trips to cook for friends. We bought ours in 2017 and it is still going strong as the kitchen workhorse. Worth a look if you trying to up your kitchen game, especially in a studio apartment (where it really shines).

Slevin

Post by Slevin »

Also it is better than the other pressure cookers in one respect; it is insulated on the side walls. Thus less heat is lost, and the cooking is more efficient.

@mF how are you using it to defrost soup jars? Just hot water bath?

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

Slevin wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:14 pm
Also it is better than the other pressure cookers in one respect; it is insulated on the side walls. Thus less heat is lost, and the cooking is more efficient.
@mF how are you using it to defrost soup jars? Just hot water bath?
Great additional point. I have been using like a water bath for defrosting. I place mason jars filled with frozen food into cold water and then turn on the slow cooker. Make sure that you do not put a frozen glass jar into really hot water as it will crack. Better to do it slowly. Also, if you are using mason jars make sure that if they are on their side and start frozen that you double check and potentially re-tighten the lid. The metal might expand a bit more quickly and make it leaky.

thef0x

Post by thef0x »

mountainFrugal wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:40 pm
... I got an instant pot.... We bought ours in 2017 and it is still going strong as the kitchen workhorse.
Ours has extremely melted toes and still works like a charm.

We just scored our second one and use them together to reduce time to meal prep. $36 for a new model at our local thrift store; we see them pop up regularly (along with air friers).

Instantpots also make fresh yogurt! Way more delicious (and potentially sour :shock: ).

I like that they use electricity instead of gas b/c my energy is mostly sourced from hydroelectric power and they are genuinely set and forget, even programmable to wait for XYZ hours before they start cooking.

IME, their biggest downside is their height, making it impossible to sterilize tall jars for shelf stable quarts of broth (we freeze it instead).

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

@thef0x I share the same complaint about the height and utilize the freezer for the exact same reason.

forest_turtle

Post by forest_turtle »

Hi Surio,

Thank you for this informative post. I was looking at pressure cookers at the Indian grocery store recently and this is very helpful.

My favorite food is chana masala. I have always wanted to learn how to make it to save money and enjoy it more often. Please feel free to share your knowledge about this dish. Some of my questions would be,

What is the best recipe?
What is the easiest recipe?
What size pressure cooker should be used?
Any tips and tricks would also be helpful.

fingeek

Post by fingeek »

Can vouch for an instant pot. It cooks cheaper cuts of meat very well - and with the extra rendered down fat - tends to taste better than leaner cuts! Great for roasted meat on its own, and liquid type thinks like curry etc.